Storm over Europe 1939 – Ash vs Will - Allies

Turn 30 – 31, September 1941

As fall approached with slow steps, the Soviet union faced economic collapse. Rostov had fallen as the Germans continued their offensive without pause, and the industrial heartland of Baku and urals lay open. Desperate, the soviets attempted to erect defences deeper into the mountains, ceding Maikop and the Crimean peninsula. So far, Zhukovs posturing in the north had produced no results…

dydb.png

Well, I wont lie. I’m in definite trouble! This game has seen what is probably the most effective 41 incursion into the USSR that we’ve had so far in our games, and I can’t seem to do a thing to even slow it down. If I hadn’t at least tried to, Will would be in Stalingrad and Baku by now, and he might still be. The only thing I can really do is try to create defensive lines further back, and pray for early bad weather. That, and attempt to create a credible threat with the western allies in 1942. Game on then!

lzmm.png

Will seems to know exactly where Zhukov is, and hasn’t made a wrong move in this area. That’s very vexing, he is scouting with Italian bombers, and leaving me no good areas to exploit. Still, I have to strike, and I will do so at newly captured Minsk. We’ll see how that goes, I just wish the blasted tankovy armies would regain readiness/morale a tad faster…

ktvk.png

The Brits sank two cruisers near Kristiansand, and are now blockading the Kattegat while forces attack Oslo. It proved harder to crack than I had hoped, and since I neglected to bring a HQ (serious newbie mistake) I might not even be able to take it! I’ll certainly make the attempt at least.

The US is slowly building up and building troops, I’ll have at least an army group to play with come summer 42. Now it’s just a question of where to use them.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn 32, October 10th 1941

As the shadow of disaster loomed in the east, 1941 was not without victories for the Allies. The largest single naval operation in history, aimed at securing the northern coast of Germany and the bay of Kattegat, successfully held through skirmishes with the Kriegsmarine to enable the official liberation of Norway. The Germans still held most of the important cities and resources along the coast, but the heart of Norway had been taken. The collaboration government was ousted, Quisling imprisoned, and key politicians replaced. In North Africa, the token Italian resistance as all but crushed, with Italian soldiers meeting the advancing British tanks on the dusty roads to surrender and receive a modicum of comforts.

%2332%20Soviet%20south.png

The south. The entire area west of the Caucasus gone. Very bad. I’m praying for crappy weather and winter to save me.

%2332%20Soviet%20North.png

In the North, intelligence hits and aerial scouting revealed some of the forces in the area. I sat around and debated the situation for a long time, counting supply paths and decay (the most fun part of the game for sure) and trying to make an attack work. I couldn’t, not with bad weather coming. Will has won in this area in the sense that his minimal forces have stumped a large Soviet one. I was just too slow and inefficient in reorganizing them, and their readiness is rising so… so slowly. On the other hand, Will has not gotten Finland into the war, which is nice and in accordance with my “Germany will stand alone” line of strategy.

%2332%20Norway.png

One question here, how on earth does carriers hit three or four out of four on entrenched units? That’s just… eh. That has to be looked at. It was nice to take it, but left me returning an amphib HQ and corps to the mainland.

In the Mediterranean British armor hit Tripoli, and one of two remaining battleships that came out to battle British was sunk.

Turn 33 - 35, November 1941to January 1942

As winter crept up and the bloody year of 1941 drew to a close, the axis continued to push forward in smaller increments regardless of weather. The fortress of Sevastopol came under siege in December, and would soon fall. In desperation Stalin transferred Siberian forces to the west front.

Even as Tripoli surrendered to the British in November, the pressure of a suddenly reinvigorated Kriegsmarine forces the Royal Navy from the bay of Kattegat, leaving two armies and a corps trapped in Norway. Churchill, in his new-years speech, vowed to return and bring “our soldiers” home. At the close of 1941 the US, having long debated entering the war, declared war on the Axis powers after suffering a humiliating blow at Pearl Harbour from the IJN.

Well then. Not much going on thankfully. I had to leave the troops in Norway for a bit to return to Britain and upgrade and reinforce the navy. With the US navy now coming into play, I will probably be able to secure the bay and retrieve two armies again. The convoys from Norway to German have stopped, but I don’t really know whether Will still gains resources from the mines under his control.

In the Mediterranean the last two Italian naval units came out to maul the British battleships in the area. One submarine and one cruiser, I thought that last one was a battleship, but it wasn’t! Anyway, the carriers are on their way to Britain to gather up and extract the troops along with conducting a bombing campaign on the Norway coastal mines eventually, but American ships will be arriving in the Mediterranean soon.

