CMRT - BETA AAR - Soviet Side

Red tentacles of doom! Why limit yourself to just one route? Use them ALL!

This is more my thinking too that a multi prong attack should be used.

That's what I would do too...if the Soviet force were a full battalion+. But as it is, I don't see them having enough for that. Bil is going to have to concentrate somewhere in order to gain enough of a preponderance to make much of an impression.

What Bil says about reconnoitering all the routes to find a weak spot makes sense, but once he has chosen a route he needs to concentrate on it and go for broke.

Michael

Yeah, typical SOP for small unit Soviet infantry tactics defined platoon as smallest independent unit. Platoon leader operated command within visual range primarily. So, wide open terrain, not too bad. Woods, however, you need to keep it tight, which can be good and bad.

First turn sent to Elvis. My initial orders were mainly to probe KT1 and KT2 for any enemy troops. I don't know if my lead troops will make it to those spots by the end of the first turn.

I also have a platoon that is going to move into KT3, but I want to have a good look at KT1 and KT2 first.

12263360605_67b7cb1c49_b.jpg

12271055754_0720ae8bd9_c.jpg

I wanted to take a minute to highlight the Rifle Platoon. This formation contains a lot of bodies (34) and a lot of firepower.. they will be great in the woods where the German long range firepower will be negated. Also these squads can split (all squads can now split), however the split teams will come at a high cost to morale if they are separated from the Squad leader team.

Plt HQ/1st Squad:

12270612725_5a8e4b9e28_b.jpg

2nd Squad:

12271183926_675dc25217_b.jpg

3rd Squad:

12271183856_fb62785c66_b.jpg

A question about chain of command that has always bugged me in CMx2 and continues to do so in the above example.

According to the Manual - page 29, sections 7 and 9 - squads 2 and 3 are shown as being in command, to platoon HQ/squad1, by both sound and vision. Fine.

The green icon in both squad 2 and 3 is supposed to indicate that platoon HQ is in contact with 5 Company and the red icons that 5 Company is not in contact with battalion or battalion with the next level of command. Fine.

However, if you look at Platoon HQ, it does not show any means of contact with 5 Company - no radio, sight or sound. So it is not in contact. Or is it?

Assuming the red lines indicate contact, then there is another red line radiating out from Platoon HQ that goes some where other than squads 2 and 3. Can that be to 5 Company or is it to another attached sub unit?

I have always felt that the info in the manual is incorrect and that the Chain of Command box does indeed indicate whether or not that unit is connected to its next highest HQ. If that were the case then the above display would make sense, with both squads in contact with platoon but platoon not in contact with company :confused:

The green icon in both squad 2 and 3 is supposed to indicate that platoon HQ is in contact with 5 Company and the red icons that 5 Company is not in contact with battalion or battalion with the next level of command. Fine.

However, if you look at Platoon HQ, it does not show any means of contact with 5 Company - no radio, sight or sound. So it is not in contact. Or is it?

I thought the green icon in squad 2 & 3 indicates that they're in contact with their HQ ( 1st platoon ). That's the name next to the icon.

1st platoon appears to be out of contact with everyone above, although the extraneous command line probably is going to 5th Company HQ

- perhaps it's still unfinished and will be a different colour a la CMx1 to indicate Out-of-Contactness.

1st platoon appears to be out of contact with everyone above, although the extraneous command line probably is going to 5th Company HQ

- perhaps it's still unfinished and will be a different colour a la CMx1 to indicate Out-of-Contactness.

Yes, there is a bug causing the color not to for the platoon to company and company to battalion trace. The line should be much darker. Trace lines are WIP, but currently it goes:

Bright red - close visual contact

Dark red - voice only, distant visual, radio

Very dark red, nearly black - out of contact

Looks like it, and the Russians had a socket bayonet attached to the muzzle so it's wrong.

Not on the SVT-40. I can't blame the artist for throwing it on the model. I wish I had the proper knife bayonet for my SVT! :)

I thought the green icon in squad 2 & 3 indicates that they're in contact with their HQ ( 1st platoon ). That's the name next to the icon.

But that (my bold bit of your quote above) is not what the manual says ... as Jim said in his post, the manual says that the green light against 1st Platoon when the SQUAD is the selected unit means that the 1st Platoon (not the Squad) is in contact with ITS HQ: the contact status of the squad itself with 1st Platoon is indicated by the presence or absence of the contact method icons (eye, voice, etc) in the Squad's panel?

Confuses me too, in that what seems to be happening (e.g. with keeping mortar teams in contact) does not always seem to follow what the manual says ...

In Picture 2,3 and 4 is an AK47 next to the ok! Hmm Glad the they dont have it as a weapon ;-) Will that picture chance until release?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7450/12270612725_5a8e4b9e28_b.jpg

Most of the UI artwork is still being constructed, so what you're seeing is just placeholder assets cobbled together from other titles.

But that (my bold bit of your quote above) is not what the manual says ... as Jim said in his post, the manual says that the green light against 1st Platoon when the SQUAD is the selected unit means that the 1st Platoon (not the Squad) is in contact with ITS HQ: the contact status of the squad itself with 1st Platoon is indicated by the presence or absence of the contact method icons (eye, voice, etc) in the Squad's panel?

Confuses me too, in that what seems to be happening (e.g. with keeping mortar teams in contact) does not always seem to follow what the manual says ...

Absolutely...

Chain of command is, and should be, key ( as an aside; loss of morale being the only penalty at present. IMO should have more stringent consequences like very limited orders menu, at the least).

So understanding it is important. Currently the manual seems to be at odds with what is actually happening and it confuses me no end.

Perhaps the new manual will correct or explain the situation more clearly.

Absolutely...

Chain of command is, and should be, key ( as an aside; loss of morale being the only penalty at present. IMO should have more stringent consequences like very limited orders menu, at the least).

So understanding it is important. Currently the manual seems to be at odds with what is actually happening and it confuses me no end.

Perhaps the new manual will correct or explain the situation more clearly.

I'm glad it's not just me ... :D