WW1 Revisited – An Ash & Will AAR – Central Powers

Turn 27 – June 3rd, 1915

The western Front

27WestFront.png

The carnage escalates. The French push into Belgium, where our troops stumble back in confusion and two corps are broken. We retreat, hoping that the cover of rivers will lend some rest from the relentless Napoleonic warriors.

Von Kluck, sensing a rare opportunity with two exposed entente corps on the line, Roars “feuer frei” and is answered in a voice of thunder. The conquerors of Metz and the Luxemburg mines crumble under the onslaught of shells and measured strikes of German troops.

The German Eastern Front

27EastFront.png

Scouts report a weak position at Baranovich, and part of the advancing army shifts to strike it. Bialystok is taken after a fierce artillery barrage, and The Butcher of Galicia is taken. All of Austria rejoices as he is brought to Vienna to be court-Marshalled and executed. With this, the only Russian commander the equal of Hutier, Hindenburg and Mackensen is eliminated, and the strength on this front shifts further.

Austria, Italy, Balkans

Silence and preparation.

Near East

27NearEast.png

The ottomans move to surround the dug in rus corps in the mountains, and the Iraqui relief army starts their move south.

General Staff

Germany catches up with all losses so far, and develops heavier artillery (it took three chits to get the bastard, but there it is!).

Austria is busy re-arming.

I've been looking at the map trying to figure what I would do in Wills shoes right now. The push in the west is going very well for him, and that alone might be enough. Then again, it seems foolish not to exploit a position of extreme strength, and there are many places to do so. Will has proved disturbingly fond of amphibious invasions this game, and these avenues must be covered. Another problematic issue is the italian front, so far we have managed to hold the line here, but should the Brits appear...

The Balkans are equally troublesome. The bitter truth is that we simply do not have the forces to fight effectively everywhere. This is one place we will give up for ground and time.

I also noted British inf weapons 2 this turn (having the "h" key on shows the green numbers on the replay. Is this a bug or a feature?). That sours the sweet taste of austrian advances, and spells serious trouble to come on several fronts.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn 28 – June 3, 1916

The western Front

28WestFront.png

The western entente advanced on a broad front. Rather than strike them immediately using partially depleted and demoralized troops, Von Kluck destroyed one exposed French corps with minimal losses. Artillery was repositioned behind the lines and the new heavy guns brought in. The entente now faces the choice of attacking into the teeth of our bombardments, or to dig in. Even if they dig, they will suffer…

The British have begun to upgrade their weaponry once again. Somehow, despite all of our efforts, they remain ahead. At least they are the least part of the forces on the western front, which is somewhat encouraging.

The German Eastern Front

28EastFront.png

The East Front sees more developments. The Austrians move out of their trenches for the first time in a year, and advance their two armies upon the Russian lines. Scouting aircraft reveals thin Russian lines, and the Germans move up to pressure Kovel.

Further north, Baranovich fell and the corps trapped behind our lines destroyed. It managed to cause a minor disruption to Hindenburgs command staff, but this is a small price to destroy one corps outright.

There are whispers of traitors among us. Of sympathizers with the vile tsarites. A squadron of cavalry slipped in between all of our carefully placed garrisons and raided Koenigsberg. (In truth, I must admit to a moment of fatigue when I saw this. The ironic thing is that I actually sat and counted squares last turn and was –so- sure they could not reach. I read “in some scenarios moving across rivers cost extra movement” and assumed that it would take more than five steps to get there across three rivers. This is a valuable lesson though, never assume, always verify. It would have been easy to check it with one of my own corps movement, but sometimes in the midst of everything the mind works in strange ways. A chart with movement costs over all kinds of terrain for each scenario would be nice though. This is as much a case of negligence as of being extremely stretched everywhere. Some risks must be taken.).

Trying to see the silver lining, at the very least we will destroy one cavalry corps in low supply and recoup some of the morale lost...

Italy and the Balkans

28ItalyandBalkans.png

It looks like the Italian front is finally stabilizing. A detachment scouting towards the Centre for opportunities to disrupt communication finds the coast well guarded. The Italians are frighteningly numerous, but should have a hard time getting through entrenched corps in mountains.

In the Balkans our defensive positions are established. Now it is a matter of waiting and seeing what comes.

Near East

28NearEast.png

The peninsula is quiet with the British no doubt busy rearming. Meanwhile the ottomans find success in base mass assault tactics, driving a damaged and demoralized Russian corps out of Amamli, the city is taken.

In Iraq, the army moves into position, carefully keeping its movements concealed from the cavalry in Baghdad. We must achieve surprise and trap the enemy so that it might be quickly destroyed.

General Staff

Germans start manufacturing another battalion of heavy artillery for a total of two to arrive during 1916. Austrians rearm, relocate troops and create garrisons, as does the ottoman.

- I think you should have reoccupied Metz if possible to focus enemy artillery fire and buy some time but easier said than done. It's also true it's becoming more and more a NM game for the Kaiser.

- Pressure is high in the West and infantry lvl2 for Brits is bad news as well as more french guns it seems... That said NM gains from the East should help from now on and there is still more to be gained especially for Austria in western Ukraine.

- Now you'll have difficult decisions to think about: rush in Ukraine for the mines or break the russian army in the north, when to transfer the bulk of your troops to the West.

- Nice sneaky approach in Iraq, I hope you'll be able to seize Baghdad back quickly. It's already looking good in the Caucasus and in the Balkans I don't think you have much to fear (at worst any unit there won't be in France making trouble).

