Strategic Air Command Simulator

I used to remember a game called battle of Britain that put you in charge of the Luftwaffe or RAF. Is there anything out there that simulates an air campaign?

Especially something that allowed for mission planning, target lists, timing, flight path, etc

It would also be nice if it had a nice tutorial but I am asking too much

I used to remember a game called battle of Britain that put you in charge of the Luftwaffe or RAF.

Board game or computer game? There have been several board games along that line and a smaller number of computer games. I recall one of the latter that came out maybe 20 years ago. You played as the British and had squadrons of Spitfires and Hurricanes. The AI would launch Luftwaffe raids against you and you would have to scramble your interceptors (although you could have some already in the air patrolling, they would need to return to base to refuel shortly). Sometimes you would have advance warning and sometimes you wouldn't. Sometimes your airfields would get bombed and be out of action for a day or two. Sometimes the weather would close in and prevent ops. It was not a bad game. I sometimes wish I could still play it.

Michael

Someone here pointed out a website called 'Vassal' which you might like to check out. On there I found a module named 'B17 Queen of the Skies'. If you do and sort out how to play this game please get back to me. It looks good but I'm damned if I can suss it.

You need to own the boardgame to understand what the Vassal module does. That version on the site is very old, mass converted to a new version of Vassal, then mucked up by a third party. But I can get you the current version... if you get a hold of at least the original boardgame's rules.

Fighter Command by SSI? I used to play it a lot mailing 5.25" discs around het country to PBM opponents! Great game - simple and addictive at the time! :)

There are a number of newer games that include BoB campaigns such as Battle of Britain by Matrix - which allows you to fly individual aircraft in a relatively simple flight sim when your strategic campaign generates a dogfight.

And there was a game by SSG....um....Europe Ablaze that I think had a BoB scenario too - but that was literally decades ago now.....

You need to own the boardgame to understand what the Vassal module does. That version on the site is very old, mass converted to a new version of Vassal, then mucked up by a third party. But I can get you the current version... if you get a hold of at least the original boardgame's rules.

Thanks for that -E.

You don't with the emulator..

new link..

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=C4BFD59463A5DFCE!196&authkey=!ABOGeh8ZJ149uLo

Game instructions..

http://www.prestonm.com/military/B17QotS/doc/B17HelpIndex.html