Sign in to follow this  
kostka7

Disappearing Saved Games

This has happened to me twice before, and I'm about to give up on CM because of it. I am playing "CW Keep Calm and Carry On." I have saved the game 6 times, but only the first two saved games, saved yesterday, are in the Saved Games folder. Today's four saved games don't appear anywhere. This is such a good game system, I hate to quit it, but this is ridiculous. Help?

Running Mac OS X 10.9.1 on a Macbook Air.

This has happened to me twice before, and I'm about to give up on CM because of it. I am playing "CW Keep Calm and Carry On." I have saved the game 6 times, but only the first two saved games, saved yesterday, are in the Saved Games folder. Today's four saved games don't appear anywhere. This is such a good game system, I hate to quit it, but this is ridiculous. Help?

Running Mac OS X 10.9.1 on a Macbook Air.

We can't have that!

More seriously, I'm a Mac user but have never experienced this. To try and track down what is (or is not) happening, can you give a bit more detail, e.g. :

- does the game behave and close down normally after the invisible saves (I'm sort of assuming so, or you'd say not specifically?), or does it clearly hang in some way?

- are you quitting the game right after the saves, or staying in to continue playing?

- Can you find the two saves you do have only in the in-game load screens? Or are you using Finder (?) to look into the file structure itself to see what is there?

Any more details would help us make suggestions to try.

It definitely IS worth persevering ... honest!

Thanks in advance for your help.

- does the game behave and close down normally after the invisible saves (I'm sort of assuming so, or you'd say not specifically?), or does it clearly hang in some way?

Everything was running fine. I thought I would check in the folder to make sure I 6 saves there, but found only two.

- are you quitting the game right after the saves, or staying in to continue playing?

Continuing playing.

- Can you find the two saves you do have only in the in-game load screens? Or are you using Finder (?) to look into the file structure itself to see what is there?

I can find the two saves in the Saved Games folder.

- Any more details would help us make suggestions to try.

I wonder what would happen if I saved every time under the same name, instead of accepting the 001, 002, 003, etc., that are appended. I'll try that tomorrow.

A couple more questions (apologies if they seem a bit basic!):

- are you playing this single-player, against the AI, and thus saving the games via clicking on the menu button, then choosing save? Or playing as a PBEM game, and generating a save by clicking the red turn advance button? Or are you perhaps doing both, and making intermediate saves of unfinished turns via the menu before you complete a PBEM turn? Because, the two types of saved games are put indifferent folders: PBEM game turns go to the outgoing email folder, for you send to your opponent, whilst solo saved games go in the (duh!) saved games folder;

- you mention the default filename numbers: the game increments these automatically, to provide successive file saves for what it assumes are updated save points. If you change them to be the same name and number, then they will simply overwrite the previous save of the name/number: so if you kept on (re)naming them all xxx 001, you would only ever have one (latest) save game file. Is it possible that you have overwritten the game-proposed file name/number already?

- or, if you are doing a mix of PBEM and local intermediate saves, the sequence of file numbers goes: you get a file 003 from your opponent; you play your turn and send a file back, the game makes that 004. But if you have an unfinished turn and save it off to finish later, the game makes THAT 004, then you load that to finish your turn and the games makes that PBEM return file 005: it numbers the saves sequentially regardless of whether they are local saves or PBEM outgoing saves. (I wish it wouldn't!!) So PBEM file 004 "disappears" from the PBEM sequence, because that number was used up for a local save.

As you can see I'm casting about for ideas! Don't know if any of these will prompt anything.

<<- are you playing this single-player, against the AI, and thus saving the games via clicking on the menu button, then choosing save? Or playing as a PBEM game, and generating a save by clicking the red turn advance button? Or are you perhaps doing both, and making intermediate saves of unfinished turns via the menu before you complete a PBEM turn? Because, the two types of saved games are put indifferent folders: PBEM game turns go to the outgoing email folder, for you send to your opponent, whilst solo saved games go in the (duh!) saved games folder;>>

I am playing solo against the AI, saving games via the menu button.

<<- you mention the default filename numbers: the game increments these automatically, to provide successive file saves for what it assumes are updated save points. If you change them to be the same name and number, then they will simply overwrite the previous save of the name/number: so if you kept on (re)naming them all xxx 001, you would only ever have one (latest) save game file. Is it possible that you have overwritten the game-proposed file name/number already?>>

No. I sonly uggested that maybe I would try that in the future. I have always accepted the automatically-generated names. Only later did I discover that those game files do not exist.

<<- or, if you are doing a mix of PBEM and local intermediate saves, the sequence of file numbers goes: you get a file 003 from your opponent; you play your turn and send a file back, the game makes that 004. But if you have an unfinished turn and save it off to finish later, the game makes THAT 004, then you load that to finish your turn and the games makes that PBEM return file 005: it numbers the saves sequentially regardless of whether they are local saves or PBEM outgoing saves. (I wish it wouldn't!!) So PBEM file 004 "disappears" from the PBEM sequence, because that number was used up for a local save.>>

I am not playing PBEM.