P.S.: nice and fair trial for Galicia's butcher, who lives by the sword... :P !

- I think you should have reoccupied Metz if possible to focus enemy artillery fire and buy some time but easier said than done. It's also true it's becoming more and more a NM game for the Kaiser.

- Pressure is high in the West and infantry lvl2 for Brits is bad news as well as more french guns it seems... That said NM gains from the East should help from now on and there is still more to be gained especially for Austria in western Ukraine.

- Now you'll have difficult decisions to think about: rush in Ukraine for the mines or break the russian army in the north, when to transfer the bulk of your troops to the West.

- Nice sneaky approach in Iraq, I hope you'll be able to seize Baghdad back quickly. It's already looking good in the Caucasus and in the Balkans I don't think you have much to fear (at worst any unit there won't be in France making trouble).

P.S.: nice and fair trial for Galicia's butcher, who lives by the sword... :P !

Yeah, I did really think about going Metz, but I realized that I would have lost it immediately and then the entente would have advanced and my shells would be low. Also, if I had lost even more corps in the west I dont think I could handle rebuilding them all. We'll see how it turns out, going Metz is not impossible even now, at least when the new arty shows up.

Yeah, the random number generator gods have not been kind to me this game. At least it's just the British so far. German tech is stubbornly climbing at around 4-5% per turn on average. This is with Intelligence lvl 1 up, I dont know if will has gone that route at all...

It will be interesting to see what happens in the Near East for sure!

Yeah... Russia. Let's see how that goes :)

I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone who has stuck with us so far a very, very...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

It means a lot to both Will and me to have so many views on the AAR's, that is a large part of what makes it so fun, along with spinning a narrative.

Thank you all!

Turn 29 – July 15, 1916

The western Front

29WestFront.png

In the west, the French chose to dig in, and sealed their own fate. Even half dug trenches proved no protection against the improved German guns, and both advancing corps were destroyed to fairly few losses of our own Two corps are forced to shift positions, and that is dangerous. However, the entente will again have to advance into our artillery fire to make use of the opportunity.

However, all might still be lost. Our sharp-shooters have spotted new armaments spread out among the French, they are not in wide enough use yet to be felt on the field of battle… but soon they will make even stalling impossible.

fuuuu.jpg

(sigh, research system, y u so mean?)

Eastern Front

29EastFront.png

In the east, the raiders of Koenigsberg have been badly battered, and the city will soon be reoccupied. Lines shift and reinforcements arrive, while in Galicia the Austrians carry an offensive at long last. Lemberg is once more in our hands! Russian forces in and around the Galician oil-fields are now in danger of being encircled. German forces struck Kovel, and Russian trenches prove to have little effect.

German officers are laconically taking bets at the front on how long it will take before even the Rus shows better weapons, and whether OKH will see fit to give our own such luxuries before the new year.

Italy and the Balkans

29ItalyandBalkans.png

In Italy, our somewhat impetuous scouting maneuver tempts Italians into the mountains. While this might lessen pressure on our front temporarily, it created a possible breach where a weak detachment would not be able to re-entrench. This forced an Austrian corps to force-march through the mountains to reach the city in time ahead of the advancing Italians.

images.jpg

And… artillery. Stable front? Nope. Solution? Feed men to the grinder.

In the Balkans, our cavalry in position to keep an eye on greek movements show the Belgian Hq setting up near Salonica.

Near East

The ottomans suffer the wholesale loss of another corps in the peninsula, and are looking decidedly thin. The assault on Bahdad has begun, and the cavalry there encircled but not destroyed. Dark rumors of a British commander at Basra reach Kemal Pasha.

General Staff

Austrians develop gas/shell tech 1, and germans build more artillery.

Turn 30 – July 29th, 1916

As the central powers situation grows ever more desperate, so does our measures to contain it.

The western Front

30WestFront.png

Another heavy blow by the entente destroyed a corps near Brussels, as well as the defenders of Luxemburg. The entente artillery bombardment was like a hailstorm. Faced with impossible choices and no trenchworks left in the city, Von Kluck elects to dig in deep around the city and commit only to a local retaliation as the only artillery battery on the front is further strengthened.

The counter attack succeeds in destroying the French, but only through the aid of every aerial asset at our disposal as well as heavy losses on the vanguard. The van retreats behind the lines, and new troops are brought up. With strength lacking everywhere we abandon Mulhausen for now.

Reinforcements arrive to fill gaps in the lines as other troops are railed to the critical area.

Eastern Front

30EastFront.png

As horrible the slaughter in the west, the east proves, as always, worse. The raiders of Koenigsberg are hunted down and killed nearly to a man, no prisoners taken. Previously, bold cavalry scouting of our own revealed thin lines at Minsk. The enemy moved out to strike the squadron, and Von Hutier immediately retaliates and destroys the attackers. Since the enemy lines seem very solid around Kovno, we will strike where the lines are thin…

As always, whenever the situation is tough the Rus reverts to his base instincts and runs. Austrians nearly mad with lust to avenge two years of defeat and misery surge forward. Surrounded Russians are pounded into the muddy earth, and fleeing corps caught and destroyed or badly mauled. All of Galicia recaptured in but two weeks time, many call this “Von Straussenbergs miracle”.

Von Mackensen, not to be entirely outdone, crushes the defenders of Kovel and moves forward to find Lutsk undefended.

