Sign in to follow this  
dominick

Forum tech help needed

A member of the Battlefront support team refused to give me step by step instructions to resolve a problem after exchanging two dozen emails to hopefully get my game working. Therefore, I am appealing to anyone on this forum who can do this, as the instructions given are unclear to me.

The attachments (step 1 and step 2) show how far I got in the instructions, which was sent to support, and responded to by "Martin" writing: The path to the game installation folder is where you installed the game (for example: c:\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission\). Use the Windows Explorer if you need to locate it." The email following by someone else? told me to get tech support elsewhere because they did not have the ability to make the instructions any more easier for me to follow.

However, the instructions in the knowledge base state:"This will let you see the Windows PATH environment variable. You need to add the absolute path to the CMBN game folder at the very beginning. This should force Windows to look for the qt libraries there first, and avoid the failure (qt error message) you are seeing." The absolute path? at the very beginning of what?

I assume? that "path" should be highlighted in the bottom window of the environmental variables, but there are two choices in the top window. If I click on the new button in the bottom window or the top window, I get two additional choices to enter "variable name" and "variable value". Therefore which of the two lines in the top window and/ or bottom window do I open with the new button and do I enter the same thing in each window?

In sum, I am hoping that one of you tech savvy forum members can explain to me which of the half dozen choices I need to make to follow these "simple" instructions.

post-25777-141867625085_thumb.jpg

post-25777-141867625087_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry that you're frustrated by all this technical stuff, but you have to accept that a certain level of technical proficiency is required to use Windows and the software that runs on it. Basic instructions on how to use Windows are not our responsibility any more than it is Microsoft's responsibility to teach people how to use our products.

Having said that, there is a more practical reason why you got the response you received. It is simply not possible to give you a specific path which is relevant to your personal system. That's because it is different for each person depending on various things you, as an individual, do and the OS version you're using.

Nobody refused to help you, as evidenced by the dozen emails you exchanged with us. Please do not mischaracterize our support. It's not helpful to anybody.

Steve

"My instructions, as well as the website link I gave you, are as simple as it gets, and I cannot really improve them." to quote from one of your support staff emails... is this not a mischaracterization of at least the directions provided? Otherwise, I would say that your support staff has been patient and courteous over the past three weeks - even offering to refund my purchase.

Just wondering that since this knowledgebase article was posted less than a week ago, if anyone could actually use it to solve this problem, or if anyone on the support staff has actually used it and found it useful for your customers with this particular problem?

Would it be asking too much for you, Steve, to demonstrate exactly how you would use these instructions on your personal computer? As an incentive, I'll send you a five pack of Macanudo Hyde Park cigars if you can do it today on 10/23/13!

I'm on a MacBook Pro, or I'd try to help you out ....

I've helped a number of users on Macs using a product called LogMeIn ..

https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/

It's simple and quick to install, plus comes in both Mac and Windows versions.

It lets you give desktop control to a support person who can quickly solve a problem like yours, easier than using lengthy email exchanges. Once the support person is done, you just remove their access and there's no security issues.

Regards,

Doug

For the record, the full instructions related to the Windows qt.dll bug are located here:

http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=243

With all respect, I don't see how those instructions make sense. You put your dll in front of the other one system-wise, so from the user perspective it is no different than simply overwriting the other dll with your version.

And your game in your folder should have picked up your version in the game folder anyway, and even if not you can force that. Or is there some other executable that's running with the wrong dll?

What are the symptoms when people pick up the wrong dll, anyway?

A member of the Battlefront support team refused to give me step by step instructions to resolve a problem after exchanging two dozen emails to hopefully get my game working.

For the record, if you are looking for community help, don't say "a problem". What is the problem you are trying to fix?

With all respect, I don't see how those instructions make sense. You put your dll in front of the other one system-wise, so from the user perspective it is no different than simply overwriting the other dll with your version.

And your game in your folder should have picked up your version in the game folder anyway, and even if not you can force that. Or is there some other executable that's running with the wrong dll?

What are the symptoms when people pick up the wrong dll, anyway?

I'm happy to explain it to you, Redwolf.

It's not people picking up anything, nor our game. It's a Windows issue of mismatching (incompatible) qt.dll libraries. The problem has nothing to do with our games, other than some of the use the common qt libraries as well (as do, e.g. most Adobe products). The instructions provide a workaround to fix the mismatch and override the other (most likely outdated) dll's that some other program is (or has been) using.

For the record, if you are looking for community help, don't say "a problem". What is the problem you are trying to fix?

LOL! The same applies to helpdesk support. You wouldn't believe how many people submit a support request like this:

"My game doesn't work".

Literally, that's all they say.

