WW1 Revisited – An Ash & Will AAR – Central Powers

Thank you all who have followed us through this Dual AAR. It has taken two months, 85 A4 pages of writing, and some 260 pictures to get here. I tend to make some attempt at a narrative through the game, and I thought it nice to conclude things with an epilogue of sorts. I hope you will all follow our next effort, whenever that may be!

The Great War – Aftermath

The road to Paris lies open. The French and British armies are in disarray. The army has done all that was asked of it under impossible conditions, and more, exceeded all expectation until victory lies within grasp.

But the people are weak. Faced with hunger, harsh working conditions and years of warfare, the news of the Betrayal of the US and the prospect of yet another enemy ends them. Under immense pressure from the Reichstag, the Kaiser is forced to abdicate and peace is sought before even one American boot has marred European soil. Austria has no choice but to follow, even though not an enemy is anywhere close to their home.

It takes time to bring the western front to order, and the fighting only stops after two more desperate weeks. By then Verdun lies in ruin, many thousands more have died in vain. While calm descends over Europe, the fighting still Rages in Egypt. Von der Marwitz, refusing orders to surrender, take up position as Sanders co-commander, formally inducting his army into the Ottoman armed forces. Cairo falls, and Egypt surrenders mere weeks before a fresh and overwhelming British-French army arrives with American support. It is all a show, as the desperate fight for Egypt is merely a false display of illusory ottoman strength, which is in reality close to completely failing. As soon as the Entente lands, peace terms are sought here as well.

The peace is a bitter one. The French, eager to salve wounded pride, argues draconic measures against Germany and Austria, the British are more concerned with the ottoman problem. Charles the Ist, after days of hard discussions and humiliation, personally declares that Austria will resume hostilities and fight to the bitter end should Frances measures be imposed upon them. Unwilling to dirty their hands with actual fighting in place of posturing, president Wilson prevails upon Georges Clemencau to exempt the Austrians, but no such accord is possible for the Germans.

The ottomans, officially standing behind the Austrian Emperor in his declaration of intent to continue the war, secretly negotiate with the British to reach a compromise. As war weary as all nations, the British finally agree under the prestigous condition of Von Der Marwitz extradition to face trial and execution, and support the co-authored solution of the Entente.

In the end, Germany is burdened with all blame for the conflict. Losing all holdings outside Germany proper, including Prussia to newly formed Poland, she bows under the weight of war reparations and restrictions. The western powers impose a provisional government in Holland, in essence a puppet democracy under the sufferance of a jointly anglo-american controlled bureaucracy. All to ensure that valuable grain and goods are sold to the west on cue and at bargain prices...

The ottomans escape with their pride intact, Egypt is released to Britain, and Basra retained by the Imperialists who also demand a protectorate in the form a single city to “monitor” Arabia, Palestine and Syria, Jerusalem. Austria is forced to relinquish Serbia, and deliver recompense for war crimes and damages. Otherwise, the ancient empire remains intact.

As the years pass, trading on boasts of having won the war nearly single handedly and “gifts” to rebuild the war-torn nations, tendrils of US influence take deep root in France and Britain.

Russia regains stability as a constitutional monarchy. As the war raged in the west, Kerensky fought for stability. Bolshevik insurgency and the chaos within the country did not aid his efforts. By the time of the western peace, aid from Finland and cunning politicking has seen an end to the uprisings. Though the former Tsar Nicholas and his wife were slain by rebels in their exile, their children survived, having been sent to foreign schools. Kerensky used Grand Duchess Anastasia Romanov as a figurehead, bringing her home where she quickly became the darling of the common man and the poster child of the monarchy. Internecine troubles between the former members of the Russian Empire and enduring troubles with Bolsheviks and civil war in the newly formed countries would keep the actual Russia disinterested in the rest of the world for more than half a century.

In Germany, deep resentment and anger builds over the years. As the republican measures imposed by the west fail to drag the country out of abject misery, many (forgetful of the past as people tend to be) yearn for the return of “the old days” when a Kaiser led the country. The “tripartite pact”, signed in 1934, is the ultimate expression of an ever closer cooperation between the enduring Ottoman and Austrian empires, and the German republic with increasing imperial ambitions. The three are united not only by ideology and preferred form of state, but by a shared distrust and anger against the west who they see as nothing but lackeys for “the upstart Americans”. Cooperation between the three create a gradual rise in wealth and production, helping Germany right its’ financial woes and giving them confidence that eventually leads to the overthrow of the republic in Germany. History repeats itself, and four years and millions dead have changed nearly nothing. Soon, a new Kaiser will rise…

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we're nearing the end of this great AAR with german NM down to 1...

Great effort for you final offensive Ash it's a clear morale victory at least huhu ^^ .

Entente is retreating everywhere !

- I disagree with you lettowvorbeck as I believe CP would have won by invading Belgium on turn 1 :) .

- I think not having french NM locations worth around 100 NM/turn for 2-3 years and more ground to defend in the West made the difference.

- Furthermore, german population would be eager for peace after four years of butchery when USA are 100% fresh. And CP couldn't have many more available men to enlist: the NM break also reflects that exhaustion of manpower.

I agree with you on several points :) Better take this to the thread we will be starting dedicated to it!

I can't believe it. It this dimension or time-line, the german "Dolchstoßlegende" came true (don't know the english term, I mean the myth, that german troops would have won WW1, but were betrayed by the politicans ;)).

Victourious in West and Middle East, you have to bow to the Entente. What a finish! Many thanks for such a thrilling AAR! Well, maybe someone can take revenge in... let's say... 20 years? ;)

I can't believe it. It this dimension or time-line, the german "Dolchstoßlegende" came true (don't know the english term, I mean the myth, that german troops would have won WW1, but were betrayed by the politicans ;)).

Victourious in West and Middle East, you have to bow to the Entente. What a finish! Many thanks for such a thrilling AAR! Well, maybe someone can take revenge in... let's say... 20 years? ;)

Thank you for following! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Great forum and credit for playing it out knowing defeat was inevitable with the games restraints! Not much to say on the point of disappointing that it is clear the Axis are on the ascending position and yet lose. This would not be a reality of WW1 and of any war in my mind. The public would recognize through all the propaganda perhaps in the past that this would be a true situation and would ride out the situation for days/weeks/months until they see otherwise.

What is seen with this PBEM is the axis would win if played out.

Great game, and terrific presentation!