Italy and the Balkans

30Italy.png

The successes in the east are celebrated, and the horror that is Italy is spoken of only in the highest circles of command and then in whispers. Another corps perish under French guns and Italians bullets. Von Bohm can do nothing but watch and send more men to die.

The Hq near salonica has vanished. No doubt these troops now move by sea. To where?

Near East

30NearEast.png

In the Caucasus the retreating Rus is savaged and driven further away. This operation has undoubtedly been a success, several corps are now located here, and important gains have been made. The question is now whether to keep pushing, or to redeploy most of these forces to where they are so very badly needed.

An unexpected sandstorm nearly foils the capture of Baghdad, but our massive numerical advantage carries the day as the fighting literally stumbles through the choking sands in the streets.

On the peninsula, the British have destroyed a forward detachment, and their path is now clear to Aquaba.

General Staff

Germany rebuilds losses, as does both ottoman and Austrian.

OKH finally finds solutions to enemy superiority in arms. Infantry technology reaches it’s summit, but it might be too late…

Turn 31 – August 12, 1916

31Events.png

The bulletins of the central powers speak of an ancient empire in deep distress. The hottest months of both warfare and weather are here.

The western Front

31WestFront.png

Entente forces destroy XXXVIII corps flanking Luxemburg and advance into the breach. Harrying attacks against artillery pickets disrupt firing capabilities as several pieces must be dismantled and moved out of reach. Our advanced guns must not fall into enemy hands.

Von Kluck, ever the man of caution when needed, also knows when an all-out offensive is called for. Every single corps near Luxemburg participate in breaking the Brits in the salient, and the French occupying Luxemburg lands. For the first time in two months the artillery fires its stores down to the last shell.

(In truth, I am really surprised at how resilient the Germans have been on this front despite a pretty massive disadvantage in both number of corps and arty, as well as infantry tech. It seems that careful positioning, exploitation of “killing grounds” and artillery ammunition conservation is key! Also, the lvl 2 arty on the elite piece has been a godsend, destroying enemy steps at every other shot, sometimes more! If things continue to form, next turn the entire line will break and disappear just because I said positive things here *grin*)

Eastern Front

31EastFront.png

Hindenburg and Hutier collaborates to play a dangerous game with the Rus. The massive army of Russians advanced on Hindenburgs line, and the latter abandoned the trenches and pulled back. According to our calculations, the enemy artillery should be fully stocked, and the trenches of little use in any case. Better that the Rus should have to attack on the move, and not be able to use the guns. This also serves another purpose, if we can pull the Russians further back they will be vulnerable to a counter attack by Hutier on the flank, with the new and improved weapons to boot. Will this move prove to be a dire mistake?

The Austrians continue their surge into Russian lands while Mackensen pauses to refit and rest. Another fleeing Russian corps is caught and destroyed.

Italy and the Balkans

31Italy.png

In Italy, Dankl is forced to yield ground as a defending detachment is lost.

Near East

31NearEast.png

The near east boils with activity. The British land in great force near Gallipoli, and the ottomans move to block the path. Von Sanders arrive in Adrianople by train to oversee the defenses. Entente naval forces blockade shipping in the Sea of Marmarica, and one Italian battleship is sunk.

With operations in Caucasus a success, and further gains difficult, two understrength corps out of sight of the enemy is moved backwards, slated to lend aid wherever is most needed at the time of their arrival. It is important to maintain a show of strength here to keep Russian forces in place, and the two visible ottoman corps are reinforced.

On the peninsula, the remaining two corps of the former army is withdrawn, having held long enough to allow the Germans to re-arm. These forces will likely be moved to Gallipoli by train.

The British unload artillery in Mesopotamia… dire news. (it’s nice that they get free arty and hq’s by event, they really need more stuff after all *eyeroll*)

General Staff

Germany has spent all her effort rearming and scraping up reinforcements. But nevertheless develops both more efficient decoding of telegraph messages, and increased industrial output (lvl 2 int and lvl 3 industry, both having finally reached 100%).

Austria stockpiles production to construct more artillery, and the ottomans stretch what little they have to transport troops.

Turn 32 – August 26th, 1916

The western Front

32WestFront.png

The entente broke through the perimeter at Luxemburg once again, striking at convoys of redeploying artillery. Many valuable pieces were destroyed. Von Kluck continues the all out offensive unabated through a complex series of attacks and redeployments, sending reinforcements to the very front as the attackers are whittled down. Two more entente corps are destroyed. Preliminary aerial recon by airship confirm something initial reports hinted at the past two weeks, the entente lines are looking unexpectedly threadbare. Armed with this knowledge, and realizing the gaps in enemy lines to be exploited, Prince Rupperecht coordinated an assault with Von Klucks army to hit the entente offensive at its heart, the artillery. While the two attacking corps have already received medals of valour in anticipation of their demise, this action might force the entente to withdraw the guns from the front line, allowing the beleaguered Germans valuable time to regroup and stabilize their position. Newly reconstituted corps arrive along the lines, shoring up weak points.

The German Eastern Front

32EastFront.png

The Rus took the bait. Hook, line and sinker. Their assault into Germans ensconced within woodlands caused serious damage to both IX corps and I Reserve Corps, but the Russians suffered equally. The German flanking strike, along with counter attacks by Hindenburg, destroyed two Russian corps in turn. Von Mackensens troops force marched to join Hutier, forming a valuable second line of attack should the Russians decide to try an attack on Baranovich from Minsk.