%2335%20Soviet%20North.png

%2335%20Soviet%20South.png

The soviet situation as of the turn of the year

So, what about plans? 1941 has been a bad year, the Soviets have taken so much punishment I’m not sure they can ever recover, so they really need help. Since Greece and Yugoslavia are currently neutral but very high on allied leaning, I’ll be moving both Brits and Americans into the Med and transporting them to Greece. With a timely diplo-bomb I should hopefully be able to get them in at an opportune time. There are quite a few Western Allied forces rearing to go, and the better part of these will proceed from Greece to Bulgaria, and then Romania, whereafter I hope that they will present enough of a distraction with threatening the German hold on southern Russia to draw forces away from the ailing soviets.

1942%20war%20plans.png

To complement this, I am going to try build up a strong army in the north, pushing there to draw forces away from the Southern front. The Siberian forces will move down to slightly north north-west of Stalingrad to counter attack any forces coming for that city. I will try to just hold at Moscow. The goal, in general, will be to force will to concentrate forces in Russia on one hand and thereby limit the massive land gains he’s making, and on the other hand divide his forces between several fronts.

An attack on Italy is in the cards, but we’ll see how things go. I had to invest three Russian diplomatic chits in Spain to definitively counter any further gain there, as will have now gotten them to 75% and a lucky hit would bring them into the war. Meanwhile, I will continue to bomb German and French resources and hopefully starve the German economy slowly to allow the Soviets to catch up despite their losses.

Thanks for your explanations :) Will be interesting to see, if the Russian Bear can strike back in '42 :) Thanks for the excellent AAR!

I gotta say that I learn a lot from just reading your AAR's. It will really help when I finally get the time to play a pvp match.

Thanks to you both, for taking the time to do this.

Thank you both for following us ^^. I am very happy that my blundering and philosophing can be helpful. On many levels I am pretty sure that the Russians cant strike back in any meaningful way in 1942, but I dont really see a good option and I need to distract Will from the Balkans. We'll see how it goes!

Turn 36, February 27th 1942

The start of 1942 was quiet as the Wehrmacht recovered from freezing winter and the red army attempted to build a semblance of resistance. Zhukovs grand winter attack in the North was forcibly cancelled, as recon flights revealed a much larger concentration of the enemy than anticipated.

In the west, the allies quietly geared up to participate in the real war.

%2336%20Soviet%20North.png

Well, crap. I just cant attack that massive German stack, my forces aren’t up for it, and I cant reach them efficiently. This is probably a mistake, I generally think the soviets have to attack after the winter hits, or they’ll be murdered in 1942. The ugly truth is that I just don’t have an army to do it with that would withstand the counter blow. Instead, I’ll keep building my forces.

%2336%20Moscow.png

%2336%20Soviet%20South.png

While recon in the North is fine, I suffer some anxiety over the fog of war elsewhere. I have no idea what is hiding around Kursk or Voronezh, is there a large german force there? I’ll have to move planes to find out. Same thing in the South, I know there are forces around stavropoli, but will the thrust go for Stalingrad from Rostov or Borisoglebsk? Will the Germans go for Stalingrad at all? I think I’ll build some cavalry next turn, so that I can scout a little later. This something I should have done much earlier, to have ready now when it is needed and I need to know where will is going. Oh well, play and learn!

Despite all the losses, soviet economy is around 540mpps per turn with the latest industry development. Not quite a match to the Germans unfortunately.

Turn 37, April 10th 1942

As spring bloomed across the vast lands of Russia, so did tension along the fronts, as forces built all across Soviet, and the Germans landed forces to contest Norway. Near Mogilev, a skirmish between the 20th army and scouting German forces became a spark to light conflagration. 1941 had been bloody, and it looked like 42’ would be worse…

This turn made some target priorities more clear. I caught glimpses of Panzers and Armies moving across Tula towards Moscow. Simultaneous scouting west and northwest of Stalingrad spotted no buildup of forces there. The Axis are pushing in the Caucasus, at the moment it looks like any strike towards Stalingrad must come from the Stavropol area.

These realizations means a couple of things;

%2337%20Soviet%20South.png

First, I wont be setting up the Siberian army group near Stalingrad as intended. The main reason for that was saving on operating costs, but I had to make that expense now. The Russian army group around Elista can react both east and south, depending on where the advance happens. I pulled the screening forces back to Georgievsk to draw the Germans there so I can perhaps flank them.

