Sign in to follow this  
Chops

Windows 8.1

I have a ticket open for this problem as well. After Win 8.1 CMBN/FI both asked for activation keys. I could enter keys into the field and they came back saying they had both activated okay, but then the games failed to launch. I tried several attempts and I guess I hit an activation limit, because I then only had the option to quit and contact support for assistance.

I'm a patient guy and trust BFC will get a fix for this as soon as they can.

Same problem for me, even with a clean install of Win8.1. Latest from BFC is:

"since this is a Windows issue most likely, I doubt that there will be a patch, to be honest, for this specifically."

if true, this would be a total bummer, as it would mean Market Garden is not playable on 8.1 until MS releases an update.

Same problem for me, even with a clean install of Win8.1. Latest from BFC is:

"since this is a Windows issue most likely, I doubt that there will be a patch, to be honest, for this specifically."

if true, this would be a total bummer, as it would mean Market Garden is not playable on 8.1 until MS releases an update.

Hi BDW,

when you say "clean install", do you mean that you completely reformatted, installed 8.0, then 8.1, and then installed the game?

Hi Moon - yep that is exactly what I did. Total system reformat, then 8.0 then 8.1, then the game (in the order of the versions)

I should add: the only hiccup in the process was when I installed the CMBN 2.0 upgrade - it would not allow me to activate that online, so I just went ahead and installed Market Garden module.

Hi BDW, thanks for the clarification. What do you mean with "it would not allow me to activate that online"?

Did you launch the game from the activation short cut? If so, did it allow you to enter a license key? If so, try entering your 2.0 Upgrade key, close the activation window, launch again from the activation shortcut, enter the Market Garden key, close it again, then launch the game by double-clicking on the main game exe (and not the activation shortcut).

Martin

When I got to the the activate CMBN 2.0 step, it forces an activate offline dialog. I entered my key and then it gives me this:

Here is your Request Code

Please contact your vendor for further instructions

Please enter your Authorization Code:

Edit:

So, I just skipped that step and installed MG module.

Since I've installed the MG module, when I launch CMBN it prompts me for activation, but the only key it will accept is the MG key. It says it is activated with that key. unfortunately, the game no longer launches using any of the methods suggested. it just takes me to that same activation screen, and if I press launch from there, nothing happens.

This is likely similar to reinstalling, but this is what fixed it for me:

I opened the CM Normandy.exe as the local Administrator user (I am normally logged in as a domain user). I was then prompted to activate, I did (online), and now the game works no matter which user runs it.

When I got to the the activate CMBN 2.0 step, it forces an activate offline dialog. I entered my key and then it gives me this:

Here is your Request Code

WXFM6-N7RBM-CUTEI-V

Please contact your vendor for further instructions

Please enter your Authorization Code:

Edit:

So, I just skipped that step and installed MG module.

Since I've installed the MG module, when I launch CMBN it prompts me for activation, but the only key it will accept is the MG key. It says it is activated with that key. unfortunately, the game no longer launches using any of the methods suggested. it just takes me to that same activation screen, and if I press launch from there, nothing happens.

What do you mean when you say "the only key it will accept is the MG key"? What does it do exactly? Do you see an error?

Martin

This is likely similar to reinstalling, but this is what fixed it for me:

I opened the CM Normandy.exe as the local Administrator user (I am normally logged in as a domain user). I was then prompted to activate, I did (online), and now the game works no matter which user runs it.

No, this is nothing like reinstalling, actually. In 99% of all cases, reinstalling will do nothing, in 1% of all cases, it will make matters worse. We advise people not to reinstall until directed to by our tech support. At the least it's usually a waste of time.

Martin

Moon, good news! in replying to your question, I went to launch CMBN and input the license key so I could write down the error code. I pasted the CMBN v2.0 upgrade code in there, and it gave me a success and showed the two green boxes for CMBNv2.0 and the MG module. I had not seen that before. Now, I've successfully launched the game and all is well! MG launches no problem. So to recap my experience:

1. Reformat system drive

2. install Win 8

3. install 8.1 update

4. install CMBN and activate successfully

5. install v101 patch

6. install CW module and activate successfully

7. install v111 patch

8. install v2.0 upgrade, skip activation because it only allowed "offline" activation when I tried to use the v2.0 key

9. install v2.01 patch

10. install MG module and activate successfully

11. unable to launch CMBN

12. run activation and paste in the CMBN v2.0 product key, result = two green boxes and game launches like normal again

hope this helps!!

Hi BDW,

that's great news. For the record, the correct sequence in your case* should have been:

1. Reformat system drive, install Win 8, install 8.1 update, then:

1. install CMBN ==== (unnecessary: and activate successfully)

==== 5. install v101 patch (unnecessary)

2. install CW module ==== (unnecessary: and activate successfully)

3. install v111 patch

4. install v2.0 upgrade

==== 9. install v2.01 patch (unnecessary)

5. run activation and paste in the CMBN v2.0 product key

6. install MG module and paste in Market Garden key

Martin

* this is not applicable other users, reformatting or reinstalling Windows is not necessary.

