Italian DOW

I've brought this up before, and it has not changed but what the heck, I'll bring it up again. Why is Italy forced to declair war on the allies? The USA is not forced to declair war on Germany or Japan, and the Soviet Union is not forced to declair war on Germany. I think the axis Player should be left to make that decision. It can be a very bad decision, under some circumstances. For instance there are French and british ships including carriers all around Italy waiting to ambush the entire italian fleet. Or there are amphibious landing craft waiting near several italian ports. If the allies want to attack the italian fleet or invade Itlay they should at least have to declair war. It's easy for the allies to get Ítaly in the war early and unprepaired, they just pull the garrisons around the med.

That's a valid question Sharkman and I think it would be interesting to consider the consequences if Italy doesn't immediately enter the war.

I wonder, would the Allies then find themselves in some circumstances having to declare war on Italy?

There are ramifications if countries have to declare war, which would need to be considered, due to the upset it would cause the USA, whereas the way we make Italy enter the war at the moment is handled differently and can avoid that.

But first, the reasons why it's set that way are:

a) because Mussolini didn't follow what Hitler wanted, e.g. the attack on Greece, so this represents the lack of control that Germany had over him.

B) to also save players from having to click on the war map and declare war all round. We have experimented with players having to do this at times, especially in the earlier iterations of WWI, and it did cause a fair amount of confusion.

I see what you mean about pulling the garrisons from the Med. Do you think that is a gamey tactic to trigger Italy to enter the war while France is still relatively capable?

I don't condider it gamey at all, I have done it myself, and it doesn't allways work out well. I don't think Mussolini being stupid should be a part of the game though. Hitler was pretty stupid sometimes too, but the german Player does not get forced to fire his best leaders, hold the line at all costs, or turn his Jet fighter Units into tactical bomber units. I have allways thought it would be a really fun Option to Play a sort of Military leader forced to put up with a civilian political leader, lots of things like Mussolini declairing war at unopportune times could then happen. but as it is we are playing the Military leaders and political leaders rolled into one, that means we should get to decide when to declair war and when not to. By the way it would really be fun to Play a chaotic war with random uncontrollable political leaders forcing you to do things you don't really want to do, that might even make solo games interesting again. As far as gamey goes I don't really consider anything gamey, if it works and is allowed by the game engine, just do it, if the other Players don't like it, it will probably be patched out eventually anyway.