Sign in to follow this  
Chops

Windows 8.1

I just installed the Windows 8.1 update on an existing version of Windows 8. I had CM:BN, CW and the new MG module installed. No problems and the game worked perfectly.

After the update, when trying to launch CM:BN I was prompted to enter my license key. I entered my new MG license key, clicked Activate, and the dialog box confirmed that CM:BN with CW and CM:MG were activated. I then clicked on Launch, however nothing happens. The game does not launch.

I have rebooted and gone through the same process several times. The game still will not start.

Try launching the game by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu. Hopefully this is just an issue of needing administrative-level rights to read the license state.

The Windows 8.1 Update is probably being seen by the copy-protection system and an 'upgrade' to the operating system and thus 'invalidating' the previous activation. However in your case it has allowed to be reactivated, rather than giving a "License error/problem" message and not proceeding. In that case you would usually have to run the gsClean utilities to delete the current activation and reactivate the game. However you are being provided with the license dialog box, so running gsClean would not make a difference.

If launching the game with "Run as administrator" doesn't work, then contact the Helpdesk and hopefully they may be aware of what is happening.

Thanks for your very quick response, however, I went ahead and did an uninstall. My plan is to reinstall everything from scratch. After running the Uninstall program, it did not do a clean uninstall. A bunch of files and folders were left. Is there a utility that will do a clean uninstall?

Ok I deleted the folders and files manually, rebooted, ran CCleaner to clean the registry, reinstalled CM:BN base game.

Uh oh, not good. When launching a scenario no soldiers, just rifles, and tanks. The invisible soldier bug. The Jerries sure are gonna be surprised when all they see are rifles advancing toward them.

I uninstalled my graphics driver, rebooted, reinstalled the latest AMD Radeon Catalyst driver for my HD5770 and still have invisible troops.

Tried launching the CM:BN executable as Administrator, still no troops.

By the way I was never prompted for a license key or activation after all of the above.

At this point, I am NOT recommending the Windows 8.1 update.

I will continue installing the CW Module, the 2.0 Upgrade, and the MG Module and see what happens.

You were correct sir. After installing the CW Module, I installed the 1.11 patch, and voila...troops are no longer stealth. Next up is the 2.0 upgrade, the 2.1 patch and the MG Module. Should be back in business soon.

Just completed installing everything up to and including the MG Module. Back to where I started...prompted for the MG license key which I enter, it is accepted, then the game won't launch. nada, zilch. I did launch the game as "Run as Administrator"

How can I get the GSclean Utility? Might as well give it a try.

Did I mention that I really don't like Windows 8.1?

During the lengthy re-install process, after installing the CMBN 2.0 upgrade, I did receive a license error when trying to launch the game. I continued with the 2.01 patch and the MG module. I was prompted for my key after the MG installation, it said that base game and all modules were activated, however game will not launch as above. Seems that there is some license corruption in the registry, so I would like to try GSclean.

I have searched the support website for solutions, and for the GSclean utility with no success.

I also submitted a support ticket. Is support available on weekends or am I out of luck until next week?

Same here

I just installed the Windows 8.1 update on an existing version of Windows 8. I had CM:BN and the new MG module installed. No problems and the game worked perfectly.

After the update, when trying to launch CM:BN I was prompted to enter my license key. But I can't enter anything in the field for the license code ...

-------

Uninstalled CM:BN, reboot, installed CM:BN (runs fine), installed patch 1.11 (runs fine), installed the 2.0 upgrade --> license error. contact your vendor for assistance ;-(

I am running into a similar issue. Had everything working on Windows 8 laptop fine and then installed the 8.1 update. When I tried to open CMBN it said license activation error. I still have the gsClean apps from a previous update breaking CMBN, however when I try run the Commonwealth clean app, it crashes.

I just installed the Windows 8.1 update on an existing version of Windows 8. I had CM:BN and the new MG module installed. No problems and the game worked perfectly.

After the update, when trying to launch CM:BN I was prompted to enter my license key. But I can't enter anything in the field for the license code (no cursor when you click into the field where you're supposed to enter the code...

Image2_zpsfc3723cb.jpg

When I cklicked the "Activate CMBN Market Garden" icon on my desktop. Same Message as in the image above. But: When I click on the Activate-Button a cursor appears and I can copy/paste the reg-code. Then this message comes up

Image4_zpsa1168a44.jpg

Yeah, looks good (I thought). But when I click the launch button, nothing happens. Next time I try to start CMBN I get the message from the first picture.

I uninstalled CM:BN, rebooted, installed CM:BN (runs fine), installed patch 1.11 (runs fine), installed the 2.0 upgrade --> license error. contact your vendor for assistance (other message as above)

Bah, this sucks.... ;-((

Jens

Hi, I have the same problem with my CM installation after uppdating to Windows 8.1.

Installing CMBN and CMBN:CW Works. But after installing 2.0 and MG I get the same licens problem. It's the same with CMFI, stoped working after Windows 8.1.