The question now is, whose trap has sprung? Do the Russians have uncounted reinforcements hidden behind the lines?

Austria

32Austria.png

The Austrians continue onwards into Russian lands left empty. At last, forward scouts report enemy lines near Kiev. This, then, is where the enemy has elected to make his stand. Lesser Russian towns along the way seem to have been left empty…

Italy

Nothing to report. The Italians shift around, no doubt preparing for another offensive.

Near East

32NearEast.png

The British Assault Gallipoli in strength, badly mauling the defending detachment. Von Sanders begin directing his arriving troops to encircle the town, aiming to create a bottleneck. The question is, will he manage to close the ring of iron around the city in time?

General Staff

OKH, inspired by reports of a French ironclad monstrosity, start investigating options of their own (1 chit in armor warfare). One destroyed corps begins reconstruction, and rearming and reinforcements along the line take the better part of our industrial output.

Austria starts building an entire battalion of artillery, and start trying to modify their construction efforts to handle larger calibers of gun… (1 chit in heavy artillery).

The ottmans once again spend most of their efforts moving troops to the line.

Turn 33 – September 9th, 1916

33Events.png

A truly dark two weeks to stand out in a war that has been little but the same. Von Falkenhayn, facing allegations of incompetence and passivity due to the slow retreat and cautious approach on the western front retires into obscurity and is replaced by the ever popular Von Hindenburg. No less than five German corps, a strengthened army, is counted dead on the combined fronts. The worst tally of the war so far. To make matters far worse, the capture of Gallipoli has swayed the Romanians to enter the war, and has cost Austria valuable grain imports. This comes at an extremely inopportune moment.

(Gah… neither strategy guide nor in-game strategy tip mentioned anything about Romania jumping 30-40% towards the entente when Gallipoli falls (they were at 63%), that information would have prompted a more serious garrison in the area. Romania joining is very, very bad and I took all the steps I could from the start of the game to prevent that from happening. Oh well. There goes my plan to get the more nm for germany after the fall of Russia...).

The western Front

33WestFront.png

In the west, the French “metal monster” arrives at the front, assisting several French formations in crushing the forward corps that earns its’ pre-mortem medals of valor. British Artillery is withdrawn, but French guns stay at the front to shell the second forward corps into destruction under more french assaults. More of the same is had near Brussels. Seeing the exploit of French breaches yield one more opportunity, Von Kluck strikes again through the lines to overrun and destroy the French artillery! Occupiers of Luxemburgs mines and French troops near Brussels feel our wrath. The first of several new artillery batteries arrive at the western front.

The German Eastern Front

33EastFront.png

Russian National Morale now 14,200, a decline of 1000 from last turn. Question is if the Romanian bonus NM have kicked in yet...

The Russian counter attack was much fiercer than expected. Leaving a german corps exposed on the wrong side of the river and in poor supply was a mistake justly punished, and another corps fall on the line near Hindenburg. In return, German forces manage to destroy an advanced Russian corps near Minsk, and severely maul the rus line near Grodno. Von Mackensen arrives at the front by train.

Austria

33Austria.png

Von Straussenberg continues the deep incursion into Ukraine with zest, and reacts to the Romanians entering the war by diverting an understrength army to maul a border corps and drive it out of Jassy.

A deep Russian line occupies the approach to Kiev, and Piotrek now rests and awaits reinforcements and proper artillery placement.

Italy

Another few weeks. Another corps lost.

Near East

33NearEast.png

The Detachment garrisoning Galippoli could not hold under the weight of the entente assault, and abandoned the city. Von sanders court marshals the division commander and executes him on the spot, while moving arriving corps to surround the position on all sides.

In the peninsula, the British now strike Aquaba directly. It yet holds, but not for long.

General Staff

OKH is stunned by massive losses, and attempts to catch up while re-arming and reinforcing formations in the field. Austrians rebuild the corps lost to the Italians, and ottmans also start rebuilding a corps.

Advice Corner

I'm in great need of some information just about now. The Romania situation is a terrible blow, giving the Russians 2500 morale and costing the austrians 50 per turn.

Regarding Russia, a major decision is on the horizon. Sending Lenin will cause Russia to collapse earlier, but will also cost the CP valuable NM gains both in the interim and due to the effects of the event itself. What is really interesting is what the different kinds of peace will mean;

1) "Treaty of Brest Litovsk": What exactly happens here? Germany gains 300mpp (negligible). What will germany gain in the form of lands? The same as if Russia collapses without the revolution, or different?

2) Will I still be able to send Von Der goltz to finland if I do not send lenin to Russia? How many mpps is this per turn around and abouts?

3) Will grain supplies from Ukraine (event) be available both if I send lenin and enact the treaty of Brest Litovsk, and if I collapse Russia the "normal" way?

4) The treaty of Bucharest, is this event still available if I conquer Romania before the fall of Russia?

Hi :) ,

I've added the events text from the manual to help discuss things:

DE 619 - Germany: Send Lenin to Russia?

- Event fires: Automatically on or after the 1st August 1914 when Berlin is in Central Powers hands, Germany is aligned with the Central Powers and fully mobilized, Russia is aligned with the Entente and fully mobilized but with her National Morale having fallen below 25%.

- Cost of accepting: 25MPPs.

