Mod request.

Hilts

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody interested, I put up an update for the US Uniform Mod. All gear now has a canvas feel with some added detail. Airborne units now have 2 scrim helmets 1 net, Army have 3 helmets. Also added some sergeant uniforms for Normandy airborne units. The bump maps included with this mod are toned down; I will deal with how I want to rebuild them later.

Please Note there is a bump map bug in the current version of the game. It puts vehicle bump maps on roof tops but also affects US infantry. When US infantry are in full shadow, such as in a building or under a tree, the bump maps become reversed and displays dark shadows were light would be. I double checked to make sure it was not me by removing all mods. So if you have noticed this, it is not me.

Next update, I hope to tweak the belts on the uniform and add some different color ones.

Mod

ez

Thanks Saferight,

Erwin, the terrain tweak Mod is nothing more than me trying to influence my will upon this game and how the terrain looks. It is basically a desaturation Mod that gives the terrain more of a blue green feel with darker trees. Most likely nothing you’re interested in, but someone may find it useful and or maybe not, I mod to see how things work.

This image here basically shows it in action.

ez

I think the stock uniforms are way too green. Ideally, I would love it if my MG American airborne troops looked like they do in A Bridge Too Far. The uniforms in that have a washed out look which looks far better in my opinion. EZ is on the right lines with his mod.

Too green?

Perhaps you are right.

I am the guy who did the stock uniforms. I guess I should have used the “A Bridge too far” movie as the historical documentation source for the uniforms rather than the 6 or 7 original M43 jackets in my personal collection. A pair of those jackets are postwar, the rest wartime dated, including a pair of mint ones. Fortunately those jackets were pretty cheap about 15 years ago because most collectors looked for the “M41” jackets (I have at least 4 originals) at that time rather than looking for the less glamorous M43. AFAIK they are not expensive nowadays, but it is difficult to find a mint one.

I did a near mint uniform as the one worn when those guys landed in the Netherlands. It obviously got quickly faded after some days of campaign, but I am not sure how faded the uniform became if you take into account that Nimegen was taken after 4 days of the initial jumps and the whole Market-Garden Operation lasted just 9 days.

Too green?

Perhaps you are right.

I am the guy who did the stock uniforms. I guess I should have used the “A Bridge too far” movie as the historical documentation source for the uniforms rather than the 6 or 7 original M43 jackets in my personal collection. A pair of those jackets are postwar, the rest wartime dated, including a pair of mint ones. Fortunately those jackets were pretty cheap about 15 years ago because most collectors looked for the “M41” jackets (I have at least 4 originals) at that time rather than looking for the less glamorous M43. AFAIK they are not expensive nowadays, but it is difficult to find a mint one.

I did a near mint uniform as the one worn when those guys landed in the Netherlands. It obviously got quickly faded after some days of campaign, but I am not sure how faded the uniform became if you take into account that Nimegen was taken after 4 days of the initial jumps and the whole Market-Garden Operation lasted just 9 days.

Thanks for your input. I take your point about the length of the operation but what about the weeks of training beforehand or are we assuming they jumped into battle in brand new uniforms?

Thanks for your input. I take your point about the length of the operation but what about the weeks of training beforehand or are we assuming they jumped into battle in brand new uniforms?

AFAIK they got the M43 uniforms shortly before the jumps. In fact it seems at least one unit (504th PIR) jumped in M42 uniforms rather than the M43 ones.

The uniform was really shiny when new. It can be seen on some pics of paratroopers taken in England. After some time it lost the shine, but the pics I have seen of paratroopers going into their transports on September 17th or in the field do not show heavily used uniforms at all. In fact they look quite new. Most of the time they do not shine, but they look almost unused and uncreased, very different from heavily used, dirty M43 uniforms you can see on the pics taken from infantrymen later in the war.

• 1 year later...