New file at the Repository: GL Welcome to Sicily.zip (2013-11-21)

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, thanks to Frankster65 and Buzz :)

@ jkobmadrid:

Come on...you are calling the "Santa Maria" Mission seriously a "headache mission"? I cannot believe your words...this mission shouldn´t be a problem for any CM-player, who has the experience of about 1-2 missions against the AI...

Don´t forget, you are fighting against some second rate Italians :)

It would be interesting to hear the opinion of other players but usually the feedback in this forum tends towards nothing...

The first user-made campaign for GL up to now, some months after release --- 131 downloads so long --- three forum-comments --- one repository-comment --- two 5-stars ratings (the third 5-stars rating was placed by myself, I confess :) )...

One must be a real masochist to invest his free time in keeping alive this great game ;)

That´s my impression, too. The usual comment, many designers get, sounds like that: " Your campaign/scenario is not fun, because I wasn´t able to get a total victory with my first attempt...." or " the scenario xy is not fun, because I didn´t get a total victory after saving/reloading 500000000 times..." or somethings like: "Although CM is a realistic simulation, I don´t want to play realistic scenarios, because I always want to feel like a winner...." :)

First of all, thanks to Frankster65 and Buzz :)

@ jkobmadrid:

Come on...you are calling the "Santa Maria" Mission seriously a "headache mission"? I cannot believe your words...this mission shouldn´t be a problem for any CM-player, who has the experience of about 1-2 missions against the AI...

Don´t forget, you are fighting against some second rate Italians :)

It would be interesting to hear the opinion of other players but usually the feedback in this forum tends towards nothing...

The first user-made campaign for GL up to now, some months after release --- 131 downloads so long --- three forum-comments --- one repository-comment --- two 5-stars ratings (the third 5-stars rating was placed by myself, I confess :) )...

One must be a real masochist to invest his free time in keeping alive this great game ;)

hey, come on. i take my hat off for everyone creating a scenario. really.

i know how hard it is. so, way to go Mr.X.

and yes it's 2nd rate spagetti soldiers, but...

i just that i hate close quarter combat. and CM doesn't simulate them very well, but this is another discussion.

anyway, the second one is great. but Mr.X, ***spoiler*** did you have to mine everything up? ;)

i know you're were gigeling when you placed them.

• 2 weeks later...

@jkobmadrid:

It wasn´t me ;) there were some German Engineers in the area and I couldn´t stop them, placing their toys :)

By ending the last Mission so early, you have missed some really really heavy Crackers, which had helped you to reduce your anger about the mines :)

Regards

Frank

I find my biggest mistake with scenarios that are designed so that one has to do recon at the start is that I try to accomplish objectives with my "at start" forces instead of waiting for reinforcements and the "big guns".

I never seem to learn that one has to have patience in these CM2 games. Of course it tends to mean that one spends the first 2/3 of the game sneaking around and observing (and staying alive) and then a massive crushing assault in the final 1/3 of the game. However, I really enjoy these types of scenarios, so looking forward to the rest of the campaign.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a great campaign. Only on mission 3 so far, and it's a toughy. But the first two were such nail biters. Hopping between dunes on the first left a pucker or two. Especially having to try and sneak past defences to get to the MG bunkers. Very good. Mission 2 was excellent as well. Trying to find ways to pin down those cars with the big gun was very trying. Like the campaign brief said though, there is lots of time.

My only complaint is that the victory factors seem off. While it was a total victory on the second mission, the first mission ended in a draw for some reason. I held all of the victory points, had HQ's in the green boxes, and no Italians left save for that small villa west of the airport. Considering there were only fifty Italians left and they were nowhere near any VP's, it made me confuzzled about the DRAW.

Otherwise though, I love these missions and I can only hope you make more. Keep up the great work

Thanks for your comments ;) I am glad, if you have some fun with the campaign.

@ sigop22: I am confused, too - normally you should get at least a victory, if you have captured the v-zones + killed most of the Italians...even, if you have got high own casualties...strange result...

@Jack Ration:

Normally, there should be no problem with the FO to call in the naval support. But during the first and the third Mission, you will get the battleship-artillery as reinforcement - so, your FO has to be patient until he is free to destroy the nice Sicilian Landscape ;)

Regards

Frank

• 2 weeks later...