- Yes: Lenin is sent to Russia where his Bolsheviks will agitate for peace. The effect of this will be to lower Russian National Morale and once this is below 10% the Bolsheviks will stage a coup. With the Bolsheviks in power Russian National Morale will continue to decline, but Bolshevik attitudes opposing the war will spread first to Central Powers units in Russia and then into the rest of Europe. This will ultimately lower German and Austro-Hungarian National Morale.

- No: The Bolshevik agitation for peace in Russia will still occur but it will have less effect on Russian National Morale. In the event that Russia’s National Morale falls below 1% then she will surrender and many new countries will form as the Tsar’s Empire collapses. Germany with gain Russian Poland and all the Central Powers will receive a boost to their National Morale.

Sending Lenin and then accepting the Treaty is mostly if you need eastern troops to the West quickly. If you can't achieve victory with those reinforcements maybe it's better to say no and take what you can from Russia (MPPs / NM) but maybe Entente will force that choice for you.

DE 620 - Germany: Sign The Brest-Litovsk Treaty with Russia?

- Event fires: Automatically on or after the 1st August 1914 when Berlin is in Central Powers hands, Germany is aligned with the Central Powers and fully mobilized, Russia is aligned with the Entente and fully mobilized but having undergone a Bolshevik Revolution after Lenin was sent to Russia in DE 619 and with her National Morale having fallen below 10%.

- Cost of accepting: Germany receives 300MPPs.

- Yes: Russia withdraws from the war and Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia and the Ukraine will all become independent neutral states.

- No: Russia will stay in the war until its National Morale has fallen below 1%

- Note: Bolshevik agitation will continue to affect German and Austro-Hungarian unit morale irrespective of the decision made here.

Not sure but it looks like the neutrals will still form when Russia collapses even if you say no. It's just a matter of immediate profit vs squeezing more MPPs / NM from Russia.

DE 622 - Germany: Send von der Goltz to Finland?

- Event fires: After the First Russian Revolution when Germany is aligned with the Central Powers and fully mobilized, Finland is aligned with the Entente but not fully mobilized, and Berlin is under German control.

- Cost of accepting: 75 MPPs.

- Yes: Finland will swing towards the Central Powers to represent a White victory there, and this will create a convoy to Germany.

- No: Finland will swing towards the Entente to represent the weakening of White forces there.

Here the key I think is Finland can be neutral depending on your decisions before. In that case it seems you won't be able to get the convoy ?

On the other hand you also have those events to think about that will help Germany:

DE 624 - Germany: Spend MPPs to Boost our National Morale?

- Event fires: Whenever German National Morale falls below 50%.

- Cost of accepting: 25MPPs a turn.

- Yes: German National Morale will receive a boost of 50 points a turn.

- No: Nothing, apart from being presented with a similar opportunity should National Morale fall to 25%.

DE 625 - Germany: Grain Supplies From The Ukraine

- Event fires: Automatically when Berlin is in Central Powers hands, Germany is aligned with the Central Powers and fully mobilized, and the Ukraine is aligned with the Central Powers but not fully mobilized.

- Germany receives 50 MPPs per turn representing food supplies from the Ukraine, and 100 National Morale points.

- Note that these MPPs will automatically cease if the Ukraine joins the Central Powers, because Germany would automatically benefit from the Ukrainian economy anyway, or if the Ukraine swings to the Entente.

- About Romania I think the event means you're presented with a chance to collapse the country and squeeze NM/MPPs out of it when Russia can't support it anymore.

- So it probably won't be available since you'll benefit from captured romanian ressources after conquering it !

DE 629 - Germany: Sign the Treaty of Bucharest?

- Event fires: When Austria-Hungary is in the war, Russia has withdrawn from the war, and Romania is in the war on the Entente side.

- Cost of accepting: Nothing.

- Yes: Romania will leave the war. Germany will receive 20 MPPs and 50 National Morale points per turn, providing Romania remains neutral and Austria-Hungary is still in the war. Bulgaria will receive some Romanian territory.

- No: Romania will remain in the war and will need to be conquered.

Been a bit absent due to holidays, and I must admit my will to fight took a serious blow with the unexpected and sudden entry of Romania. Still, lets do with it what we can. I see several ambiguous issues with the events as written out here.

First, according to DE619-620, it seems that the choice is between a quicker end, but a loss in NM, and a longer fight, but an NM boost. "Germany gains russian poland" is only listed under "no", so should we assume that germany doesnt get any land at all if "yes"? De 620 doesnt really answer this question, as it only lists Finland, Lithuania, Estonia and the Ukraine. Nothing about german land gains, whether or not the treaty is signed (as you would have had to say "yes" to DE619).

It is equally unclear what is meant by "russian revolution" in DE622, does this refer to having sent lenin and the coup being staged, or siply the "agitation" that will go on regardless? Finland is part of Russia, and DE 620 states that "Finland... // ... become independent neutral states". The requirement of the event that Finland be entente aligned seems odd... or does it go entente aligned with the total collapse of Russia when you dont sign the treaty?

Sam thing with DE625, when is Ukraine central powers aligned after the collapse of Russia?

No nm from Romania then... isnt it a bit odd that Romania is worth zero nm when conquered all out, but 50 if it surrenders the "easy" way?

Turn 34 – September 23rd, 1916

34Events.png

Well. Bad can always get worse. Aquabas fall was expected, but further Romanian reinforcements and above all successful entente diplomacy on Holland was not. With every single chit available to the Central Powers invested in that venture, this proves without a doubt that the loss of the Dutch grain supplies and starvation is inevitable.