%2337%20Moscow.png

Second, Moscow was considerably strengthened both by arriving reinforcements and Siberian troops. If will has four or five armor units here I will have to retreat most of the Northern front to contest this area, or simply abandon it as lost rather than bleed dry. We’ll see how much he’s packing.

%2337%20Soviet%20North.png

Third, I beefed up the Northern front into proper fighting shape, there are lots of Germans, but hopefully they wont be ready for the number of armour units I have here. It might be that my destruction of that scouting corps kick things off in earnest here. At least my history book writing says so! ^^

I'm pretty surprised at Will landing paratroopers to contest Norway, its pretty likely that 2/1/1 upgraded corps and armies will be significantly harder to dislodge than a Garrison, and perhaps it will take enough time to allow me to send a refurbished royal navy with american support to make Wills life miserable. I need to wait for all the forces to gather though.

Turn 38, May 8th 1942

May saw the largest tank battle the world had ever seen. The Germans launched a massive spearhead assault into the waiting soviet lines, the 6th mechanized tankovny army was destroyed in the initial fighting, scattered by swarms of the Luftwaffe. The 50th army quickly followed. Zhukov released the entire armoured wing of the Red army in one wave. Observers later commented that the shadows of the tanks covered the horizon for as far as the eye could see, and the dust plumes created a stinging fog for miles. Two german Armour groups were destroyed in that first thrust, along with two armies. The first real losses of the Wehrmacht on the eastern front, but not the last.

The Axis pre-empted allied plans and invaded Yugoslavia, Britain and the US now raced to get forces into position before an attack on Greece put a premature end to their plans.

%2338%20Soviet%20North.png

Well gosh. I hate it when my pseudo history book writer is right! A real scrap is shaping up, unfortunately my poor tanks are getting the worst of it in each exchange so far, not to mention my technologically retarded infantry. I’ll keep reinforcing this area if I can, hoping to pull Germans from other fronts into the grinder.

In the south, the germans advanced closer to Georgyevsk as Pyatigorsk fell. Vatutins flanking army group moved closer, careful not to extend the “red” tiles any deeper into German territory. If you want to pull something stealthy, its’ important to remember than your zone of control advances one space ahead of all units, and it’s a dead giveaway through the fog of war. I’m beginning to question the wisdom of trying to outflank armour with nothing but AT guns…

Whoa… Will has committed an HQ in Norway. This could get bad… I don’t particularly want to lose those units. I need the carriers, and they’re a few turns away. I might have to go in regardless, using the American forces. A German carrier (eeek!) doesn’t really make things any better.

I had a hard decision to make in the Mediterranean, the German surprise conquest of Yugoslavia really threw me. This could derail my attack plan completely. I decided to hold off on investing diplomatic chits in Greece this turn, if Will declares war on Greece next it could get messy. On the other hand, if he doesn’t and moves his troops away it would be something of a win. We’ll see what happens! I was, on one hand, pretty happy I didn’t spend mpps on Yugoslavia, their army was absolutely terrible.

Turn 39, June 5th 1942

With summer and long days the fighting all over Russia bloomed. Everywhere, in the North by Smolensk, in central Russia by Moscow and in the Caucasus, men fought and died. This was a desperate battle for survival.

In the Mediterranean the allies suffered a severe setback, transports awaiting permission to debark came under attack by an Italian submarine, a threat thought neutralized. The admiralties failure to cast an adequate net to catch the Italians was the catalyst for doctrinal change in the navy.

%2339%20Mediterranean.png

Gosh dang naggit. Somehow, Will got wind of my transports off Greece and I had to retreat them and unload at Alexandria to avoid further losses. The tattered Mediterranean arm of the Royal navy sallied out and found a cruiser blocking the crossing near Crete, and a fierce naval battle ensued in which all parties suffered severe damage. The Americans are en route with destroyers, but I failed to read the red arrows adequately and sent them to the bay outside Spain, they’re a ways away yet. The genie is probably out of the bottle, and I have to invest in diplomacy just in case will is not ready to attack yet. Unfortunately, even with a 25% chance after both American and Russian chits, I didn’t get a hit this turn.

