Twitch.tv

Davek555

Enjoyed checking out the videos. More amazing maps by GeorgeMC.

I was also pleased to hear Chris (formerly the dude that was normal) say that they are now adding Red Bull to Charles' brain jar. I imagine that BFC will be churning out at least 4 major releases this year as a result.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much, Chris, for doing the vids today. Yes, this is an excellent way to showcase the game. I watched most of the stream live and the last ten minutes just now. The live stream quality was very good on HD fullscreen. I'm looking very forward to next week!

Some feedback:

Hit decals: GREAT! BF has achieved a level of detail with these that exceeds my expectations. I am SO excited about this feature and look forward to seeing it further enhanced in future game versions.

Foliage and map detail: The new trees really look great! Also, excellent work on these maps. As Chris pointed out, the designer(s) have done some really nice detail work on things like farm layouts. I know the kind of labor that goes into using textures and flavor objects in this way. Excellent job and it is much appreciated!

Vehicle Models: Very nice! I especially like the T34-76. That was a lucky mistake in choosing them for the second battle. I know the T34-85 is a superior tank on the battlefield, but visually, I think the 76 has much more character, so it was nice to see.

Soldier models: These look very nice, too. I was hoping to see closeups of the Maxim MG and Soviet LMG in action. Next time?

Unit Performance: The Stugs sure had a hard time penetrating the T34-85s. Maybe they just got unlucky angles, but it seems like they had an easier time penetrating in CMBB. It's been many years, since I played it though...

Single-Player QB issues:

Well...I know from your experience in the second battle and from a Market Garden SP QB I just finished that the issue of the AI defender not really setting up a defense still exists. I haven't done specific testing on it, but it does seem to occur frequently in SP QB mode on stock maps. Just like in your video, the AI puts its vehicles forward in the VL area, but leaves everything else clumped up near its friendly map edge. Then, when the human player has largely taken the VL(s), it starts sending them forward to retake them.

Which means...the player spends a lot of time carefully making his way into what is actually undefended territory, only to slaughter the AI en masse at the tail end of the battle.

At this point in CM's evolution, this should really not be occurring on stock maps that are being provided by BF for use in SP QB mode. However, this seems to be occurring on maps with AI plans that should be putting the AI force in better locations. I just checked the map I played and it seemed to put all its vehicles in one group and then all its infantry in another, while leaving off the group that had the best defensive positions. So, this may be an engine code problem, rather than map-design problem. I know I've checked other, pre-MG-module QB maps and found reasonable AI defense plans in place in the Editor that were seemingly ignored by the AI during actual setup, too. Perhaps, the code needs to be tweaked to make sure that the AI distributes its force throughout the various groups better. Also, perhaps the Editor can be made to allow the map designer to weight the distribution according to group number.

So, Chris's buying a bigger force might only help slightly, in that the AI will put more vehicles forward, but it still may not deploy the rest of its force adequately. Perhaps it would be better to take a QB map and turn it into a quick scenario for next week's video? Or, at least customize a specific QB map in advance to make sure that it is putting units where they need to be. Like I said, the problem on the map I just played seems to have been because there were 3 groups and the AI used one in the town for all its vehicles, and another at the map edge for all its infantry--leaving off the third group entirely that would have provided an actual defense line. The size of the AI force was a full company, plus a full anti-tank platoon and 3 AFVs.

Quick update:

Even trying to use a custom QB setup in the Editor, I am having no luck getting the AI to place units in desired positions. It seems to only blob them in a single group at one of the map (friendly to neither side) edges.

Could be user error, as I'm hurrying, but... I tried reducing the number of groups to 2 and verified that the Map Setup Zones and AI Plan painted Setup areas were overlapping. Still, the game puts nothing were it should be with regards to the AI area.

So, Chris, you really might want to go with a custom scenario that has been tested with regards to setup working (not saying anything about play balance and such--just setup zones) to show off the game next week. Of course, I'm doing this under CMBN, but judging from your video today, it looks like the situation is the same with CMRT.

@Macisle As a single player..I never bother with QB..I know they aren't designed for an AI so really pointless playing them. There are well more than enough scenarios to get on with anyway.

Loved the vid by the way Chris. Would like to link straight to it through my FB page.

@Macisle As a single player..I never bother with QB..I know they aren't designed for an AI so really pointless playing them. There are well more than enough scenarios to get on with anyway.

Loved the vid by the way Chris. Would like to link straight to it through my FB page.

I know and agree, Wodin. The point is though, that the QB system is not meeting a basic minimum because, AI competence post-setup aside, it too often does not even set up AI units in the expected AI plan areas.

So, basically, at this point (and I'm swearing off SP QBs for good, anyway, but...) BF should either make sure that the AI sets up consistently according to the AI plans on SP QB maps, or it should cut the SP QB feature out. To keep what seems to be a broken feature is not good.

Having stood on my soapbox above, let me say again, though, that I may be doing things wrong in the editor. However, I've experienced the issue many times with out of the box stock maps and Chris just did on the newest working title in the CM series.

I'm not sure but the was a turn where ND gave a stationary tank and the riders a move order and the riders dismounted first and then the tank moved. IIRC this is different to current behaviour where passengers would only leave after the vehicle has stopped (unless you give an explicit dismount order).

Did that behaviour change?

Thanks Chris! That was fun! I enjoyed watching the "Titan Fall" beta as well.

"Optional graphical Command and Control link tracing"

What does it mean ? The old red/black C2 lines from cm1 ? could not see that yesterday on twitch ?! Chris can you give us information about those ?

I was looking for this too. I'd like to see it in action.