CMRT - BETA AAR - German Side

BFCElvis

As I said before, I never in a million years expected Bil to blindly rush down that road. There was plenty of time for him to do a methodical advance through the woods (as you point out he probably would have done if he had met resistance on the road).

I was planning just such a deep move from the very beginning... if you had the road mined or defended the objective with a tank or an ATG it would have failed spectacularly... but would have been a hell of a show. ;)

People usually do not defend deep objectives like that too well.. I flipped a coin and got lucky.

Elvis, I think you played a terrific game... a few things that would have helped from your perspective: you had to know that your armor was superior to my ISUs.. if you had kept them near Blau to deal with them and let Gelb go.. then tore up my infantry assaulting the objective (and kept your infantry in place on Blau as well) I would have been forced to come to the rescue with my T34s which would have played into your hands.

Was an interesting game.. and despite what some say I think there were many tactical options open to you, I liked some aspects of your strategy... the only major error you made was move forward with your armor at the end. But I had them flanked so you had to do something with them (not that you knew that ;) )

I still say great game, you held up your end very well.

Bil

... a few things that would have helped from your perspective: you had to know that your armor was superior to my ISUs.. if you had kept them near Blau to deal with them and let Gelb go.. then tore up my infantry assaulting the objective (and kept your infantry in place on Blau as well) I would have been forced to come to the rescue with my T34s which would have played into your hands.

Maybe it is because we were "on the ground" for the game but I've gotta tell you...That is the first thing that I have heard suggested to me that I can see as a real and viable alternative to what I did. Most others could have made things go bad in ways similar to what I ended up with, but that just smells right. It would have been huge if I had stayed in place and finished off the first one and then hunted the other down like a dog. You would have either changed your plan to make a run on GELB or taken it and had to come back after my armor had it's way with your infantry for a little bit.

But I had them flanked so you had to do something with them (not that you knew that ;) )

Yeah, I wasn't able to see that at all. I seriously thought I had you pinned back there and before making my move had spent a couple turns where it seemed like each of my AFVs had line of sight to enough of GELB to see if there was much movement back there.

I still say great game, you held up your end very well.

Bil

Thanks for the kind words

As you suggested I did essentially leave GELB undefended. The HMG was a token unit holding a VL that had a little punch if necessary. As I said before, I never in a million years expected Bil to blindly rush down that road. There was plenty of time for him to do a methodical advance through the woods (as you point out he probably would have done if he had met resistance on the road). Which at that point it becomes a coin flip over guessing which way he'd come.

I think it could have turned out very differently with a few AT mines laid on the road up to GELB and/or a 75MM AT gun in the woods a GELB. This would have represented your left flank's insurance policy. If Bill had lost his t-34s storming up the road to GELB his cumbersome assault guns would probably have come unstuck and subsequently so would his infantry without armoured support. Dare I say it, it might have been worth sacrificing your 120mm mortars for extra AT support.

Either way though, you put up a good fight and it was a close battle until it unravelled after Bill took your tanks out with a brilliant piece of stalking.

EDIT: Just read Bill's response, looks like he was thinking the same thing. Nice to know I'm in good company!

I think it could have turned out very differently with a few AT mines laid on the road up to GELB and/or a 75MM AT gun in the woods a GELB.

Agree with the mines, but I'm not so sure about putting the ATG on GELB. If it could be sited where it could be concealed yet cover a good stretch of the road, then maybe. My thinking is that since a gun for all practical purposes can't be moved, it needs to be somewhere where it is most likely to get to shoot something, yet be hard for the enemy to get at, not an easy thing to accomplish on most maps. The alternative to that is to either buy the gun on an automotive chassis of some kind or to be able to buy enough guns so that they can be mutually supportive and expendable without having your defense collapse if you lose one. As I've posted before, I think in this battle Schrecks and Fausts make a lot more sense than ATGs. They are cheaper and they are man portable.

Michael

AT gun whit good ambus place is devastating combine . dont expect they survive hole game there but if you have several them and they are spred out and still contact to eatch other whit LOS they gona take many enemy tanks out. On that roud and near that bridge there was lots of good hiding places to At guns . For my self , i dont trust about infantry at rockets , because its sou hard to get near tank to use thous , if enemy do smart moves he ceep infantry all time front of tank and thats why you dont get chanse use example pantzerfaust. sorry my bad english ^^ hoply ewery one understand what i say