CMRT - BETA AAR - German Side

BFCElvis

They have always had cover arcs since CMSF. Hide is needed for optimal EVADING behavour. Evading is the key word to understanding when HIDE is your best bet, or not. If one wants to evade they want to avoid contact, not seek it as in an ambush. This is why they are reluctant to fire. Recon wants to evade, but wants to see better likewise so does ambush. Prone + cover arc meets that need.

Per Steve's request for no discussions not specifically about the AAR, I started a Ju-87G Discussion thread.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=113501

Would someone with more BB skills than I have please port over the germane parts of the discussion? I've already got the StG 2 stuff moved, but I'm concerned I'll make a hash of whose response goes where.

Regards,

John Kettler

We need to get back the AMBUSH command! Since the game does model acoustic detection to some degree, and the soldiers talk quite loudly (no noise discipline or silent command signals), I'm surprised they could walk up on men without being heard and responded to. But now that the way HIDE works has been explained, it makes a sort of perverse sense, though it seems to go against reasonable self-preservation behavior.

We've got the Cover Arc and Cover Armor Arc, so with some (insert degree of difficulty here), we ought to be able to execute a proper ambush.

Elvis,

Good luck on what I expect to be a tough fight. But how sweet a victory?! Bil can't win forever. Sooner or later, he'll meet his match.

GeorgeMC,

Bet you had the best looking sand table of all your wargaming friends. Map's a beaut!

Regards,

John Kettler

GeorgeMC,

Bet you had the best looking sand table of all your wargaming friends. Map's a beaut!

Regards,

John Kettler

I second that, superb map, George. A good looking map makes all the difference.

I couldn't agree more. The map is plenty big enough to provide elbow room and is laid out with tons of interesting areas (I'm sure this map will be around in the release somewhere...it is difficult to describe how many areas that can cause tactical complications that there are The best way to see it is actually trying to place units on it) and very very pretty to look at. Thanks George!

Actually I think when ambushing it comes down to timing and deciding the right moment to unhide. Granted my Experience with this is limited and very situational (British Paratroopers hiding in woods at night against Luftwaffe...so...yeah..) but I still think the Key ist to keep you main ambush units hidden, not even using arcs as far as I remember, and unleashing fire at close distance manually by unhiding at the beginning of the turn and watching the doom spill out. Its hard to pull off on WeGo but Callidus can tell you a thing or two about succesful ambushes ;)

edit: also I try to pull out my troops after that one turn of fire if in any way possible, usually saves a lot of guys and allows me to set up a second position, but harshly depens on terrain and visibility of course

The Hetzer is definitely on the list of armor that has been missed since CMx1. The model looks awesome especially with Elvis’s logo ;). I always bought them when playing as Germany, and so did my opponent if he was axis. I still got to get Market Garden to get my hands on the Hellcat, another favorite, which was always bought to fight Hetzers with. Beyond those I miss the Chaffee, another favorite great little tank.

I don't have much to report yet. My 4 teams are still working their way through the woods to the south of OBJ BLAU. They are about 3/4 of the way to where I want them to be. They are starting to tire, so I'm looking forward to them getting into position and begin resting. If they get back to being well rested in time I may have one crawl closer to the edge. I have had no contact at all through the first 5 minutes of the battle.

I still hope to make them seem like a bigger force than they are. I really want to get a couple of shots off, drop back out of sight and move laterally to give the illusion of more men.

Yeah, the Hetzer certainly is nothing sexy to look at. If it were a car it would probably be a Ford Pinto, but it is still the best tank destroyer to get IMO. Low silhouette, rounded slopped nose that ricochets most rounds (very hard to kill from the front), good optics and firepower, and cheap to buy being a great value for the buck. Of course I am quoting CMx1 play with it, but I suspect it probably is just as good in CMx2.