Sign in to follow this  
Doodlebug

CMBN big bundle install

Greetings. I haven't really posted here since about 2009 but I was a very, very keen player of the first generation games (CMBO, CMBB and CMAK) Back then, I would purchase the game on disk and install when I received the physical media. Taking advantage of the advances in online shopping for the first time I have chosen to buy the download only option of the big bundle which was recently offered.

I have followed the install instructions provided and everything seems to have gone perfectly. So, what's our problem I hear you say? The odd thing is that I haven't been asked to activate the game. I have three shortcuts on the desktop, all with similar but slightly different titles, two pointing to the same location "CM Normandy.exe" and one "CM Normandy.exe -showui". Clicking the "Activate CMBN Market Garden" shortcut, and which I assumed would ask for the license details, launches the game as do the others. The game appears to play perfectly or to put it another way I haven't hit any problems thus far.

Is that right? Is that correct?

Not having the physical disks as my safety blanket in the case of disaster (as I say first time download only ever!) I am concerned if things go belly up in the future because of not keying in an activation license at installation.

Will some kind soul advise whether there is something I have done wrong and that I need to do?

Thanks

You don't have CMBN or any of the other modules already installed do you ? It would be strange that the game runs without being activated. Typically launching the 'Activate CMBN Market Garden' shortcut should have prompted for the license key to my knowledge. With the bundle how many license keys did you get, just one ?

rotflmao - first tech thread of "I installed the game and it is working. Did I do something wrong?"

I get your concern and think you are right to ask, but it is very funny.

You don't have CMBN or any of the other modules already installed do you ? It would be strange that the game runs without being activated. Typically launching the 'Activate CMBN Market Garden' shortcut should have prompted for the license key to my knowledge. With the bundle how many license keys did you get, just one ?

No. This is the one and only download and install I've done. And yes I have only the single license key.

I'd love to think that I have gotten some sort of "wonder" bundle that allows me to install willy-nilly without activating. Yay.

On the other hand I think BF would be quite miffed at the loss of future sales if I set up "The Ever So Slightly Dodgy Counterfeit CMBN Big Bundle Doesn't Need Activating Company Inc."

TESSDCCBBDNA Co. Inc. Hmmm. Does have a certain ring to it. Nah. Not my style.

rotflmao - first tech thread of "I installed the game and it is working. Did I do something wrong?"

I get your concern and think you are right to ask, but it is very funny.

Spot on!

Inexperienced pilot to Control Tower:

"Hello Control. Both engines are on fire and the tail just fell off a moment ago. The ground's coming up towards me quite quickly. Is it supposed to do that? Everything is alright for the future...isn't it?"

I would like to add that I purchased the big bundle yesterday and had the same experience. I followed the installation instructions included in the download, no errors on the install, and no activation request on first load. The game loads, and seems to play, just fine. The title screen shows v2.12 and both modules, and content from both modules is in the Battle list.

I share the OP's concern, do we need to be worried about never activating the game?

I would like to add that I purchased the big bundle yesterday and had the same experience. I followed the installation instructions included in the download, no errors on the install, and no activation request on first load. The game loads, and seems to play, just fine. The title screen shows v2.12 and both modules, and content from both modules is in the Battle list.

I share the OP's concern, do we need to be worried about never activating the game?

My experience was identical to yours. You describe my install experience precisely. On a personal and undoubtedly selfish level, I'd hate to be midway into a lengthy campaign or on-going H2H match and have the electronic equivalent of the rug pulled from under my feet if the game suddenly shut up shop on me.

On a scrupulously honest level I would regret very much if there was a problem with this particular bundle that allowed unlicensed versions of the game to get out into circulation with the resulting loss of revenue to BF. I want the guys to continue putting out excellent games for a good while yet.

Please can someone check this out behind the scenes?

Sign in to follow this