%2339%20Moscow.png

In Russia there is fighting on all fronts. Moscow came under direct attack, and the German army is strong. I will probably need to retreat from here, but will try to cause some damage and delay. A fortunate bombardment on forward axis armour in low supply kicked off a bigger attack than I expected, and the combined efforts of Air and a lot of ground assets finished that armour unit. Hurrah! That’s probably my only coming victory in this region though, as Wills counter blow is sure to be brutal…

%2339%20Soviet%20North.png

Zhukov, meanwhile, made the motherland proud. Despite losing two armour groups here, I’m hoping that I have now destroyed the last of the Panzers in the region and that Will must now pull forces from elsewhere. A complicated series of shifts and attack+retreats saw the end of a Panzergrenadier, an AT unit, and finally an armour unit at 6str for minimal losses. Bombardments from the two artillery pieces helped, I really like that I can bombard after “switching” unlike in the WW1 scenario (it makes sense there though). All the fighters chipped in for one hit too!

%2339%20Soviet%20South.png

The south is the most difficult theatre, with German forces advancing virtually unopposed. I sent one AT gun ahead to damage the forward armor, but the second flanking AT gun was just out of range and denied my the plan I had to combine all four AT pieces and perhaps destroy another Armour unit. Instead I shifted, pulled back some AT and sent two armies to attempt a cutoff, at the very least it will force Will to send units back there to guard the supply lines.

Soviet inf tech was at 97%, but failed to proc. Much sadness was had.

The admiralties failure to cast an adequate net to catch the Italians was the catalyst for doctrinal change in the navy.

The doctrinal change is to leave the transports in port (e.g., tobruk) where they are relatively safe, then rush out and debark in greece. I was surprised to see them floating around, where they could be spotted by generally patrolling, and then nailed.

I think you're doing okay. If you can get the Western front going, or take Italy out with a lighting invasion of Rome, you have a good chance.

Turn 40, July 3rd 1942

The slaughter on the eastern front reached such intensity that Stalin briefly evacuated Moscow to fly to Athens, begging the western allies to open a new front immediately, and the Greek Government to enter the war. The German Juggernaut was unstoppable, and losses were reaching critical levels for even the Red Army.

The Western Allies meanwhile increased political pressure on Greece, and continued to ready for a mass landing. The second battle of Kattegat began as the Royal Navy returned, trying to race time to fulfil Churchills promise.

%2340%20Moscow.png

Well, that was really, really painful. 14 units lost this turn, many of them armies. I cant recover from more hits like this, and my only option is to throw caution to the wind and abandon investments in Spain in favour of Greece. That may well prove to be a serious mistake, but I cant afford to wait any longer. At the end of the turn, probability stood at 45%. Moscow is done, I’m attempting to withdraw some forces, in the main to bait Will into chasing them instead of the other huge problem I’m about to have.

%2340%20Northern%20front.png

The Northern front, though in many ways a tactical success, is about to turn into a strategic disaster. With the fall of Moscow, the route is clear to outflank Zhukov. I think I’ll have to start falling back towards the swamps shortly, unless Will is distracted, or I can get reinforcements to the right place.

%2340%20Southern%20Front.png

The south. Eh. The attempt to cut supply was a disaster, lots of units died, and I had to withdraw completely. Thems the breaks.

%2340%20Norway.png

Norway. Will is finding upgraded armies a lot harder to destroy than piddly garrisons, but despite this our brave soldiers cant hold on for much longer. I threw the navy at Skaggerack, we’ll see what happens next. One submarine went down, and the Bismark sank to the bottom of the sea.

Soviets finally got infantry weapons 2, and .. belatedly, Greece moved 10% towards the allies! With any luck, they wont actually join the war until the start of my turn. I may still be in this. We’ll see!

The doctrinal change is to leave the transports in port (e.g., tobruk) where they are relatively safe, then rush out and debark in greece. I was surprised to see them floating around, where they could be spotted by generally patrolling, and then nailed.

I think you're doing okay. If you can get the Western front going, or take Italy out with a lighting invasion of Rome, you have a good chance.

Yeah, that was pretty silly of me :P.

I'm not so sure actually, the Eastern front is going terrible, mostly due to mismanagement and waste of units on my part and the absolutely massive german attack on the south. If Will breaks them this year, and he actually might, the western allies wont be able to put up much of a struggle against the Germans. I'm still holding out hope, we'll see how it goes. I never give up until its over!

Turn 41, July 17th 1942

As the USSR crumbled under the jackboots of the Wehrmacht, Germany issued a pre-emptive declaration of war to Greece. Initial incursions were light, an Italian armour group struck towards Salonica. The Western Allies, having fount the ingress into Europe that they needed, started to land and position forces even as the Greeks consolidated inwards to mobilize reserves and receive allied weaponry.

