Sign in to follow this  
Michael Emrys

Request for feature restoration

I hadn't played CM since installing the 2.12 patch, but last night fired it up and discovered much to my dismay that there is no longer a PAN UP and PAN DOWN feature. Since I use that feature all the time, my play is now crippled.

Actually, I first noticed that all my shortcut had been altered by the patch, so I set about to reset them back to what I like. This was mostly successful, although I had a hell of a time getting the NEXT UNIT and PREVIOUS UNIT to work right, until I went into the game files and noticed that there were two extra sets of hotkeys in there and that they seemed to be confusing the computer. That problem went away after removing the extra sets.

But there doesn't seem to be anything I can do myself to restore PAN UP and PAN DOWN. In their place now are RAISE and LOWER. I even tried renaming them in the hotkeys text file but that didn't work. Apparently they are coded on a deeper level that I don't have access to.

I can't understand why the change was made. The player can already raise and lower the camera using the number keys with the scroll wheel for finer adjustments. So using the Up and Down Arrow keys to raise and lower the camera strikes me as superfluous. And I really need the up and down panning. So if there is some piece of software I can install to restore the original function, or any trick I can perform, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Michael

Michael, the next time you need install that patch, your shortcuts are backed up and stored in the data folder!

From the readme:

HOTKEYS.TXT FILE:

This patch includes new hotkeys.txt file, necessary for the 2.0 Upgrade. Any existing hotkeys.txt file is automatically renamed to "previous_hotkeys.txt", so you can either replace or reconstruct your preferred hotkeys settings quickly.

Hope that helps!

I agree using the mouse to control the camera is a much better way to go over using the keyboard. A mouse with many programmable buttons is even better. Add to that a Nostromo speedpad to get rid of the keyboard all together, and then you really control the game like a pro with speed, and ease. I control the whole game with these, and never have to hunt and peck for hotkeys. It is all by touch.

The poor man has been hanging out in the Peng thread humming Barry Manilow tunes, what do you expect?

LMFAO...

Michael, if you do a quick pan up or down with your mouse you should then be able to use the pan keys the way you want. Now... step away from the window and put the Barry Manilow tunes down.

Michael, the next time you need install that patch, your shortcuts are backed up and stored in the data folder!

From the readme:

HOTKEYS.TXT FILE:

This patch includes new hotkeys.txt file, necessary for the 2.0 Upgrade. Any existing hotkeys.txt file is automatically renamed to "previous_hotkeys.txt", so you can either replace or reconstruct your preferred hotkeys settings quickly.

Hope that helps!

That's not the way it works on Macs. We're lucky to get automatic installation of the proper things, let alone shifting things around.

Let's keep topics like this to the tech support section, please. I replied to your tech support thread on the same subject, Michael.

The poor man has been hanging out in the Peng thread humming Barry Manilow tunes, what do you expect?

Just be thankful he's not hanging out in the Barry Manilow thread, humming Peng tunes...

If all else fails, Ctrl+mousewheel controls the camera attitude. I don't know if that works on Mac, though.

Just tried that, but what that does is control a kind of zoom. I say "kind of" because it enlarges the whole image including the cursor. A bit weird.

Michael

Michael, if you do a quick pan up or down with your mouse you should then be able to use the pan keys the way you want.

Nope, sorry. I just tried it and and it doesn't work on my Mac. Thanks for trying though.

Michael

I could be wrong, but isn't this accomplished by holding the right mouse button and moving the mouse up and down?

That does work, but I don't much care for it, as holding the right-click button also makes the camera pan side to side. In other words, it is intrinsically clumsier for me to use.

Michael

Just tried that, but what that does is control a kind of zoom. I say "kind of" because it enlarges the whole image including the cursor. A bit weird.

Michael

That sounds like some type of magnification glass feature by your operating system (you should be able to disable it). I can only speak for the Windows version's specific buttons, but presumably the same game function should be on Mac, maybe under some other key combination.

That sounds like some type of magnification glass feature by your operating system (you should be able to disable it). I can only speak for the Windows version's specific buttons, but presumably the same game function should be on Mac, maybe under some other key combination.

Good thought. When I am in the mood to experiment some more, I'll try it with the Command or Option keys. But meanwhile, Unity of Command: Black Turn came out this morning and it's a hoot.

:)

Michael

Michael, what were the default keys for Pan Up / Pan Down before the patch?

