Warships at sea for extended periods

Apologies if this subject has been raised before but I haven't seen any discussion on it.

I have found I can have raiders at sea for years without them having to return to port. They occasionally loose a little strength to the odd storm but unless they meet another warship they seem to be able to remain at sea indefinitely. This would appear to be a little unrealistic.

What do other forum members think?

Hi CATS2010 :) ,

- The thing is ships/subs raiders won't lose supply unless they actually raid convoy lanes (1 supply lost per turn). You can think they get supply from special tankers like this one:

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10926

But over time thry will need to go back to port to repair damage from combat/rough seas and refuel at 100%.

- That's why having a string of friendly ports is important (spanish ports are precious for South Atlantic raiding or italian ones for Indian Ocean). Supply doesn't drop when raiding enemy convoy lanes in supply range (S key blue numbers on sea tiles) of friendly ports. However you still need to enter the port proper to get back full supply.

I hope it helps !