'Target briefly' command request

Odin

Can we now ask what you meant by the (my) bolded part? :P

It was my intention for Upgrade 3.0 to introduce a 3rd level to hierarchical commands. This would allow you to specify something like:

Combat -> Target Briefly -> Smoke

Combat -> Target Briefly -> Light

Etc.

But when I drafted the improvements for v3.0 I scratched it. The amount of time necessary just to make the structural code changes was significant. Then we'd have to do a lot of work to actually have the Commands "nested" with this sort of behavior. It would, in fact, constitute most of the improvement in Upgrade 3.0. We felt that we weren't quite ready for that sort of narrow focus.

Steve,

Great news! But can you confirm exactly what is being proposed / tested? Has "target briefly" gone, with both target and target light having the time increments included? Or have we "only" got a time-variable target briefly command, with the others left unchanged?

What happens is you select Target Briefly and click on whatever you want to target. Hitting the same hotkey again, or clicking on the button again, gets you a 15 second increase. There's currently no limitation on how long the Briefly can be set, which I think should change because a) 25 minutes is not "Briefly" ;) and B) it is nice to cycle through the numbers as it's easy to correct a mistake.

There are some issues with making this standard behavior for other Commands. I'm talking over the issues with Charles to see if there's some further improvements that can be made.

Steve

"...it is nice to cycle through the numbers as it's easy to correct a mistake."

Not just nice, but essential to keep up gameplay speed which will be a growing concern as the scenarios (hopefully) increase in size.

Since keeping "brief" fire to under 60 seconds is what we're talking about here, why any need to go more than 15-45 seconds delay in (three) 15 sec increments.

There's currently no limitation on how long the Briefly can be set, which I think should change because a) 25 minutes is not "Briefly" ;) and B) it is nice to cycle through the numbers as it's easy to correct a mistake.

Not to mention some crazy person will keep pressing the key to see what happens when they get to 100 minutes and then see what happens when you get to 1000 minutes. :D

Hello CM-Players,

Its nice to hear that BF will implement more control over the duration of the "target briefly" command. It will serve the gameplay well.

Now, to make this new feature really shine it would be perfect to implement the following:

The option to stack up multiple "target briefly" orders for different targets without giving a new move waypoint for every target. This would definately enhance your tactical toolbox by a great margin. Many poeple asked about an order to area-fire a larger area. To be able to stack up "target briefly" would solve this problem.