Sign in to follow this  
db_zero

Install Order

I have CM Normandy CW Forces the 2.0 and 2.1 patch as well as the Italy-Gustav Line. I just got MG and in spite of following the instructions about 2 separate instances of the game running I could not get it to run and in the process destroyed my CM Normandy so I'll have to re-install and just forfeit my PBEM games.

What would be the proper install order? IIRC you should NOT install the Italy Gustav Line into the same directory as CM Normandy. I have 2 hard drives on my system and plan to install on the second drive which is not my primary.

Would the following installation work:

1. CMBN Normandy

2. CMBN 1.11 patch

3. CMBN 2.00 upgrade

4. CMBN 2.01 patch

5. CMCW Forces

6. Italy-Gustav Line in different directory than CMBN

7. MG into the CMBN Directory.

As I know

CMBN base

V1.01

CW

V1.11

V2.0

V2.01

MG

That seems to work, but I tried a PBEM I was playing before MG and it seems to run, but the sound is jacked.

What about Italy-Gustav Line? Install in a completely separate folder?

What about Italy-Gustav Line? Install in a completely separate folder?

Yes. Gustav Line is a completely different game than CMBN and actually has a completely different way it installs on your computer. CMBN installs entirely in your documents as I recall but Gustav Line installs on your C drive in the Programs x86 section and only has some minor stuff in the documents folder. I think it had something to do with the way Windows requires programs to be installed so the installation method for Gustav Line had to be altered to remain compliant with the way Windows wants stuff to be installed. So yeah, CMBN and CMGL are totally and entirely different games and don't even install in the same way. I would expect that future games will more than likely install in the way that CMGL does as opposed to the way CMBN does.

I did a complete reinstall of Normandy, CW forces and then installed MG into a separate folder-in effect running 2 versions as suggested. It worked for 1 PBEM turn. Now I can't even see the following turn from my opponent in the separate CMBN/CW with no MG installation and the separate MG no longer working-when it was working before.

At this point I would avoid doing 2 separate installations.

Either install MG and forget about previous PBEM games or do not install MG and wait till everyone is on it.

Do you definitely need v1.01 between BN and CW?

I'm doing a complete reinstall to try and solve some licensing issues and am planning to go:

CMBN base

CW

V2.0

MG

and

CMFI

CMGL

Do I need anything else? I have 1.01 patches, for example, but are these not covered by modules CW and GL?

Can someone definitively say if we reinstall CMBN, CW and MG that we do not need to also install any of the patches or the v2.0 upgrade?

Also, do we have to uninstall anything, or simply do the reinstall over the existing gamefiles (after removing any existing Z folder of course)?

Thanks I wondered if I have to uninstall anything or just reinstall (following the instructions) over the existing gamefiles (after moving the Z folder of course).

Ok, I tried reinstalling over my existing game. Here is the problem I encountered.

<"Error occurred while trying to copy a file" "Data error (cyclic redundancy check">

The first time this happened with the base CMBN I was able to press IGNORE and the game seems to load ok as I was able to start it. However, with CW game install, I received the same message while stuck on QB-233.btt. This time IGNORE didn't work, and the install was stuck. After a few futile attempts, I had to cancel the install, so the system reverted back to the base game 1.0.

So, unless there is some other fix I can try, it appears one has to uninstall the game completely before reinstalling.

I will try a fresh install to a new folder just to see if I can get it working before I uninstall the old version.

Any tech support would be welcome...

Install succeeded into new folder. But, counter to the printed instructions linked to above, I did have to activate both v2.0 of CM2 upgrade as well as the MG module. But, all seems well now. :)

Sign in to follow this