Who were the good guys? (O/T )

Childress

But don't you worry, because those of us who understand are by now so sick of you and those like you that we would not lift a finger to put you out if you were on fire, so you can snore on happily.

And soon you will stand alone in the ever - changing world, backed only by those who got their share of bloody Iraq's oil...I am really sick of you and those like you. How dare you accuse anyone of 'moral blindness'? YOU? I'll give you this: I am naive, as I would like to see the world a better place to live for everyone. But what you did was just lowdown.

Indeed this thread should die. And I should have known obvious: "if you put the stick in the **** and stir it's gonna stink even more". I am out of this thread this time for good.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on gentlemen this is a long way off topic and we are certainly no in kindergarten at least last time I looked. So please let's get back to topic or wrap this up before one of the administraors locksd this thread. Which, if I were an administrator I would seriously be thinking about at this point. Thanks guys.

Augusto - you wouldn't know morality if it bit you. But since you are still confused, letting you burn would most certainly improve human survival and future generations. You might even learn something from the experience, though personally I don't care whether you do. If you think about it, improves really depends on a standard of some kind or another, and really, you don't have any, so you see, what happens to you has no moral consequence whatever. I note that your own stated standard had nothing whatever to do with factors like pain, let alone mythical notions like innocence, but then in a dorm room bull session what does any of that matter? It remains a fact that I wouldn't lift a finger to help you, that there is no moral or political solidarity between us of any kind, and I am just fine with that. Meanwhile you pretend to invoke biology but seemed completely shocked when other human beings notice they have no biological reason to give a tinker's cuss about any pain, real or hypothetical, that you might experience. In short you are simply far too stupid and unselfconscious to discuss the matters you think - incorrectly - this thread is about. Back on planet earth, meanwhile, morality is real and exists as a code between men of a certain sort. And sonny, you ain't one of them.

Ok, I've been staying out of this. He who plays with fire gets burned, you know. @Jason, I think your reaction may have been a touch over the top. In any case, this thread seems to have devolved into attacks on people's beliefs and opinions. I think you guys need to either veer back into the realm of philosophy or this thread should be shut down. Is it too much to act civilized to someone, even if you disagree with them?

So, can someone tell me who the "good guys" were?

We keep coming back around to this. 'Good' is completely subjective and based on what that person believes it to be. What is good to one person is not necessarily the same thing to the next person whether they are on the other side of the world or living in the same household.

Trying to figure out whether the Russians or Germans were better ethically in their conduct during WW2 is pointless imo. You want to do that you need to frame the question very specifically as to what you mean by good or better and to narrow down the focus of who we are really discussing. I don't know if we are debating Hitler versus Stalin or just your average boot on the ground on either side. Even that would be to vague tbh since units varied wildly in conduct and orders given. Someone frame the question better and maybe we can get a more focused debate on this because we are just all over the map in this thread.

Augusto - you wouldn't know morality if it bit you. But since you are still confused, letting you burn would most certainly improve human survival and future generations. You might even learn something from the experience, though personally I don't care whether you do. If you think about it, improves really depends on a standard of some kind or another, and really, you don't have any, so you see, what happens to you has no moral consequence whatever.

I didnt say that future generations in general are to be improved but that one should (among other things) aim at improving their probabilty of survival compared to ones own and past generations probability of survival. There is your standard.

I note that your own stated standard had nothing whatever to do with factors like pain, let alone mythical notions like innocence, but then in a dorm room bull session what does any of that matter?

IMO pain is a far too concrete and variable concept to be contained in the very definition of moral behaviour and innocence, by the way, is already implicitly inculded in my definition. What behaviour is morally right and wrong when pain is taken into account is to be derived from the definition on an as-need basis since there would IMO be no point in inculding it in the definition because first, not all beeings perceive pain in the same manner and second, not even all life on earth is capable of perceiving pain.

It remains a fact that I wouldn't lift a finger to help you, that there is no moral or political solidarity between us of any kind, and I am just fine with that.

Well, it may sound odd to you, but taking your example of beeing burnt alive, i would help you if you were litterally on fire, independend of our differences, how innocent you are or you would do the same thinhg for me.

Meanwhile you pretend to invoke biology but seemed completely shocked when other human beings notice they have no biological reason to give a tinker's cuss about any pain, real or hypothetical, that you might experience.

There are clear biological reasons for why humans are capable of empathy or sympathy (and thus 'giving a tinkers cuss', as you put it, about suffering they witness). How far those senses are developed in an individual may partially depend on the past experiences of the individual, the capability for empathy and sympathy though is determined by our genetical code wich is obiviously part of human biology.

In short you are simply far too stupid and unselfconscious to discuss the matters you think - incorrectly - this thread is about. Back on planet earth, meanwhile, morality is real and exists as a code between men of a certain sort. And sonny, you ain't one of them.

I am not going to respond to your inappropriate and and dull personal insults anymore, but, out of curiousity, what do you think was this thread initially about? And it is intersting too that you apparently exclude women from beeing capable of morale behaviour, btw.

I don't know if we are debating Hitler versus Stalin or just your average boot on the ground on either side.

Third option: the oficial behaviour of Russia and Germany as a collectives represented by their legislative, executive and judicative instances. For example Germany in 1935 passed a law that prohibited marriage between jews and aryans wich could now be discussed. Another, more war related, example would be the Commissar Order of 1941.

Augusto - you wouldn't know morality if it bit you. But since you are still confused, letting you burn would most certainly improve human survival and future generations. You might even learn something from the experience, though personally I don't care whether you do. If you think about it, improves really depends on a standard of some kind or another, and really, you don't have any, so you see, what happens to you has no moral consequence whatever. I note that your own stated standard had nothing whatever to do with factors like pain, let alone mythical notions like innocence, but then in a dorm room bull session what does any of that matter? It remains a fact that I wouldn't lift a finger to help you, that there is no moral or political solidarity between us of any kind, and I am just fine with that. Meanwhile you pretend to invoke biology but seemed completely shocked when other human beings notice they have no biological reason to give a tinker's cuss about any pain, real or hypothetical, that you might experience. In short you are simply far too stupid and unselfconscious to discuss the matters you think - incorrectly - this thread is about. Back on planet earth, meanwhile, morality is real and exists as a code between men of a certain sort. And sonny, you ain't one of them.

I wonder why moderators of this forum are tolerating such a behavior.

It seems like this guy has some serious illusions about his own intellectual capabilities....now the fact that he cites Karl Popper makes sense.

@agusto: Don't try to talk with people about morals who don't even have manners. You wouldn't try to talk with your dog about maths, would you?