What a puzzle!

this may seem odd, but when you load the last save (I assume the 002 file) is it the save you expect it to be or is it the last save (006?) you ran but can't seem to find?

<<this may seem odd, but when you load the last save (I assume the 002 file) is it the save you expect it to be or is it the last save (006?) you ran but can't seem to find?>>

Thanks, but I thought of that, too. But 002 is a long way from showing what was going on when I saved 006.

Hmm, very odd!

I hadn't played the scenario you are trying, and so loaded it and made a few saves: but no repetition of the problem for me.

It doesn't sound to me like it is the sort of issue which would be scenario-specific: but can you try another scenario or two, briefly for a few turns, and see if the same thing happens again?

<<It doesn't sound to me like it is the sort of issue which would be scenario-specific: but can you try another scenario or two, briefly for a few turns, and see if the same thing happens again?>>

No, it's not scenario-specific. It has happened to me 3 times, each time on a different scenario. It doesn't always happen, however.

Beginning to clutch at straws here (!): is your install of the game a standard one - i.e. to the "Applications" folder? If not by any chance, just wondering if (tho not heard of it before) the game is having problems saving the game files a non-standard location?

Thanks, but the game is in the Applications folder. I just did a "Find" and couldn't find any duplicate copies. Right now I'm playing, saving every few minutes, and checking to make sure the saved file is where it should be. When/if that doesn't happen, I will attach the file for others to have a look at.

Hi!

Was this issue ever resolve? I'm getting the same problem. Games after the 6th save can't be found in Saved Games.

I'm playing the Task Force Raff campaign & on the 1st mission. Games were initially saved with the file name of "Task Force Raff - Combat Training 00x". However, after the 6th save, I saved Task Force Raff - Combat Training 007 but could not find it in the Saved Games when I started up. I've also tried saving with 008 & up but still no save file.

I then tried saving with a different file name "Task Force Raff00x" but got the same problem. The 7th save (Task Force Raff007) could not be found in Saved Games.

I tried another approach using letters instead of number (Task Force Raff A). Save files starting on the 7th save onward could be found in Saved Games!

My Mac is a mid-2010 MacPro with Mac OS X v10.7.5. Any solution to save using files names with numbers instead of letters? CMBN is v2.12 with CW & MG modules installed along with some mods.

No, I never solved it. I am avoiding the problem by seldom saving the game and leaving it running in the background. I am using a MacBook Air with OS X 10.9.2, but at that time it might have been 10.8.

No, I never solved it. I am avoiding the problem by seldom saving the game and leaving it running in the background. I am using a MacBook Air with OS X 10.9.2, but at that time it might have been 10.8.

Thanks for the feedback. My method of using letters instead of numbers doesn't seem to work all the time. I restarted the Task Force Raff campaign & was not able to save beyond the 6th file. :-(

I wonder why other Mac users are not encountering this problem.

Happy gaming!

I am also encountering this problem recently on my PC. Only one save file shows up, and that does not even contain the complete file name that displays when you do a save, such as, _001. The position that opens is the last saved one, but the file name never changes, and there is always only the one.

My game (2.0 game engine) was installed to a separate partition (drive: D, where all software except the operating system is installed). This problem has only recently appeared, but even a reinstall does not resolve it. Very annoying.

I am having the same issue, playing version 2.12 on an iMac running OS X 10.6.8. Similar to kostka7, I'm playing vs the AI and it's an intermittent issue. So far, when I launch the game it either fails to save for the whole session, or saves successfully (I can find the file in the Save Games folder) for the entire session.

This has happened to me once as well; give your saved game another 'title' - it can even be just a numeric change - and from then on, it will be visible in all subsequent saves.

New quirk - if you try to save a game, notice by looking at the saved games folder that it hasn't saved, quit the scenario, and try to reload the most recent save, you will find that NO saved games are visible in the saved games screen. So it's a deeper problem than just not saving. The entire saved games directory is not visible to CM when this happens.

Has anyone tried a full re-install yet? Not to be lazy, but it's going to be a few days at least before I have time to try it.

I'm running OS 10.9.5 and just installed the 3.0 engine upgrades for the Mac. Started playing a new scenario, but every save results in overwriting a single file, "UK Loamshires v.bts" in this case, with no save number as in the past. What's up?

Update: When I saved the game just now the filename in the save window was "Loamshires v. Hannovarians 022," so something is slipping betwixt cup and lip.

WRT the above little problem, do not put periods in scenario names because they don't work well with the game's algo for saving and numbering battle files. Or you can change the default filename to something without a period.

I have a Win 7 64bit. running CMBN v3.0 and did a clean install and brought my saved games in play from dropbox and successfully ran one save game including creating the outgoing saved game.

Went to load another all my save games disappeared from the listing in game.

They were there just before the last game save.

I ran a new game and created save game file was able to load it.

I lost both the single player and the PBEM files from the save game listing in game. The files are present in the save game files under the game files folder.

Dropbox and cmhelper 1.4.0 both list the save game files.

Sign in to follow this