The “brawl in the sound” continued, with periodic skirmishes between the Allied naval forces and the Kriegsmarine. The Cruiser Norfolk was torpedoed near the mouth of the Sound off Aalborg, and listing suffered a fatal salvo from arriving German cruisers, the Admiral Scheer and the Scharnhorst. The Washington battleship took heavy damage, and disengaged leaving the rest of the combined navy to sink both cruisers and chase one submarine from the sound. The British army in Norway continued to hold out, for now.

%2341%20Soviet%20North.png

Wow, that was almost as bad as last turn. An unlucky retreat off the line left Zhukov exposed to Armor, and an unlucky retreat by him in turn exposed him to a corps attack. That was… not good. With the Northern front crumbling, I have no option but to retreat. It wont do any good, but I might distract Will for a while.

%2341%20Societ%20Centre.png

Likewise, Moscow fell like a wall of wet paper, and my few remaining forces took a battering and are now trying to escape northwards.

%2341%20Soviet%20South.png

In the South, panzers are no doubt refitting. I cant think of much to stop them with, but I’m making some sort of attempt at building a fortification on the access route to Baku. I have almost no units, much like everywhere else.

%2341%20Greece.png

The first Allied units landed in Greece, and I’m trying to consolidate Greek forces to upgrade them and reinforce. Americans inhabit nearby ports to disembark where needed.

Turn 42, July 31st 1942

The fighting temporarily abated as July drew to a close. The Germans had to consolidate their conquests and reinforce what losses they had sustained, and the Soviets could not mount an offensive of any kind.

In this vacuum, the allies continued to tighten their grip on Norway, and land ever more forces in Greece.

Nothing much happened in Soviet. I reinforced what I could, upgraded weapons, and Grozny along with its oil field will fall to the axis next turn.

%2342%20Norway.png

Slightly more lively was Norway, the kriegsmarine has withdrawn, though I suspect the –at least- four subs previously harassing soviet lend-lease might be heading down to cause me headaches. I sank the trapped sub, and started bombarding the coastal towns and sending air forces towards Kluge, who was mildly damaged.

%2342%20Greece.png

Bulgarian forces approaching Salonica were driven back with heavy losses as three US armies appeared. O’connor landed to coordinate supply, and ever more forces move towards the area.

Turn 43, August 14th, 1942

Wehrmacht forces continued a slow consolidation of conquered territory in the east. A massive Luftwaffe redeployment to readied airfields in Denmark prompted the withdrawal of the navy from the sound, As the jubilant army in Oslo cheered at silhouettes of salvation close by, they received only one message, “hold, we will return”. This strategic decision, tying up Luftwaffe and fallschirmsjaeger forces in Norway, was one massively unpopular on the home front, and would eventually lead to Churchills fall as Prime minister…

%2343%20Norway.png

It looks like will has redeployed a lot of the Luftwaffe to Denmark, so I have to pull out for a bit. I’m pretty happy about having draw down such a large force with just two armies, so they’ll stay to make sure those paras don’t cause me trouble elsewhere. I’ll come back once I have a lot of reinforced carriers.

%2343%20Greece.png

Fighting is escalating in Greece, with Canadian armour and the British army engaging Italian armour forces and Bulgarians in decisive victories. The RAF and US Air force has begun to deploy in strength.

%2343%20Soviet%20North.png

As German forces attack Smolensk, Timoshenko directs a small distraction and attacks a german corps north of the city. Shortly it will fall, and the Germans turn north towards Leningrad. I don’t much like that thought, but not much to do about it!

%2343%20Soviet%20South.png

Grozny oil fields gone, and more Russian MMPs down the drain. Not… good. I’m gathering forces north of the german approach to see if I can try a cutoff again and buy some time.

Love reading this AAR! Thanks especially for the pics of the campaign!

This is making me want to try this scenario!

Thank you for following! I'm glad you like it.

Its a great scenario, the best ww2 one in my opinion due to the large areas involved and therefore the focus on manoeuvre warfare.

I love your use of the word "Ouch" in the images! :)

Is the UK supplying the maximum possible MPPs by convoy to the USSR? This amount can be adjusted in the Convoy screen.

Haha, thanks! :) That word kept going through my head that turn :P.

Oh, you can adjust them? Cool, I didnt know! Will have to do that. Thanks for the tip!

Turn 43, August 28th, 1942

The fighting in Greece intensified as German and Italian forces responded. Though battered by the advance of the German 14th and 16th armies, Canadian armoured forces fought well and retreated in good order to receive replacements. In turn, the western allies scored their first significant victory, destroying the German 14th army.

