Sign in to follow this  
Biggles320

Patch 2.12 Trouble in Mac.

I have just installed the 2.12 patch over 2.01 in CMBN (with CW) after which the game will not launch. The icon in my dock (MacPro) just bounces once and disappears. I reinstalled the 2.01 patch and the game works again!!! What is occurring?

Exactly the same happens in CMFI with the 1.12 patch.

Any advice welcome.

Have you tried any of the various suggestions made about checking permissions after the patches?

Right click on the app, chose get info, and see what the permissions are for the app itself that allow you to run it.

Right click on the app, choose show package contents, and then check that the permissions for all the sub folders and items in them in the package contents are the same as for the app. If not, make them the same. There are straightforward ways to change them, if this is the problem and they need changing.

Also posted in other forum in response to same thread there...

Just for comparison, I have...

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0fd5

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3688

gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

CMBN, CMFI and CMFS (all current versions) are running fine on this platform....

In fact, the latest updates have improved performance ...

So, I'm not sure what the issue could be, but if I can help in any way, please let me know... :)

Regards,

Doug

Not advice but a question: Do you even need the 2.12 patch if you don't have 2.10 that comes with MG?

Michael

Michael,

I think the answer is yes they do.

The upgrade paths with and without MG are:

v2.01 > MG v2.1 > patch v2.11 > superseded by patch v2.12

v2.01 > patch v2.11 > superseded by patch v2.12

The patches 2.11 and now 2.12 upgrade the game engine (for speed improvements, as well as in game stuff), on top of MG v2.1 supplying new units, maps etc.

You could say that those without MG need 2.12 more than those with it. At least MG gets people to 2.1; if you don't have MG and don't apply 2.12, than you are stuck at 2.01, without all that 2.1/2.11/2.12 bring.

And, if you play PBEM, most of your prospective opponents will have v2.12, and you will need it too to play them.

Thanks for the advice Phil, I think it IS something to do with permissions. Mine are very strange indeed. I have tried to make them all the same but I dont really know what I am doing. I seem to have various people who have permissions:- PJG (Me), system, Admin, Everyone and sometimes one permission will just hang at "fetching"

I am beginning to think there is something deeply wrong with the way I have set up my home folder. But then everything works up to 2.01 so it must be the permissions of the new patches. Anyway I'll keep working on it; thanks for the input everyone.

The permissions thing has happened to me before: then (though of course not necessarily the same for you, now) it was the QB map files that had the permissions oddity which needed correcting. Perhaps look there first and check those files?

If / when you find the permission discrepancy(ies), and it is individual item(s) within a folder that are wrong but the folder itself is OK, you can use the "get info" window for the folder and click on the gear wheel at the bottom and "apply to enclosed items": i.e. you can make the permissions for all files in the folder the same as the folder itself in a couple of clicks.

One other thought: when you say "the way I have set up my home folder", what exactly is your "home folder"? Is this just a phrase you use to describe it? Or are your games not in the default, "Applications", install location?

If the latter, then that may (?) be the cause of the problem. I cannot think of any good reason NOT to let the games install in the default location, and any subsequent modules or patches are more likely to be installed correctly if they are. (I start my games and H2HH etc via a dedicated separate screen in Launchpad, and so don't actually need to put the game files themselves in any specific place to find them on a regular basis.) If this applies, it may be worth reinstalling (PITA, I know!) and letting everything go to the default install locations to see if this sorts it?

All files are in there default position, i.e. Applications. All permissions are the same.

Are you still having this problem? No solution from BF themselves yet?

At the risk of taking the permissions thing TOO far, a question: you say above "All permissions are the same".

But in your post before that you said "I think it IS something to do with permissions. Mine are very strange indeed."

So, are they all the same now, after you have altered some of them? Or were they always all the same? Your two statements don't seem to tie up?

I ask only because if it is the former, and you have indeed had to change some of them, is it possible that you missed some, and it COULD still be that is the issue?

Just for info:- I have completely re-installed the whole game on another Mac with exactly the same result.

I'm probably working on your ticket if you submitted one, but just wanted to bounce in here because there's some good info going on. :)

Do both Macs have the same permissions setup? Having custom permissions (which often stems from broken permissions) on things like Home folders will definitely mess with Apple's Installer, and could make the patch not work very well.

To all concerned:- I came home after a week away from my computers and started up CMFI-Gustav and CMBN-MG and they both loaded!!! I entered my serial and now I have all games up and working!! I did absolutely nothing from my end so I have no idea how the problem was fixed ……….. but it is!

Just to clarify after reading the last few posts:- after I had fixed all my permissions the games would still not load or open. So nothing was changed from that time until this morning when I reopened my computers and games and they all worked!

The games are working on both Macs as well. Wonders will never cease ………….

Just to clarify after reading the last few posts:- after I had fixed all my permissions the games would still not load or open. So nothing was changed from that time until this morning when I reopened my computers and games and they all worked!

The games are working on both Macs as well. Wonders will never cease ………….

Glad it is now fixed for you, even if we don't know exactly how or why!

I am using a mac as well and I have found that after installing a patch or a module it is necessary to shut down my mac and then restart to get things moving.

Sign in to follow this