/Zhed

Yeah, looks good (I thought). But when I click the launch button, nothing happens. Next time I try to start CMBN I get the message from the first picture.

How do you start it? Do NOT use the Activation shortcut again, simply launch the game normally, from the Launch link, or by double-clicking the main game exe file.

On second thought, it does look like a potential compatibility issue with Windows 8.1. I have seen a lot of bug reports online for all types of software (including Office products ;-)) related specifically to the Windows 8.1 update. Some solutions indicate updating .NET (although that would be weird as we're not using it for our games), or setting the Compatibility mode for the program. We're still gathering data at this point, however.

How do you start it? Do NOT use the Activation shortcut again, simply launch the game normally, from the Launch link, or by double-clicking the main game exe file.

Moon, did you read the all of my posts above? If you did your response makes no sense whatsoever. Myself and the other people that have posted in this thread all have the same issue. We have been waiting all weekend for some assistance.

Did Windows 8.1 come as a surprise to Battlefront? It has been well known that this upgrade was coming out in October for months and months.

Is there anybody technical that is looking into this? The game is unplayable. It will not launch.

Moon, did you read the all of my posts above? If you did your response makes no sense whatsoever. Myself and the other people that have posted in this thread all have the same issue. We have been waiting all weekend for some assistance.

Did Windows 8.1 come as a surprise to Battlefront? It has been well known that this upgrade was coming out in October for months and months.

Is there anybody technical that is looking into this? The game is unplayable. It will not launch.

Chops, see my second response after the one you quoted, it's right above yours. There seems to be a Windows issue (not just affected us, but all sorts of applications according to google), and the team is looking into it, trying to reproduce it, and then figure out what the workaround may be.

We have been waiting all weekend for some assistance.

Yes, sorry, it was an incredibly busy weekend. Frankly I haven't slept all that much since the release, and I suspect everyone else has been putting in crazy hours as well.

Microsoft made a number of late-in-the-game security updates to 8.1, which appear to have caused significant issues and caught a number of (much larger) software companies by surprise. We've got a handful of guys doing everything, and we do try to keep up on all fronts, but when companies as big as Nexon (which has hundreds of "technical" employees) have the same issues you perhaps begin to understand what an undertaking it is to keep up with everything that Microsoft and Apple throw at us.

Yes, I'm looking into it, as is Moon. When we find workarounds that appear to work, we will post them.

Thanks Phil and Moon,

I understand that it is not the CM software, and that this is a Microsoft issue of course, again.

I appreciate the hard work you guys are putting into finding a solution, and I am sure it is super frustrating for you as well.

Thanks again.

I found a workaround solution.

I uninstalled all CMBN files completely. Rebooted. Ran CCleaner to clean registry.

Re-installed CMBN, the CW Module, the 1.11 patch, and the 2.0 upgrade. I then ran the gsclean.exe utility from inside the CMBN directory where the CM Normandy.exe is located. I then removed the gsclean.exe. I then double clicked on the CM Normandy.exe to launch the game, and was prompted to enter my serial number. I entered my 2.0 upgrade serial number.

The game was successfully activated, I clicked on Launch and the game works again!

I then installed the 2.01 patch and the MG Module. I was prompted to enter my MG serial number and the game was successfully activated. Clicked on Launch and all is well again in CM Land!

Interesting because we are not really using the Registry for anything, and re-installing the game files has no impact on anything related to the activation status of your game.

Do you have CMFI? Does that still work? Some people report that this stops working after basically doing what you just did.

Either way, we're still testing various Windows 8.1 environments trying to reproduce this.

Interesting because we are not really using the Registry for anything, and re-installing the game files has no impact on anything related to the activation status of your game.

Do you have CMFI? Does that still work? Some people report that this stops working after basically doing what you just did.

Either way, we're still testing various Windows 8.1 environments trying to reproduce this.

No, I don't have CMFI. I also have CMBN installed in a non-default directory. C:\Sims\Battlefront\...

Additionally my Win 8.0 was a clean install and CMBN:MG was the only program I had installed. Since the Win 8.1 upgrade, I only have CMBN:MG and CCleaner installed on my Win 8.1 machine. The only antivirus program installed is what comes with Windows (i.e. Windows Defender).

I recently updated to 8.1 I have

CMBN: Base Game - CW - MG

CMFI: Base Game - GL

and I have problems all around for which I put in a ticket.

Both do not work. The CMBN family asks for a serial number but does not allow me to enter the field for the serial number.

CMFI family says that I am supposed to contact BF to get them to assist me.

I imagine at this time that there is a little s@*%storm at Microsoft as this is pretty basic QA testing. If Adobe and even some MS products have been affected then I can only imagine that a lot of smaller companies are also affected. I guess I can wait and actually get caught up on some of the housework that I have put off for a while. My wife will be happy (and maybe even can catch up with the BBC’s QI season 11).

Yeah, Canada Guy, Microsoft has even pulled the Windows 8.1 RT update entirely this morning (!), I've just read. So there is some serious issue going on for sure.

Sign in to follow this