Twitch.tv

Davek555

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit confused by the scenario. Shouldnt the tigers be Tiger IIs, according to the briefing?

In the official version, they are Tiger IIs. However, there was a nasty visual glitch for the Tiger IIs in my build so I swapped them with Tiger Is.

Boy, am I ready for this game.

It's a terrific way to showcase the game. Seeing CMRT actually being played is way more satisfying than screen grabs.

I really appreciate Chris' effort to spend so much time with us the last 3 weeks, it's a great step forward in BF's communication with us. Not that they don't already listen and make themselves available on the forum - but this takes it to a new level.

And, Chris has the right personality to pull this off. There are some people out there presenting other games that I can't take more than five minutes of, yet I think I've easily watched more than five hours of ND and look forward to next week.

I'd like to echo Collingwood's comments. Not only does this showcase the game far better than simply showing screenshots, but I find I'm learning a great deal about the CM2 engine as well. Now the manuals for all these games are extremely well written, but sometimes there is nothing like "seeing it in action" vs reading about it, and I've picked up a vast amount of knowledge and ideas which helps tremendously when playing.

Chris, you asked people if they would be interested in seeing other scenarios (perhaps from other CM games, I believe that was about). I'm not signed up for Twitch so I couldn't comment at the time, but my answer to that would be a resounding YES!

Lastly I totally agree with those who think you are the ideal person to be hosting the Twitch TV program for these scenarios. What they said are exactly my thoughts.

So thanks again, and I'll be there again next Saturday. Much appreciated :).

Glenn

Thank you for the RT videos. Watching the 5th video of gog and magog around 4:28 when your tiger takes a shot and narrowly misses at the moving T-34s it brought to mind a question I have about CM overall when firing at moving targets. Do tanks/ATGs fire in front of a moving target? In my games and in the example in your video I think the answer is no. They fire directly at the target and usually miss. In your video the tiger looks to have targeted the leading tank but the shell nearly hits the second in line tank.

Anyway, thanks again for the rare insight into the game. It's looking good.

Do tanks/ATGs fire in front of a moving target? In my games and in the example in your video I think the answer is no. They fire directly at the target and usually miss. In your video the tiger looks to have targeted the leading tank but the shell nearly hits the second in line tank.

My recollection is Steve saying that they do lead the target. Or good gunners do, at least. They don't always get it right though; the computer is perfectly capable of making the gun hit every time, but there's variables (including random variation) which affect how well the TacAI aims and reduce its accuracy below theoretical perfection.

Thank you for the RT videos. Watching the 5th video of gog and magog around 4:28 when your tiger takes a shot and narrowly misses at the moving T-34s it brought to mind a question I have about CM overall when firing at moving targets. Do tanks/ATGs fire in front of a moving target? In my games and in the example in your video I think the answer is no. They fire directly at the target and usually miss. In your video the tiger looks to have targeted the leading tank but the shell nearly hits the second in line tank.

Anyway, thanks again for the rare insight into the game. It's looking good.

Watching the video from last night, it appears that they will. Before one of his crashes, a tank of his led the target perfectly (he was locked in on his firing unit at ground level which really showed this off perfectly). He nailed the target. Other shots though were mixed. Some landed in front, some behind, so there is a fair amount of variability to this (good!!). It seems (as it should) the further the target is away from the shooter, the poorer the aim, and of course, the more the target needs to be led.

They definitely do lead moving tanks. One of the highlight videos from last nights stream shows them shooting distant moving targets. And they tended to miss a few times before scoring hits.

They definitely do lead moving tanks. One of the highlight videos from last nights stream shows them shooting distant moving targets. And they tended to miss a few times before scoring hits.

That early crash you got was quite useful to get a hold on the variability of the results of firing on moving targets. In your first run I reckon you were quite lucky, and the second run I think was more in line with what one should expect. I wonder what would have happened if the T-34's had charged directly into the position of your tanks, rather than moving along a orthogonal line.

PS: Last July I had to get a new rig and I chose the 16 GB option - that was a no-brainer :)

I gotta' say, I LOVE the way hit decals are shaping up. -Very cool visuals on the peppered tigers, Chris!

Back before CMRT was announced, I was being a squeaky wheel on damage graphics, but I wasn't expecting "smart" damage decals like this--just a switch in the overall textures on the tank. I'd still like to see scorching for burning tanks, but these hit decals really exceed my initial expectations on damage effects.

Well done, Battlefront, and a great decision made on how to tackle damage visuals!