Quickbattles with AI much better now

When I first tried QBs against the AI, it often seemed that opposing forces were oddly positioned and didn't defend well, and QBs were usually a turkey shoot.

I didn't play this sort of QB for a while, but have played a few recently, after the recent patches. The AI seems to do a much better job of choosing and positioning forces now. Occasionally it still does something weird, but a lot of the time the enemy forces are very well positioned, with ATGs in great spots and so on.

Perhaps I didn't give the game a chance the game a chance the first time round, but QBs against the AI seem to be much improved now.

There were, IIRC, some issues with some of the QB maps to do with map edge definitions that made it difficult for the AI to know what they were doing, which have been fixed as they've been brought to light and BFC have mentioned that they've tweaked the AI's force pick algorithms.

The main issue, aside from the absence of CM1's Combined Arms option, is, imo, the wonky force selection. At first the AI was overly fond of buying wall to wall anti-tank guns. Now, since AA guns and vehicles were introduced, you get a heavy allotment of these units. You can buy the AI's force- which kind of defeats the purpose.

I do infantry only attacks in QBs as well, which has caused me great pain in H2H pbem battles. I just began playing human opponents recently and am finding that my infantry tactics are strong, but my armor tactics are an absolute joke. It'll take me a few more games before I learn how to use my AFVs.

It seems the only place to learn effective combined arms tactics is in the H2H realm because of the ease with which AI AFVs are destroyed in QBs.

Admittedly, the AI is rather passive in defence, which is less suited to armour, but I've had some good battles against the AI recently - as well as some that were too easy. It's worked best if I take the 'force suggestions' in the force picker - although I usually tidy that up a little. Sometimes it's too easy, but I've had some good battles - for example with mostly Sherman 75s against very well sited German heavy armour.

One of the best recently was SS mechanised (my force) against British airborne. The AI set up the British guns, mortars and MGs very well - it was tough getting my infantry forward against MGs and mortars that were supporting each other very well, and the German HTs didn't have a chance until the infantry had got far enough forward to spot some very cunningly positioned ATGs. The flat Holland maps added nicely to the difficulty.

It used to be the AI would position everything quite oddly - things that ought to be at the front were at the back and so on - but now it usually positions assets better on defence than I would have myself.

Still the AI could be more responsive and aggressive - which I'm sure is just a matter of time - but I'm having a lot more fun with QBs than I ever did before.