Hi Martin, yep, I suspected I might have screwed something up! I was going to wipe my computer anyhow, after doing the 8.1 update. My rule of thumb is: always start fresh when MS does a major release. I can say w/o a doubt that the computer is running much better now than it was when I tried the 8.1 update w/o reformatting. The reformat + clean install of W8 and 8.1 really went smoothly (CMBN aside) and the computer has never been faster. So, I actually would recommend that people follow the process you outlined in your previous post - their computers will be better for it, if my experience is any prediction. :-)

I am wondering if there has been any movement on MS's part or if there is any news about this. Trust me, I am not blaming BF as I only had problems after the upgrade but I am getting very frustrated with MS.

I bought MG when it came out but have not been able to play any CM games due to this problem for the last 9 days. I do not want to roll back as I think that this may cause more problems than it is worth and am willing to forego CM for a while but large companies like Adobe must be screaming bloody murder by now.

BF,

Is there any word on fixes to the 8.1 upgrade bug? It has been 12 days now since CMBN and CMFI have stopped working. I have not yet heard anything about a fix? Any status update?

The bug is in Windows, not our software, so there isn't anything for us to fix unfortunately. Having said that, we have a reliable workaround which includes resetting your activation state.

If you have posted a ticket about issues after updating to Windows 8.1, please check the ticket at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk, after logging in.

Is the username and password the same as I use for when logging into the BF site? I hate entering password info into a site that I do not know. I never know what they do with passwords.

Also,

I have not received an email with further information other than the initial response from the ticket that I submitted.

Martin, are you able to send me the activation cleaner, or make sure my activations are okay? I do have a helpdesk ticket for this.

Also, do you know exactly what Microsoft broke and how it messed up CMBN?

Martin....sorry I didn't realise that you had attached the activation cleaners to my helpdesk ticket. I followed your instructions and ran the cleaners and I can now start the game - everything is okay!! - thanks for your help on this.

@ Canada Guy - get these cleaners, they may work for you too. Good Luck!

Meh, I just updated and yet again my CMBN wont work. Ticket submitted, same as last time.......

Is the whole DRM thing really necessary on a game that very few people know about in the mainstream world? There MUST be another way in this modern world rather than this type of DRM?

Is the username and password the same as I use for when logging into the BF site? I hate entering password info into a site that I do not know. I never know what they do with passwords.

Also,

I have not received an email with further information other than the initial response from the ticket that I submitted.

The helpdesk login is the same as for the main site (not the forum). Check the Knowledgebase in the helpdesk about logging in etc. Emails can get blocked by anti-spam software, best to check for responses directly in the ticket, especially if you haven't heard after 24-48 hours.

Meh, I just updated and yet again my CMBN wont work. Ticket submitted, same as last time.......

Is the whole DRM thing really necessary on a game that very few people know about in the mainstream world? There MUST be another way in this modern world rather than this type of DRM?

Actually, we are not using DRM. It's a simple activation without the M of DRM (i.e. there is no "management" of (y)our digital rights. The "other way" would be DRM, such as Steam or others, which requires you to have an online connection regularly, and is doing stuff behind your back. It's more convenient, but not without its share of major issues.

Having said that, we're constantly improving our activation system. The upcoming 2.11 and 1.11 patches should make the likelihood of a system update causing the license watchdog to bark much much lower than it is currently. We don't like it any more than you do. Actually, we're the ones doing all the work in the background, so I am pretty sure we like it MUCH MUCH less than you do.

Releasing unprotected games (or games protected so poorly that they may as well be unprotected) would be nice. Aand peace and flowers for everyone! ;)

Actually, we are not using DRM. It's a simple activation without the M of DRM (i.e. there is no "management" of (y)our digital rights. The "other way" would be DRM, such as Steam or others, which requires you to have an online connection regularly, and is doing stuff behind your back. It's more convenient, but not without its share of major issues.

Having said that, we're constantly improving our activation system. The upcoming 2.11 and 1.11 patches should make the likelihood of a system update causing the license watchdog to bark much much lower than it is currently. We don't like it any more than you do. Actually, we're the ones doing all the work in the background, so I am pretty sure we like it MUCH MUCH less than you do.

Releasing unprotected games (or games protected so poorly that they may as well be unprotected) would be nice. Aand peace and flowers for everyone! ;)

I do understand and I also do appreciate the speed that you consistently address my 'DR' issues. I also appreciate that its Windows and not your system doing it. It just gets a wee bit annoying that this has happened 3 times this year when I have updated my machine somehow.

On that note, I installed windows 8.1, CM didnt work, two days later, CM did work! Today, it didnt work. Did I mention that Im not impressed with 8.1....:mad:

You are the first one to use the terminology that way. In your view an always online copy protection is "DRM"?

In any case, at the rate that your current copy protection is failing a system requiring to be online at game startup would probably be an improvement. That way I can install the game and copy it and reinstall the OS from scratch and restore a backup as much as I like without any hassle. No reason to do anything behind your back either. (*)

That much sounds good. Will that include that you can expand the RAM without triggering?

(I assume it goes without saying that you can plug in a headset without it going boom, right?)

(*) that's ridiculous coming from you anyway. Your copy protection anchors itself deep into the system, needs a custom "cleaner", constantly gets (correctly) identified as malware by virus scanners and cruises around the hardware mapping it all day long. And you say other schemes are doing things behind your back.

Hi, This old thread might contain clues to an issue I am facing.

I am using windows 8.1 and have new PC but CMFI and CMRT do not run.

Just focusing on CMFI to begin with and it fails to run or even get to point of activation - using the CD version and not applying any patches.

Any update on what the eventual solution to this was?

Sign in to follow this