Bitter fighting, ongoing for most of the year still raged in Drammen, where the Royal navy could continually sneak in valuable reinforcements under cover of darkness in what came to be known as the “night express”.

In Southern USSR, under immense pressure from Stalin to preserve the last oil fields in the Baku area, Vatutin launched a counter attack to cut the railway link between the forward German army group and Rostov. The beleaguered Rokossovsky launched his own limited counter attack, temporarily disrupting the elite XVI panzer corps advance.

%2344%20Soviet%20North.png

%2344%20Soviet%20South.png

Not much to add aside from the pictures! Retreat in the north, a (most likely) doomed counter thrust in the south to buy time. Greece full of allies and fighting. Forgot the picture of Greece, will include one next time!

Turn 45, September 11th, 1942

As September crept in across northern Europe, the first of the two British armies marooned in Norway was defeated. The weight of the Luftwaffe turned the tide. A memorial to the sacrifice of all those brave men and women now stand outside the Palace of Westminster.

Vatutin quickly found himself embroiled in chaotic fighting as German reinforcements came by rail, and more armour groups closed on his position. Desperately trying to withdraw, valuable soviet armour was lost. However, the Germans had been distracted. As XVI panzer closed on Baku, contacting and nearly overrunning Rokossovskys command position, new Soviet Armour started emerging directly from factory floors onto the battlefield. The elite enemy panzers were trapped and out of supply, and the Germans readied to immediately turn to its rescue…

%2345%20Soviet%20South.png

The south turned into something of a cluster-eff. I had to withdraw a little after loosing some armor, and I think I’ll get hammered even more next turn. However, deploying new reinforcements actually trapped some of Wills armour, we’ll see how it goes!

%2345%20Greece.png

Greece is going forward. I lost an American army, which is a pain since they take forever to get to the theatre of operations. In return I destroyed the Italian armour and a Romanian army. Bradley has arrived to take command of American forces in the area. I also adjusted convoys from US to GB to max, and the same to Soviet.

Turn 46, September 25th, 1942

As more forces streamed out of recruiting grounds in the Caucasus, the Wehrmacht failed to break the encirclement of XVI panzer, the bitter fighting intensified in Southern Soviet.

Meanwhile, the Allies strove to push a steady stream of arriving axis forces back. Gaining ground was difficult in the harsh terrain of Greece.

%2346%20Soviet%20North.png

The Northern front is looking very thin. I’m not deploying any reinforcements here, and will likely commit few of the freshly built forces to this area. It’s a deathtrap, and I probably cant hold it. I’m looking to make it take as much time as possible though.

%2346%20Soviet%20South.png

I got the panzer! Yay! Its not much of a victory, but I’ll take any kind of win I can. It looks like Will now has both lvl 3 inf, and lvl 3 armor. That is very bad! I’m happy that bad weather is afoot, hopefully that will save me from what would otherwise be a total annihilation.

%2346%20greece.png

I debated a long time whether to break off two US armour groups and a special forces from the main invasion to try a sneaky landing in Italy. After a lot of counting, hand wringing and thinking I decided against it. I need the weight of all the allied forces in Greece if I want to make any headway, especially now that Will has a big tech advantage on them. Progress is pretty slow, but research is going full tilt back in the US. Its worse with the Brits, who have had to invest most of their MPPs getting their troops to Greece at all. I’m looking to make more investments there during the winter.

Turn 47, October 23rd, 1942

The allied advance continued throughout October, closing in on Sofia and defeating a german army in the field. Likewise, Tirana was taken from the Italians. Despite these successes, more and more of the Wehrmacht deployed to the region, and further gains would come at cost…

Vatutin continued his efforts to break the rail link between Grozny and the main body of the axis forces. Significant reinforcements now flooded the Baku area, and the link severed near Georgiyevsk.

%2347%20Soviet%20North.png

As you can see, the situation is pretty precarious in the North. If I can keep the Germans away until the summer of 43’ I will be pretty happy. Things may of course change, depending on Wills commitment to the area. If he seems weak here an offensive buildup might be in order, but I figure he will drive hard to take Leningrad, and I wont be able to stop him.

%2347%20Soviet%20South.png

I scored a good hit with AT versus a low readiness Panzer, and shifted troops to cut the rail line. If I’m lucky, I might be able to halt the German advance here and maybe even start to push back come summer.

%2347%20greece.png

Tirana is a step to outflank Skopje, and I am now close to Sofia. I’ve realized that the initial wave of western allies here isn’t enough, and have begun building a new army group in the US.