So, Redwolf, are you looking for a job in our tech support? We have a part-time position open right now (seriously).

"My instructions, as well as the website link I gave you, are as simple as it gets, and I cannot really improve them." to quote from one of your support staff emails... is this not a mischaracterization of at least the directions provided?

We have more than a dozen years of experience supporting our products. Unfortunately it sometimes comes down to there being nothing more that we can do. Hence the offer for a refund.

Otherwise, I would say that your support staff has been patient and courteous over the past three weeks - even offering to refund my purchase.

Thank you for that.

Just wondering that since this knowledgebase article was posted less than a week ago, if anyone could actually use it to solve this problem, or if anyone on the support staff has actually used it and found it useful for your customers with this particular problem?

Yes.

Would it be asking too much for you, Steve, to demonstrate exactly how you would use these instructions on your personal computer?

Since I have a Mac I not only can't follow these instructions on my personal computer, but because the operating system isn't routinely the cause of problems, I don't need to. :D

But yeah, even though I don't use a PC I can follow these instructions. That's because I have a basic understanding of how Windows works. For all it's advances this part of it has remained consistent since DOS and there's even an equivalent on the Mac in terms of the concept of paths.

Steve

I'm happy to explain it to you, Redwolf.

It's not people picking up anything, nor our game. It's a Windows issue of mismatching (incompatible) qt.dll libraries. The problem has nothing to do with our games, other than some of the use the common qt libraries as well (as do, e.g. most Adobe products). The instructions provide a workaround to fix the mismatch and override the other (most likely outdated) dll's that some other program is (or has been) using.

Your executable in one directory should still pick up your dll in the same directory first to run that binary.

That's why I'm thinking there might be a little more to the story, such as involvement of other programs, or other libraries that might be pulled in by the qt library in turn.

In any case, if you want to override the suspected outdated system's qt library with your newer one the proper way to do it is to simply copy it into the systemwide place, overwriting the old one. Messing with $PATH is really not the right way to go, even ignoring that the problem probably has more to it in the first place. You are just setting yourself up for more failures when the user's environment changes.

For the record, if you are looking for community help, don't say "a problem". What is the problem you are trying to fix?[/quote

Thanks for responding.

The "problem" is getting Commonwealth to open on my computer. I have the CMBN and Commonwealth disks and install according to the default paths. I also tried downloading Commonwealth to install as well, assuming the disk was defective. I followed these instructions for installation, which seem to work for everyone else: CMBN>Commonwealth>111patch>2.0 patch>2.01 patch. CMBN opens as it should, but Commonwealth does not. It does not show up as an installed program, but there are document files for it installed in the Battlefront doc folder.

When I tried to install Commonwealth after CMBN with the license key and McAfee firewall and scanner off, the error shows server not responding, or I have run out of activations ( I was given more activations, but this did not work). If I try to use the manual method, the prompt just disappears and no code is produced.

The last support suggestion was to try this fix "Ah, the qt.dll error is a Windows bug. We have a Knowledgebase article about it here...after I reported the error message of a qt error in the attachment below: "The program can't start because QtGui4.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

post-25777-141867625088_thumb.jpg

When I tried to install Commonwealth after CMBN with the license key and McAfee firewall and scanner off, the error shows server not responding, or I have run out of activations ( I was given more activations, but this did not work). If I try to use the manual method, the prompt just disappears and no code is produced.

The last support suggestion was to try this fix "Ah, the qt.dll error is a Windows bug. We have a Knowledgebase article about it here...after I reported the error message of a qt error in the attachment below: "The program can't start because QtGui4.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I cannot parse that. At what point did qt.dll come in? What prompted support to say "the qt.dll error"? It sounds like you "only" had activation issues up to that point.

Does your CMBN folder contain QtGui4.dll at all?

The error message occurred when I was looking for Commonwealth files and found one in my document library>CMBN>modules>CMN Commonwealth module. And I see that there is a QtGui4.dll located within the CMBN file folder toward the bottom..

I am now wondering if the default path for installing Commonwealth pointed to the Battlefront file in my documents, instead of my Battlefront program file? I created this desktop shortcut to place and send out email games I am playing.

Therefore, Redwolf, let me try reinstalling again and paying more attention to where Commonwealth is pointed tomorrow, before you respond, unless you think this may not be the problem...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After looking at the file paths for installing the game, they appeared correct - installing into my document files at the same location. I then deleted the shortcut on my desktop, uninstalled everything, and reinstalled in sequence again, CMBN>CMC>patch 1.11>patch 2.0>patch 2.01. There was no difference in the results. The QtGui4.dll is still in the document file for Battlefront, but Commonwealth is not in the Battlefront program file again.

Sign in to follow this