Russian forces have increased from 37 at turn 32 with two lost that turn. 44 at turn with one further loss and now at turn 33, 46 land units. Assuming that at least two of these newcomers are Russian corps, that would put the Romanians at ten land units or so.

The western Front

34WestFront.png

French pressure on Belgium prompted Hindenburg to withdra from the area entirely, out of range of French guns. This should allow us to redeploy our own artillery to protect a shorter line.

A French corps slipping behind the lines near Brussels is destroyed as it savages the Belgian lines headquarters.

Another corps falls near Metz.

Our hope is that the French have been weakened enough to forestall any other larger push before winter.

The German Eastern Front

34EastFront.png

In the East, Hindenburg, Hutier and Mackensen emerge ahead in the maneuver warfare for now. By keeping a careful eye on the Russian withdrawal, Hutier sends a cavalry squadron to destroy a weak Russian corps, and the newly arrived Mackensen coordinates to destroy another forward corps. Hindenburg, seeking to explore the weak flank at Kovno, finds another corps and crushed it without losses. Near Baranovich, Hutier receives significant reinforcements for a push at Minsk.

Austria

34Austria.png

Our window of opportunity comes to an end with the realization of Romanian strength. Troops redeploy southwards to attempt to deal with the issue, at the very least the Austrians enjoy artillery support which should help.

Bulgarians withdraw from their positions in the Balkans to occupy key cities, while freeing up a corps to protect Bulgaria proper. Cavalry moves out of sight to keep an eye on the Romanian capital should they grow careless and leave it undefended as they push forward.

Near East

34NearEast.png

Von sanders fail to close the ring around the advancing Entente forces with one Corps pushed off. Another corps arrive by train, reinforcements are sent, and a paranoia leads to several coastal garrisons as an entente formation is spotted on landing craft at sea.

General Staff

Reinforcements, more reinforcements. More men to the grinder.

Hi Ashes Fall

First, according to DE619-620, it seems that the choice is between a quicker end, but a loss in NM, and a longer fight, but an NM boost. "Germany gains russian poland" is only listed under "no", so should we assume that germany doesnt get any land at all if "yes"? De 620 doesnt really answer this question, as it only lists Finland, Lithuania, Estonia and the Ukraine. Nothing about german land gains, whether or not the treaty is signed (as you would have had to say "yes" to DE619).
Germany gains Russian Poland from either signing the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk or if Russia's National Morale falls below 1%.

In the guide, it looks as though the comments in the "No" section for Decision 619 referring to new territories and annexations also need to be placed elsewhere, as they are what will happen either through signing the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk or if Russia's National Morale falls below 1%. Signing the Treaty will make these happen sooner, but they may still happen even if no treaty is signed.

It is equally unclear what is meant by "russian revolution" in DE622, does this refer to having sent lenin and the coup being staged, or siply the "agitation" that will go on regardless? Finland is part of Russia, and DE 620 states that "Finland... // ... become independent neutral states". The requirement of the event that Finland be entente aligned seems odd... or does it go entente aligned with the total collapse of Russia when you dont sign the treaty?
DE 622 refers to the First Russian Revolution, i.e. the fall of the Tsar and Kerensky's rise to power. This event is a trigger for the Lenin decision, so is not dependent on it.

Finland faced a civil war between its strong workers movement and the more conservative forces under Mannerheim, and if the Finnish Reds are beaten then the country will swing to a political stance favourable to the Central Powers and provide trade. Thus the pro-Entente leaning mentioned is automatic when the country gains independence, and is what needs to be affected to obtain the defeat of the Red forces, victory for Mannerheim, and trade with Germany, and sending von der Goltz which achieve this.

Sam thing with DE625, when is Ukraine central powers aligned after the collapse of Russia?
The Ukraine gains its independence from Russia if either the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk is signed, or if Russia's National Morale falls below 1%.

On gaining its independence, it will immediately attain an alignment of 60% towards the Central Powers, but it will only retain this if five German units are kept within a few tiles of Warsaw. These units represent those stationed in the east to maintain grain supplies from the Ukraine and keep the Bolsheviks and others at bay.

No nm from Romania then... isnt it a bit odd that Romania is worth zero nm when conquered all out, but 50 if it surrenders the "easy" way?
The NM represents food exports, whereas conquering the country would disrupt food production and trigger economic problems. Having Romania as neutral and unconquered gives them the ability to supply food, which is why the peaceful way may be the better one! :)

Bill

Thanks for the details Bill,

- Nice to have more understanding of the late events :) . WWI truly is a great game with a lot underneath, it has a diplomatic side WWII doesn't have (much) !

- Game: uh oh the fall of Gallipolli was the start of a chain reaction it seems... With Turks still at infantry 1 it's another meat grinder in the making.

- In the West the lack of unit to rotate and upgrade frontline troops is hurting you badly. Seeing Luxembourg mines at 8 supply 24 MPPs just in the no man's land must be a torture :D .

- The good thing is prussian and austrian NM stopped to fall while France is going down but there is still a 30 points difference ! You probably won't delay offensive in Belgium ever again...

- Russia is at 30 something, will it crumble quickly enough to ensure a final showdown in the West ? I hope so !

Turn 35 – October 21st, 1916

Thank you for the input Bill, much appreciated! That certainly makes things clearer in the decision making department. On an unrelated note it seems that photobucket is screaming about exeeded bandwidth, so until it resets the images from there will not be displayed. I've switched to Imageshack for a while to ease the burden on my photobucket account. On a very positive note, it means my pictures are getting shown a lot! yay!

