Admiration

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Hi Griffincheng,

I often buy my software in Hong kong when i am there on business trips...you know why! smile.gif

I have already purchased "Fleet command" "Force 21" and "Delta Force" here in Shanghai over the last few months. Although maybe what they mean is that these games will not be provided in China with Chinese documentation and in Chinese boxes - in other words official games on sale will be subject to scrutinization by the authorities.

CDIC

Guest GriffinCheng

Hello CDIC,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I have already purchased "Fleet command" "Force 21" and "Delta Force" here in Shanghai over the last few months. Although maybe what they mean is that these games will not be provided in China with Chinese documentation and in Chinese boxes - in other words official games on sale will be subject to scrutinization by the authorities.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think so. If you are trying to find priated software in HK nowadays, it would be pretty difficult as the Customs have shifting up their gears and the priates have faded to the back. Unless you really know the place, you may not find them as easy as before. Unfortunately, from my previous experience, they will show up again later. frown.gif

I have never been to Shanghai but from what I have read from numerious sources Shanghai is now a modern and busy city.

Happy wargaming and Happy New Year!

Griffin.

-- Wargaming over 5 years but still cannot get it right.

Guest GriffinCheng

Capt_Manieri,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>PS:You speak Chinese? You must be smart! I speak french and German and I tried to learn Japanese once.....but, damn. Those asian languages are hard to learn!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Japanese is not like Chinese since Japanese employs phonetics (?) like Western languages but Chinese employs ideograms which there is no direct way to know what a Chinese "character" pronounces. Unfortunately, Japanese have a very large set of phonentics and the Japanese tends to speak them very fast! Of course, understanding the meaning and gramma is completely something else.

Frankly, I tried to learn some basic Japanese but I gave up and I find may be Spanish/German more suite my taste.

Fionn,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Any country which invents an automatically-reloading crossbow capable of firing 6 arrows in 10 seconds is OK in my book .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

iirc, such crossbow was "standard" Chinese military equipment in around 200BC. Heavy calvary (armour horses) were first employed in around 250AD. As early as 1000AD, barbaric tribes in northern China extended this idea and linked three armoured horses together as a unit. There are several great generals and strategists born in China but almost everyone agrees Sun Tze is the greatest one and is one of the "world-class" greatest strategists ever. If you can read Chinese, you will find a lot of modern books discussing Sun Tze and his thinkings.

Oh, a little OT. The other weekend, I see a foreigner picking up Taiwanese defense magazines in a local hobby shop. I think he can read Chinese or he have somebody to translate them for him.

howardb,

it is a general myth (esp in US) that China is rich and powerful now. The fact is people living near the coast, especially in big metapolitical regions like Shanghai and Guangzhou are better off than the people living in inner parts of China. Over 2/3 popluations are still farmers. Even the better-off "capitalists" are not at the same living standard as general US public . In fact China has still a lot to learn to play the rules of modern world and I am sure that we are learning fast. Many observers here believe that opening and modernization of China is a road without U-turn. I had a copy of Fortune magzine clearing some myths about China, from the economics/business perspective. Stay tuned.

Griffin.

-- Wargaming for five years but still cannot get it right.

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng (edited 12-30-99).]

Mr. Capitalist in China, I too am a fan of Hidden & Dangerous and Rogue Spear. However, my roots are in the Avalon Hill board games and WWII miniatures. This game very much reminds me of the wonderful days at my local Hobby Shop where I would spend hours gaming with my friends on a home-made terrain table. I used platoon 20 miniatures from Ireland,ESCI model vehicles and Tractics rules. Ah, those were the good old days. Combat Mission is very interesting. It seems to have taken the best of the real time and turn based games. However, in this day and age of accelerated graphics, why was it not possible to attain an infantry ratio of one to one? I realize the polygon requirments would be high, but the infantry animation is very muchy inferior to the vehicle animation. Any thoughts? Does that bother anyone else? I must say it is nice to play against an AI that doesn't blindly charge no matter what the circumstances. Cheers

------------------

John

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>However, in this day and age of accelerated graphics, why was it not possible to attain an infantry ratio of one to one? I realize the polygon requirments would be high, but the infantry animation is very muchy inferior to the vehicle animation. Any thoughts? Does that bother anyone else?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I rather like the fact that I don't need the top of the line machine to play it.

------------------

---

Dan Brown

dbrown@owc.net

Actually, if one looks at the armies of Sumeria, Egypt and Persia (and others of course) they developed horse-cavalry much, much earlier than the Chinese due to the fact that the Chinese economic infrastructure was not sufficiently developed (insofar as sufficient excess produce was not available until late in the 1st millenium ( AD 0 to AD999) to feed the warhorses and maintain the herds etc) to support proper war horses until much later.

The CHinese cavalry tradition was far behind that of the west and even when Genghis invaded as far as the modern day middle east his horses were out matched in battle by those of his opponents. They made up for this by simply having multiple "ponies" per man and allowing the man to return to the rear to mount a new horse once his original mount became tired (this also led the opponents to over-estimate the size of Genghis' armies).

As for Sun Tzu I have of course read his work and last year picked up a very interesting analysis of his work in which a PLA general tried to present Sun Tzu's stratagems as those of a "true communist". The fact that Sun Tzu served Kings etc was conveniently overlooked as his theories were twisted to fit in with the need to make him a good communist. It was very interesting actually and a good look into how history is rewritten to fit political ideologies and cultural needs.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest GriffinCheng

Fionn,

My point is actually not presenting how advanced cavalry was developed in China. In fact most of them were used for recon purpose and backbone of the army was still chariots. Sorry for the unclear presentation.

Mongol horses are smaller than other horses and it is still true today. I think you aware that the Mongols were using calvary in a "blitz" manner and their tactical flexibility was far superior than most other armies at that time.

Theories and ideologies have been twisted to suite personal or politial needs frown.gif There are several Chinese books written by Chinese and Taiwan authors who are civilians that do not have those political twists.

I admire many of people out there having exposure to such a large extend of military and historical knowledge.

Griffin.

-- Wargaming for over 5 years but still cannot get it right

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng (edited 12-30-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Cool thread, even if way off topic smile.gif

To be on topic... John, do a search on the word "polygon". It should pull up a couple hundred posts about the real limitations of today's hardware. 1:1 representation is impossible for some time to come due to several technical reasons, including polygon counts. I don't think CM's follow ups will ever have 1:1 representations because of this, even when we can put in a lot more polygons.

Steve