Sign in to follow this  
Michael Emrys

Request for feature restoration

What happens when you use the up and down arrow keys?

Michael

Right - I could check - good idea...

So, I tried the arrow keys in both 1.0 and 2.12. The behaved the same and panned the camera up and down and side to side like you were looking with your neck up and down and turning your head side to side.

Which I believe is what you expected them todo. So, they are working for me. I am running the game under Windows 7.

Which I believe is what you expected them todo.

Just so.

I am running the game under Windows 7.

And I am on a Mac running Mavericks. There seem to have been a flurry of problems that have emerged with the 1.12 and 2.12 patches, largely but not exclusively among Mac users, and among Mac users largely but not exclusively among machines that have been updated to 10.9. It is not at all unheard of for problems to turn up following a new patch, but there seem to be more of them this time around by my very casual and non-scientific survey. It may be unfortunate for Mac users that the patches came out at about the same time that Maverick was released. What is really strange and aggravating is that different players have different problems or no problems at all even when running on the same equipment with the same OS and all. This must make tracking down the source of the problems one by one much more complicated. But if somehow all the different problems, or at least a significant majority of them, all point to the same source, that could actually help to identify the source. I'm glad this isn't my job, but I will help however I can.

Michael

It is not at all unheard of for problems to turn up following a new patch, but there seem to be more of them this time around by my very casual and non-scientific survey.

Or just more that effected you this time:(

It may be unfortunate for Mac users that the patches came out at about the same time that Maverick was released.

That does muddy the waters for sure.

This must make tracking down the source of the problems one by one much more complicated. But if somehow all the different problems, or at least a significant majority of them, all point to the same source, that could actually help to identify the source. I'm glad this isn't my job, but I will help however I can.

Yeah, it sucks when an OS vender changes stuff that you relay on, either explicitly or implicitly. They all do it - from time to time.

Good luck

Emrys, try banging your face on your keyboard while repeating the phrase "I am a happy woddpecker...I am a happy woodpecker!"

I know this will work!

Mord.

P.S. Don't let your nurse see you doing it...she might shoot you up with thorazine.

P.S.S. Be sure to record this and upload it to Youtube...you know, as a tutorial for newbies that might have the same problem.

Hm. I'm on OSX 10.9 & v2.12 and the keyboard arrows are working as they always have -- pan up/down, left/right.

So whatever your issue is, it is not a general problem in Mavericks. I can't even hazard a guess as to where to start troubleshooting...

Hah, I'd so got used to using the mouse I had entirely forgot about the keyboard arrow keys. Works for me, as does WASD, though I'm not going to be abandoning mouse movement anytime soon. Did you know keypad 8462 also pans the camera? Still, using the keyboard controls feels to me like trying to control your car's speed on the highway by applying the handbrake. There are more efficient controls.

Also, you shouldn't overlook the possibility of hardware issues. Over the years I've gone through four keyboards playing the game and more than a couple mice. I recall at one point I had two keyboards daisy-chained together because certain keys worked on one and certain keys worked on another. :D

Hm. I'm on OSX 10.9 & v2.12 and the keyboard arrows are working as they always have -- pan up/down, left/right.

So whatever your issue is, it is not a general problem in Mavericks. I can't even hazard a guess as to where to start troubleshooting...

I would start with shooting Emrys, he's nothing but trouble.

Michael,

Have you tried:

- bringing up the keyboard viewer on screen, and checking that, when you press the errant up and down arrow keys, the appropriate key images flash on screen? (i.e. that OS 10.9 is still recognising your arrow keys key presses?)

- in CMx2, but in the menu screens before you start a game, do the up and down arrow keys still correctly e.g. scroll up and down menu choices for battle listings?

In short, is it ONLY in-game camera movements where the keys have stopped working as you expect?

Michael,

Have you tried:

- bringing up the keyboard viewer on screen, and checking that, when you press the errant up and down arrow keys, the appropriate key images flash on screen? (i.e. that OS 10.9 is still recognising your arrow keys key presses?)

Yep. Normal.

- in CMx2, but in the menu screens before you start a game, do the up and down arrow keys still correctly e.g. scroll up and down menu choices for battle listings?

Yep. Normal.

In short, is it ONLY in-game camera movements where the keys have stopped working as you expect?

Yep. NOT normal.

Michael

I understand your concerns, Phil, and respect them. But as you can see, posting in this forum has provoked much useful discussion that did not make its way into the Tech Support Forum. I think that mostly people only visit Tech if they have a problem and are looking for help, and that more people are apt to see and respond to a thread here.

Yes, but WE read and respond to tech support threads in the Tech Support forum. If you want tech support - and if you're having problems I suspect you do? - you're much more likely to get it if the discussion is kept to Tech Support.

I don't have time to track general forum threads on a regular basis, and our tech support staff won't be watching there either. If you want our help, post to Tech Support and keep it there. Starting parallel discussions in the general forums just means we need to do extra work to help you, IF we know / remember the thread exists and take the time to find it and read it.

And, on top of all that, tech support is where people with similar issues will be looking. It really is massively more helpful to just post tech support issues where they belong, and keep them there. So, for all of those reasons, I've asked for this thread to be moved over. It seems to have run its course in terms of anecdotal feedback and entered the "please look and see if this is a bug" stage one way or the other, and for my own reference it'll really help if it's here.

Sign in to follow this