The western Front

h6sw.png

Quiet on the west front. A welcome respite. Von Kluck takes the opportunity to shift troops and refit, deploying new reinforcements. OKH deliberates an assault on Metz, but our ottoman allies are in dire straits, and need the support better…

The German Eastern Front

2p9f.png

The scout cavalry shifts from Vilna over to the Minsk area, spotting a lone corps behind the city and that itself weakly garrisoned. Hutier pounces immediately, encircling the city and destroying the isolated corps. It will fall next turn. We will do our utmost to capture our goal of 1916 before years end, Minsk, Vilna, Kovno. Provided a successful assault by Hutier, Mackensen now moves his army towards vilna to ready an attack immediately. Hindenburg keeps moving, outflanking Kovno further and destroying Kornilovs command post. The man himself is believed escaped into the wilderness, where he might be lost to the world forever. There is a possibility for a complete encirclement of the forces present here, which would be a great boon.

Austria and the Balkans

8a70.png

Bulgarian forces continue to maneuver to fins weakness in the Romanian defenses. They find none… Romanians seem to be everywhere. The Austrians stabilize the lines, awaiting artillery. Action on the peninsula, the Belgians landed near Adrianople, striking at von sanders headquarters. The man remained with ice in his veins, ordering forces to attack a weakened Belgian corps in the “killing fields”. It is apparent that the Entente has underestimated the ottoman will to fight. It is our hope that the Belgians near Adrianople will lack all kinds of supply and thus be relatively harmless. German artillery arrives, as it has been noted that the ottomans only true fighting chance in open combat due to their technical retardation is with heavy artillery support.

Near East

v8le.png

In the heart of the near east an extremely difficult situation is developing. The british are slowly outflanking the german defensive line and moving towards the weak desert cities. This must be a later issue, and we can only watch as things progress. At the very least, german forces here has bought critical time for the ottomans to deal with other threats. The question is whether it will be enough time.

In Mesopotamia the Army continues to move after beng marooned at Kut at amara during a vicious sand storm. They find less opposition than expected, the brits have probably dug in around Basra. We hope to destroy the artillery here at the very least and then turn west to deal with the British there.

General Staff

The only significant development is a breakthrough in trench warfare, which the Germans have now mastered to perfection (lvl 5).

Thanks for the details Bill,

- Nice to have more understanding of the late events :) . WWI truly is a great game with a lot underneath, it has a diplomatic side WWII doesn't have (much) !

- Game: uh oh the fall of Gallipolli was the start of a chain reaction it seems... With Turks still at infantry 1 it's another meat grinder in the making.

- In the West the lack of unit to rotate and upgrade frontline troops is hurting you badly. Seeing Luxembourg mines at 8 supply 24 MPPs just in the no man's land must be a torture :D .

- The good thing is prussian and austrian NM stopped to fall while France is going down but there is still a 30 points difference ! You probably won't delay offensive in Belgium ever again...

- Russia is at 30 something, will it crumble quickly enough to ensure a final showdown in the West ? I hope so !

Yeah... I really wish I had known the effects of Gallipoli falling. Both ottoman and austrian infantry weapons have been in the works for a long time and are crawling up really, really slowly. Hoping for a breakthrough before it reaches 100%.

The west has been nerve wracking for sure, but not as bad as it could have been.

The game does sort of make French attacks mandatory. I´ll definitely not make the mistake to not attack at least a little again.

I´ll do my absolute best to make the game interesting to the end, the bitter fight for russia is on. :) Thanks for following!

Turn 36 – November 18th, 1916

And we’re back! Fittingly, we go straight into mad mayhem.

The western Front

36WestFront.png

Von Kluck confers with Hindenburg over telegraph, and one fact is clear. The western entente must be prevented from establishing a firm line on what used to be the border of france and Germany, and is now simply a wasteland full with graves.

True to form, the entente advance, likely encouraged by the appearance of German artillery in the near east. They are taught their folly the harsh way, as two of three advancing corps are destroyed or beaten back.

Near Namur, another French corps is attacked and driven out of the line, exposing the artillery. Unfortunately, our advancing corps tasked to strike the weapons discover them strong and ready, and are brutally beaten back and exposed with minimal success in their mission. OKH notes, with some concern, that the allied armored barrels seem to be getting more advanced.

Eastern Front

36EastFront.png

Russian NM now at some 11,066

The skeleton force holding Minsk was ground to dust by furious artillery and German strength. Hutier surges on towards Vilna, and cavalry cuts behind the Russians in an attempt to cut the last rail connection into the emerging pocket. Unfortunately it is guarded, but not well…

Hindenburg, living up to his legend of maneuver, continues to outflank Kovno, destroying the corps holding the picket to Russian artillery and headquarters, Ruszkis command post is struck in favor of the artillery in order to disrupt Russian lines of supply and communication. Despite our successes however, morale among the troops is dangerously low, and the Russians seem to be in good spirits. That is bound to change…

Von Bohm is hastily brought by train from the Italian front to oversee redeployment of the German artillery near Minsk after Hutier in his haste neglected the supply lines and would have made quick deployment towards Vilna impossible (herp derp…)

Von Straussenberg continues to gather his forces around the Romanian border, as Bulgarians mass near Craiova. Scouts report that the Romanians have artillery, to Austrian dismay.

