CMRT - BETA AAR - Soviet Side

I always liked the SU-85's over the SU-122/152's, as the former had a greater ROF, good AP capability and tank riders compensated for the lack of a hull MG. Will you buy some ATR's?

Personally, I'd steer clear of the Il-2's as the points could be better spent on FO's , the close terrain invites aerial misidentification and subsequent blue on blue engagements.

I always liked the SU-85's over the SU-122/152's, as the former had a greater ROF, good AP capability and tank riders compensated for the lack of a hull MG. Will you buy some ATR's?

Personally, I'd steer clear of the Il-2's as the points could be better spent on FO's , the close terrain invites aerial misidentification and subsequent blue on blue engagements.

Remember he does need an aircraft so the Il-2's can't be taken away completely. If the PE-2 is cheaper maybe use one of those babies?

...Okay I will purchase a couple of those big gunned tanks instead of a platoon of T34s.

I'm open to off map artillery but not too excited about it to be honest....

I would like to see some T34s though - you are not planning to ditch them all are you?

Yeah I am cool with not having much / any arty. We have all seen artillery coming down...

What's the likelihood of encountering a Tiger or a Panther, and what would you counter that with? Is Su-85 enough to do that (assuming it would be the cheapest of possible alternatives) reliably? Dinky old T-34/76s will be cat food :-)

Stalinorgel battery is a must to set up the proper mood at the beginning!

76mm you haven't been reading the thread then? ;)

I've been thinking about what Elvis might buy. I suspect the Hetzer will make an appearance... As for the large armor, if he buys too much he will not have much staying power. Maybe one Tiger or Panther to work with a Hetzer or two? None of those are cheap and I suspect will hit his rarity points hard.

I don't know much about his play style, but I suspect a lot of infantry and infantry support weapons. There will be few long range tank engagements in this one. So maybe a lot of mortars maybe some off map stuff. Etc. he does have to buy a flamethrower and some AA. The flamethrower will be effective in any combat amongst the trees. So suspect he will get man packed flamethrowers. He does have access to a cool half track with dual flame sprayers and that would be neat to see. But I suspect it wouldn't live long.

Thanks Bil for taking the time to do what I am sure will be another great AAR. I like the idea of getting an editor view of the map to see it in a different way. Being that it looks like much or the route, and perhaps fighting will be in the woods I think you should get at least one hand held flame thrower, but don’t know any set up areas for either side. For woods clearing I think should be very useful if CMx1 experience is the same. Woods were where I had the best results with flame units. Just a little area fire here and there can cause lots of casualties and panic plus we all want to see the flame throwers :D. The flame tank won’t be able to get in to certain parts of the woods, but will cool to see in action.

Katyusha preliminary bombardment on the build up area followed up by hordes of OT-34 carrying SMG troopers FTW!!! :D

Oh yeah Kats! The one thing that one doesn't get in CM being off map where it was so cool in Sudden Strike where they were on map is seeing, and hearing the launches. That bad Bad ass whine swhoosh

here is a short clip of it.

Bil... I know I keep bugging you about this :), but wouldn't a player usually perform a battlefield analysis prior to selecting their force? Is there any chance of you posting a fly-over video of the battlefield? If you could provide analysis commentary as well it would be a plus... I know it is a lot to ask. The thing of it is, the more opportunities we have to see your analysis in action the more opportunities we will have to learn, which is why I keep bugging you about it.

As a friend of mine has Problems getting his Password. I'll copy his Post and paste it.

should this happen again I will mention it at the beginning of the post.

Jishmael:

"Here are my 2 Cents, being a long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm not really too keen on the ISU-122. You're bringing a fixed gun tank destroyer with horrible armor sloping to an offensive engagement. Why not take an IS-2 if you can somehow afford it? A its Armor is better B it has a Turret which will probably help with all that cityfighting C it brings good MG firepower D It would add another new Unit to show and is also very iconic.

For the T34: I wish I could remember the Performance Values for the Russian 76mm Tank Gun. I can only say that in CMBB I generally preferred the T34/85, but that might have been psychological. Still I think it might be worth considering.

Las thing: After looking at the topdown map for a while I feel like this might be a very very tough map for so many vehicles, getting into a long range Engagement with possibly paks on your left flank feels scary. Driving through all that Forest with Shreks abound feels scary. But I'd look forward to seeing you pull that off.

In any case very excited about this AAR!"

So for my purchases, I am looking at the following:

• Two IL-2s - strafing (aircraft requirement) - might go own to one if I have trouble getting under the 3500 point limit

• Tankodesantniki Company (SMG)

• T-34/85 Platoon (3 tanks) I decided to go with 85s in case he does bring some big armor, and the cost difference is negligible

• Two - ISU-122 (I decided to go with two 122s because the 152 carries so few rounds and the 122 reload sequence is quicker)

• OT-34 (flamethrower requirement)

• Two rifle companies

• Battalion Support @ 6 HMG teams and 3 82mm mortars

• Four supply trucks

Anyway.. that is taking into account most of your suggestions, thanks for those.. sorry about the rocket artillery though.. I just couldn't justify the cost. ;)

Bil... I know I keep bugging you about this :), but wouldn't a player usually perform a battlefield analysis prior to selecting their force? Is there any chance of you posting a fly-over video of the battlefield? If you could provide analysis commentary as well it would be a plus... I know it is a lot to ask. The thing of it is, the more opportunities we have to see your analysis in action the more opportunities we will have to learn, which is why I keep bugging you about it.

I will think about a flyover... but I will be doing a map analysis regardless.