Creating more of a unit type

Hi,

Is there a way that will allow you to create more of a particular type of unit ?

For example when playing as the Japanese I want to have as many garrison units as possible to stop partizans in China, but are only allowed to produce a few units.

Many thanks for any help.

Hi

Yes, you can either edit the campaign in the Editor by increasing the Build Limit for that unit type, or play with Soft Build Limits. This enables you to buy more units, but the cost for that unit type increases for all those you buy above the build limit for that unit type.

Bill

Hi,

I understand that you could change the soft limit option, but is that not sort of cheating.

I was assuming that the limits are there to simulate how many units can be produced of a type for a reason.

And that being the case you would have to invest some research to increase these limits.

Many thanks.

Hi,

As Bill said, you can change the number of allowable builds in the editor.

Open the campaign and go to country data. There you click on Japan, and build unit data. There appears a screen with all numbers of units for Japan. There you can easily change the numbers.

Yes I understand how you can change it now.

But was asking if there was a way of doing it in the game by for example

increasing research in a particular area.

I do not want to just change the soft limit if it results in unbalanced game play.

Many thanks for all the responses to this question.

Clearly you think that having more units would be an advantage so that is likely to impact gameplay. However, you could consider taking another Japanese unit, such as a Corps, deleting that and replacing it with several garrison units. My rule of thumb is that 6 to 8 garrison units might be equivalent to one Corps unit in terms of troops deployed. Garrison units cannot be improved so you can work out how much offensive power your are giving up in order that you can spread your resources more thinly across the landscape.

In my view there is a somewhat unfortunate design choice in the standard scenarios whereby all unit types have pretty much the same basic combat capability across different nationalities. In reality the Chinese had far weaker units as they had virtually no artillery deployed within Divisions or Corps but they did have potentially a great deal of manpower. Thus a Japanese Corps should be able to do pretty much what it likes versus Chinese equivalent units but the Japanese did not have enough Corps to conquer the whole of China and barely enough to hold onto what they already had.

The big missing element in the standard scenario in AOD is that the Japanese had of the order of 1m low grade Chinese troops "fighting" on their side effectively as mercenaries. I put "fighting" in inverted commas as these units typically changed sides if confronted by serious opposition. Thus if you choose to reduce the number of Japanese Corps and/or army units and increase the number of garrisons that might be a better historical approximation to the real situation although you might need to retune the standard game in other ways as well e.g. reducing offensive values for Chinese units. The great strength of the SC series is the editor and the flexibility it gives you to try different options vis a vis relative unit capabilities, however, you will then need to find some human players to try your scenario out with you as the AI will have been designed to expect the standard deployments and unit capabilities.

Regards

Mike