The line against Kiev is thin but holding as the Rus seems disinterested in attacking here, and a roving Russian detachment fences with a low strength Austrian corps on the open Russian countryside.

Italy

36Italy.png

Sneaky Italian designs are revealed as a strong and well equipped army emerges near Tilsi. That city will fall, hopefully winter and resistance will allow freshly deployed German troops to form a Barrier at Innsbruck that the Italians will find hard to overcome.

Near East

36NearEast-Gallipoli.png

In the Near East the fighting is the hottest. Von Sanders calm in the face of an entire corps on his doorstep proves justified, as the Belgians barely engage his outer pickets.

A storm of artillery shells from the newly arrived German guns whittle down the British defenders, both in number and will. When the best part of the ottoman home defense army attack, they crumble and fall. Two British corps now remain at fighting strength around Gallipoli.

36-NearEast.png

German command near the Peninsula has kept a close eye on the British presence in the region. To best of OKH’s knowledge, the British field some five or six corps. When three of these, and sightings of a British headquarters far in the desert are confirmed near Maan, the German commander senses a rare opportunity to go on the offensive. What began as a “show of force” to perhaps scare the British into withdrawing, turns into an all out assault as it becomes clear that the British corps directly in front of artillery and command is not entrenched. The surprised Brits are beaten, with surprisingly few losses. It is evident that the Brits are not used to fighting real opposition, fat and lazy from swatting the hapless sick man in the east. With this development, the British may have to turn back to defend the peninsula, buying the Ottomans more time.

As the Germans move, it becomes clear that ottoman production capacity cannot keep up with demand, and Maan is abandoned by the battered defenders, to be replaced with the previous Garrison of Amman. New garrisons are brought in by train throughout the region.

The assault also begins on Quarna, and though losses on the British side are light, the defensive works around the city are all but gone.

General Staff

Nothing interesting, the Germans are nearly caught up with the losses of 1916.

Welcome back too :) ,

Looks like situation is stabilizing on all fronts with some noticeable victories in the East despite relative failures in the West. French morale is still way too high but the shortened front and counterattack stance will help increase their casualties and morale losses.

Damn Romanians stealing french and russian guns :P !

Turn 37 – December 16th, 1916

dyss.png

As Russia faces defeat after defeat, the base instincts of the Rus take over at the highest levels. Infighting and strife shake the rule of the Tzar, and he abdicates in favor of Karinzky. This has the altogether unwelcome effect of strengthening Russias will to fight, for a time…

The Western Front

71mr.png

On the western front, Von Kluck undertakes the complicated Jigsaw involved in Strengthening the front line and distributing the latest arms and training to the men. Kluck has one reason for celebration however, despite being entirely unable to drive the Entente from the line in front of Luxemburg. For the first time in years, the Central Powers match the Entente artillery in the west.

Eastern Front

hd2l.png

In the East, The “Kaisers three musketeers” of as they are now called grimly fights a desperate battle against time, trying to topple the Russian house of cards. The three are forced to recklessness, sending their armies deep and unsupported by proper supply lines to cut any retreat the Rus may undertake from the Kovno-Vilna hexenkessel. German forces pierce the lines and hunt the Arch villain Brusilov on his flight towards Dvinsk. German forces here take care not to shatter the enemy too quickly, lest some of their number escape. News of complete victory over the armies here is needed to bolster morale.

Von Straussenburg has put a plan before AoK. In all secrecy, an army has gathered around Kronstads, carefully kept out of sight of Romanian forces. Coordination by telegraph has Bohm-Ermolli marshalling forces to strike at Ploesti, and if possible cut the Romanian border army off from the capital. To maintain the illusion, Straussenburg himself digs in and makes a large show of settling his forces, and the Bulgarians pause and refit as well. The strike, when it comes, aims to fall from all directions and with devastating effect.

Italy

The Italians take Trento, and a German corps take up positions to defend the important city here while the remains of the Austrian detachment attempts to retreat to safety.

Near East

e2wh.png

Von Sanders sends the most intact corps to close the ring around Gallipoli, directing artillery to follow and organizing vast stores of shells and surplus guns to the battery. The crafty commander knows his troops cannot hope to combat the British on equal terms, and will bring artillery to bear on the enemy at every opportunity.

hhuo.png

The German foray almost ends in disaster, as the British counter attack is devastating, and sends the small expedition army reeling. A retreat back to the line is called, and while this was not the success OKH hoped for, the British are still down a corps while the Germans remain. The British faces significantly more difficulties in bringing new troops. A complicated lattice of transportation and replacements shuttle up and down “the spine” ok the Dakkar, Amman, Maan axis. Every month that these cities are kept out of British hands buys time.

The Desert Pasha continues advancing on Basra, but takes unexpectedly heavy losses in pursuing the fleeing British corps. We worry that our weakest link will shortly be lost to the strong and well equipped invader.

General Staff

Significant developments, as Germany reaches the peak of her industrial strength (lvl 4) and Austria finally adapts mobile chassi to the new, heavier guns (artillery lvl 2). There is still cause for concern, as more and more of our industrial capacity is diverted towards keeping morale stable.

Lenin, a dangerous and subversive traitor with illusions of Grandeur has been apprehended in Germany. His ideas are too dangerous to entertain, and the man has been quietly executed out of the public eye.

The beleaguered central powers also find new allies in the recently liberated Finland, as Von Der Goltz arrives from Germany to aid Mannerheim in crushing the Bolsheviks.