Scenario design question - making the AI counter-attack

For the last 40 years or so, I've been working on a CMFI-GL scenario - it's kind of my life's work.

What should happen is that:

1- side A attacks

2- side B get some reinforcements, quite a way off, which should either counter-attack or relieve side B (depending how much progress side A has made)

I thought I had set these forces up in the AI editor to counter-attack. I selected those units, and gave them an objective (in the AI-plan section, painted the objective on the map).

But they're just milling about on the edge of the map. Are there any gotchas I'm missing...?

Double check the Start Before and Start After times in the bottom left. You have to assign a time for AI groups to move to new parts of the map. So you can't order a counter-attack as such, have to time and test it right so it will feel like a counter-attack for the player on the other side.

And sorry to be a pest.

Advance is a reasonable general purpose attack order? Or should I go with Assault/Max Assault?

In my experience, you should try to use Assault and Max Assault only for very short distances, right at the final approach to the ultimate objective. The AI moves very slowly while using Assault orders, usually too slowly for long distances. Advance is a good compromise when they need to attack a long distance IMO.

In the unit editor, I have R2, U2 and A2 etc

R is reinforcements

A is AI plan?

U is unit objective...???

A is AI Group, not AI plan. All units will start in default group A1, and then as you add them to different groups the number will change to A2, A3, etc up to A16 (there are 16 AI groups). There is no AI plan designation assigned to the units themselves. The only way to know what AI plan you are working on is to see which one is selected in the UI over on the upper left side of the screen.

hey Freyberg,

Did you read that part 16 article? I think he answers most of your questions but not all. Go to the thread and look at other parts and maybe it will cover the other issues you are having.

Are you using a notebook and pencil? I find it very useful to chart and tabulate things and

then make notes as you scenario test with a little check the block to make sure you do go back and rectify a goof-up you see.

40 years in the making....wow.

Please give some hints on the scenario details! Historical?

• 2 weeks later...

Still no hints?

It's just a hypothetical scenario supposedly set around Monte Cassino, featuring New Zealanders (naturally). The AI stuff is just window-dressing. The main feature is quite a difficult entrenched German position, supported on its flanks. Still testing, but even knowing all about it, I've found it quite a challenging attack on the NZer's part.

It should play OK - I did a number of scenarios in the CMx1 days, and they weren't all completely terrible.