Sign in to follow this  
Badger73

Intel HD 4000 graphics card- old questions, any new progress?

I am one of those unfortunates with a Win7 laptop unable to run CMBN/CW/MG (updated to patch v2.12). I've checked the forums and understand why there are issues. I'm asking if there are any solution updates lately.

System Info:

- Windows7 Enterprise SP1

- System Rating: 6.5

- Processor: Intel Core i7 3540M CPU @ 3.00 GHz

- RAM: 8.00 GB

- Version: 64-bit OS

- Display Adaptor version - 8.15.10.2696

- DirectX 10

Error Info:

- The programs starts but quickly quits at the start-up splash screen

- "CM Normandy.exe has stopped working"

- A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I attempted to download graphics driver 15.22.54.64.2622 (Jan 2012) as recommended elsewhere on the forum. It failed.

- Started Win7Vista_64_152254.exe

- It begins "extracting" then produces the following error:

- "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software"

Fortunately, this is not my primary gaming PC. I installed CMBN on it for backup. This laptop is a PC issued by my employer which I use it for work. Because my work has me traveling 60% of the time now, I was hoping to spend my hotel time on the road learning and creating CMBN scenarios.

So, the real question is whether there is some work-around utility which will let me run CMBN in the scenario editor on this laptop? Hope springs eternal. EInquiring minds want to know. Thanks for whatever help can be provided.

The issue is Intel's support for OpenGL. Only a few of their drivers will work for CMBN and other CMx2-based games. Since your laptop cannot use the Intel-provided drivers and your laptop manufacturer is not providing updated ones themselves, then the game is NOT going to work on your laptop and there is NO known 'work-around' for this.

In your particular case there will only be a solution when the laptop manufacturer releases a driver that is the same as the compatible Intel ones (and not all of the latest Intel ones work with the game). Unfortunately many laptop manufacturers drop support for updating drivers soon after they release a laptop, leaving you stuck with the drivers that the unit was originally released with. I don't know if there are any 'hacked' driver installs that would allow you to install the Intel-provided drivers on your laptop (there used to be such a program for ATI/AMD Radeon Mobilities and ATI-provided Catalyst drivers).

@Schrullenhaft,

Thank you for such a quick reply! I was afraid that might still be the case. It seems no good deed goes unpunished! My employer required me to upgrade from a WindowsXP Fujitsu Lifebook laptop to a newer Windows7 Lifebook E752. Things worked fine on that legacy machine. I understand the need for progress but now CMBN doesn't work on this new one. Alas and alack! Thank you again.

What's the procedure for "de-activating" the CMBN license code on a machine that can't play the game?

In this case, I would like to get back my back up activation code, uninstall from this non-playable laptop, and install my back-up copy elsewhere. Thank you.

According to page 5 of the Combat Mission v2.11 Manual it is not possible to un-license or deactivate. You get a set number of activations to use, initially 4 plus one more every 365 days, but like rolls of toilet paper once they are used they don't come back.

FWIW in most cases you can override the block that prevents installation of graphics chip vendor drivers on laptops.

@Redwolf,

Thank you. I do not know how to do that. Is there any info you can provide or point me towards?

Badger73

i have same problem and i was able to over pass it by running another game (then ctrl+tab and start cmbn...by doing that the hd4000 increased its memory and cmbn recognized the graphics as matching its min requirement...anyhow as it was really slow (no configuration of the graphic car by my side, apart that i was unable to find in the intel page some mentioned as working drivers) and unstable (dont know if selecting an specific core is feasible in win7 and if it would help) i desisted trying to run it again.

if you or somebody else could help to short it out it could be great, cause ,like you, i would like to use my on the road time for some productive matters.

@Redwolf,

Thank you. I do not know how to do that. Is there any info you can provide or point me towards?

You need to google it for the specific drivers in play. Sometimes the self-extracting exe has a commandline parameter, sometimes you can unpack and manually install the core driver components.

I run Linux on my laptop so I don't have to deal with that.

Sign in to follow this