CMRT - BETA AAR - Soviet Side

The ISU-122 v Panzer action was a side show.. the real action was elsewhere. However regarding the enemy panzers, all three of them have left the area now and are re-deploying. Gee, I wonder where they might be going.. the thing is.. that with them leaving the area.. Axis Red becomes a viable avenue of approach again... I need to think about that for a bit.

My OT34 opened up on the barn with its flamethrower with devastating effect.

Watch The Video of the action! At least two known dead in that barn, but several more screams were heard throughout the turn. Note that I am now crossing several teams to Objective Blue.. another spotting round fell about in the same place as the previous one.. this one causing one casualty.

Let me know what you think of the new flame effects.

12732569493_fbc64ff9f9_b.jpg

The cost of war... these three dead German soldiers were the casualties from last turn's OT34 main gun action.

12732871874_bcfa6b1d21_b.jpg

5th Company

In the 5th Company sector I am considering the deep strike as outlined in the following image. This would entail me driving the T34 platoon with the SMG platoon straight to Objective Gelb (yellow). I wonder.. does he have anything on Gelb or is he planning on defending the route to Gelb? I don't know.. might be worth the risk. I have not finished the turn but am considering it.

Note where the enemy grouping is located.. I am area firing with a couple T34s in to the trees as shown to cut off any retreat.. I would love to bag this German unit which I think must be Platoon in size. Meanwhile my other 5th Company platoons continue to bypass this area. I am only using 1st platoon to hold this German platoon in place.

12732569613_a25c535026_b.jpg

The flame effects look good - much improved from the blobby look from the first video. I wonder though, why do buildings seem to be so porous to flame? A similar effect seemed to happen in the video posted by Chris. I can understand it if it is an abstraction representing fire entering through an opening into a confined area, but are sides of buildings with no openings similarly susceptible?

Wow. I have had the pleasure of playing with flamethrowers a bit but I didn't realize OT-34 had that reach! Flamethrower man packs you practically have to get so close that you could hit the enemy over the head with a shovel as a combat alternative. :)

About flamethrowers and building walls, the two facades hit had a big door and two windows. Plus barns have always been treated an porous as a sieve in the game. I frankly don't know if anyone's tested flamethrower versus a big windowless modular building façade.

I think the flames look improved from the last build. More stream like than before.

That looks like a very bold plan to deep strike Bil, but you never know. No guts, no glory as the saying goes. Sometimes rolling the dice, and being bold can certainly pay off. Other times, well the cowboy gets shot from the horse.

I'm surprised the walls of the building didn't offer more protection.

I have a theory.. remember last turn the OT34 did not fire its flamethrower.. only its main gun.. this turn it fired the flamethrower with very few main gun rounds, I think only one or two were fired.

My theory, and I have not tested this, is that the tactical AI knows to use whatever weapon is most effective for the target... the building last turn was masonry... this time wood... seems like it chose correctly both times.

Bil,

Most excellent stuff. Can't wait to get my hands on RT. Have been enjoying your AAR. Always top notch.

I double checked the video on the flamethrower tank. Who was the bozo that had to run in front of the OT-34 after it flamed the barn? Was that Sergei again? Geez, there's always gotta be one wise guy...he's the one with the marshmallows, right?

Thanks for sharing this AAR with us. It is excellent.

Heinrich505

MikeyD - some penalty for being out of command, check. But the right one would be ceasing responding to orders temporarily, while continuing to fight rather than running. A version of pin that allows firing in place perhaps? It is coordination that should go, not willingness to stand and deliver. Just a thought...

Same thought I had with my suggestion to give them a low Leadership rating but with high Morale.

Michael

tested this, is that the tactical AI knows to use whatever weapon is most effective for the target... the building last turn was masonry... this time wood... seems like it chose correctly both times.

In the video the jet has the effect of a liquid nerve agent like sarin gas. Common sense suggests that enemy near the window would be roasted. The survivors flee and jump out windows as the flames then spreads eventually consuming the building and tuning it to cinder. One can understand that simulating a ground/terrain fire that spreads, based on combustibility, the time of year and the velocity and direction of the wind is very challenging. Surely depicting a burning structure would be simpler.

5th Company

This turn I sent both squads that were in KT 5 forward to overwhelm the lone team in the hedgelined field (I only ever saw this as a lone team, never more than one contact).. however as I closed on the hedge I noticed that this team had already been killed.. a few turns ago I had dropped some mortar fire at the end of the field to cut off any retreat... must have worked. ;)

As my 1st platoon moves forward I notice that the enemy in the trees down the slope has bolted and is starting to run frantically for the KT6 trees. I am hoping I can pin them and eliminate them before they can escape. They have a long way to go and I am closing the noose with 3rd squad over the ridge making its way around the flank and 1st and 2nd squads will start to push the enemy into the open where my T34s can better deal with them.

12758593254_44549dc029_b.jpg

4th Company

On the outskirts of Blau the body count becomes clearer... there are 4 enemy dead in the barn (that I can see) and I can now tell that there are 4 enemy dead in the collapsed shed... two members of the team that was in the barn last turn surrendered this turn. There is a dead HQ team in the barn, so that's good, and a few more teams ran from this area to the left back to the other buildings in Blau.

Also there is an enemy HMG team in a building covering this area that I need to take care of, and a flamethrower team in another building that I need to keep an eye on.

12758151645_dd3145feb9_b.jpg

Zooming out you can see that I have pulled several squads back in anticipation of the incoming enemy artillery.. I am going to keep slight pressure on Blau from the right edge.. though I will not advance too hard as long as those three pieces of armor are driving around this area.

My ISU-122 crew has recovered and will re-mount their tank next turn.. then I will drive these two vehicles towards Blau.. if nothing but to keep Elvis's armor busy and interested in this front.

12758287683_3cbc4a09b1_b.jpg

Casualties

A quick comment on casualties.. I have taken quite a few, but really one or two from a team at a time, I have yet to lose a full team while Elvis has lost around seven full teams that I can think of (the two scout teams in KT3 early in the game) + one more that ran into my SMG team in the southern end of KT3 + the three teams (one HQ and two infantry teams in the buildings at Blau) + the one full team in the hedgelined field... he MUST have taken more casualties in the platoon that I am trying to cut off... plus?

I am satisfied with this exchange rate so far... his casualties must be at least equal in men to mine.. though mine are spread out amongst my teams, while his have been total team losses.

My big concern is the armor disparity... lose that and Elvis can indeed make my infantry suffer, which is why I want it concentrated around Objective Blau and not interfering with the happenings in the 5th company area.