I honestly don't recall what the default was. I know I always used the arrow keys, but I also recall setting them myself. In any event, Pan Up and Pan Down simply no longer exist as commands on the version I now own. I am tempted to go back to 2.10 just to see what that looked like. I am certain beyond doubt that those commands were still functioning in that version and almost certain that I used them in 2.11 as well during the brief period before 2.12 was released.

Michael

Let's keep topics like this to the tech support section, please. I replied to your tech support thread on the same subject, Michael.

I understand your concerns, Phil, and respect them. But as you can see, posting in this forum has provoked much useful discussion that did not make its way into the Tech Support Forum. I think that mostly people only visit Tech if they have a problem and are looking for help, and that more people are apt to see and respond to a thread here.

Michael

Good thought. When I am in the mood to experiment some more, I'll try it with the Command or Option keys. But meanwhile, Unity of Command: Black Turn came out this morning and it's a hoot.

:)

Michael

Good luck in Operation Typhoon, its quite the challenge. I have barely made it half way to Moscow!

I happen to have version 1.0 installed (but my 2.0x installs have been removed). I see no mention of camera up down panning in the hotkeys file:

// You can edit this file to modify various in-game functions and hot-key based commands. Use of special characters (shift, alt, control, numpad or function keys) is not permitted. The letter in <>'s (E,F or G) designates the language (English, French or German).

Camera Keys

// camera forward motion

<E>W

<F>Z

// camera slide left

<E>A

<F>Q

// camera slide right

<E>D

// camera backward motion

<E>S

// camera rotate left

<E>Q

<F>A

// camera rotate right

<E>E

// camera turn 180 degrees 

<E>V

// camera raise elevation

<E>R

// camera lower elevation

<E>F

// camera zoom out

<E>Z

<G>Y

<F>W

// camera zoom in 

<E>X

// camera wide-angle/regular angle toggle

<E>C

Misc Keys

// select previous unit 

<E>-

// select next unit

<E>=

<G>+

// lower 3D Model Quality

<E>{

// increase 3D Model Quality

<E>}

// chat Message Toggle

<E>`

Command Keys Direct

<E>B	// move fast

<E>		// move quick

<E>N	// move normal

<E>		// move slow

<E>		// move hunt

<E>		// move assault

<E>\	// move reverse

<E>		// move blast

<E>		// move mark mines

<E>T	// target

<E>Y	// target light

<E>		// target arc

<E>		// NOT USED

<E>G	// face

<E>		// target smoke

<E>/	// deploy

<E>P	// pause

<E>H	// hide

<E>[	// dismount

<E>		// bail out

<E>]	// vehicle open up

<E>;	// pop smoke

<E>		// acquire

<E>		// divide teams

<E>		// assault team

<E>		// antitank team

<E>		// scout team

<E>		// vehicle team

// These keys are relative to the button position in the displayed command panel and are used only when a Command Keys Direct is not specified for a given command

Command Keys Default

// Activate the button in the top row, left-most position

<E>U

// Activate the button in the top row, middle position

<E>I

// Activate the button in the top row, right-most position

<E>O

// Activate the button in the middle row, left-most position

<E>J

// Activate the button in the middle row, middle position

<E>K

// Activate the button in the middle row, right-most position

<E>L

// Activate the button in the bottom row, left-most position

<E>M

<F>,

// Activate the button in the bottom row, middle position

<E>,

<F>;

// Activate the button in the bottom row, right-most position

<E>.

<F>:

When I first read the OP I thought it was a joke, then I realised that it's a wargame and 'customisable keymaps' are a feature rather than an unquestionable natural part of the product.

I happen to have version 1.0 installed (but my 2.0x installs have been removed). I see no mention of camera up down panning in the hotkeys file:

What happens when you use the up and down arrow keys?

Michael

I was looking through "CM Engine Manual v2.11.pdf" searching for something else. But page 7 says under 'arrow keys' - 'fine movement' while a bit further up the arrow keys are synonyms for 'wasd'.

Strange because it is not working like this for me.

The up arrow key pans the camera up when I use it. The down arrow key pans the camera down. Works fine for me and I have the 2.12 patch.

I've never used these before. I like to keep my left hand on the left side of the keyboard and don't see the need to move my hand over to the arrow keys when my mouse can easily pan up/down with a simple right click and move.

Sign in to follow this