Sun Bug?

But I have noticed this before: The sun is in the NW or NE in scenarios.

Er, is that supposed to be a problem? Where I live, in the summer the sun rises in the NE and sets in the NW. I would expect that in Normandy, which is at an even more northerly latitude, that would be even more pronounced.

Michael

15pflf6.jpg

Ok I isolated the problem, the 1st pic is without movie lighting (alt-m).Everything is normal.The sun does not come through the building.

2j1wviq.jpg

In the 2nd pic when you hit movie lighting on (alt-m).The sun comes bursting through all buildings.Very annoying.

But yes this should be in the CMFI forum.My bad,but this is defenitley an issue.

So my guess is it isn't really the sun that is coming through but a camera-asociated lens flare that is part of the movie lighting shader set up. If that is the case, it seems that the camera doesn't take into account any obstacles between it and the virtual sun (I ssume the flares only occur when the camera is pointed at the sun). Would it be possible to turn off the lens flare while keeping the other aspects of movie mode?

Interesting. (Maybe it's reflecting off the glass in that window? ;) )

I'll check my build in a bit.

As for direction of the sun, in the summer, northern latitudes, the tilt of the earth changes the relative location of sunrise and sunset compared to in winter. (Obviously this occurs in southern latitudes as well.) If you've got concerns with regards to the direction of the sun, remember that the compass-like thing in the upper right corner of the game most definitely is NOT a compass. I can't count the number of times I reversed my directions when I looked at that thing. Yes, I've placed many a smoke screen downwind of my desired target. Sigh.

Interesting. (Maybe it's reflecting off the glass in that window? ;) )

I'll check my build in a bit.

As for direction of the sun, in the summer, northern latitudes, the tilt of the earth changes the relative location of sunrise and sunset compared to in winter. (Obviously this occurs in southern latitudes as well.) If you've got concerns with regards to the direction of the sun, remember that the compass-like thing in the upper right corner of the game most definitely is NOT a compass. I can't count the number of times I reversed my directions when I looked at that thing. Yes, I've placed many a smoke screen downwind of my desired target. Sigh.

Right, but the sun is always in the SE, S, or SW in the northern hemisphere--never NE or NW. (the reverse, of course, in the southern hemisphere)

I don't rule out the possibility that I misread the thingy at the upper right. As a practical matter, the sun direction is not, I don't think, an issue.

I am with Regiment here. Seems to me the lensflare is drawn as (one of) the last things on the screen. Which means it gets drawn on top of everything that's already on it and also explains why the sun isn't visible outside warmovie mode as there is no lensflare.

Hmm. Yeah, this might be the case. Probably not on all cards / drivers. I'll take a look at this at some point.

Only in winter. In the summer you are totally and absolutely wrong. Believe me. I have spent most of my life looking at the sky.

Michael

Well it doesn't change here in the UK winter or summer..rises in the East sets in the West. Same as in France..it travels E Se S SW W..thats why people want a South facing garden here in the UK. North facing gets no sun.

Read enough WW1 books where they mention the sun was a benefit to the German trench lines..as in the morning it blinded snipers and movement seen through periscopes. It was also a pain for Allied WW1 pilots aswell in during the dawn patrols heading towards the trench.

Believe me. I have spent most of my life looking at the sky.

Michael

Give it up Michael...

The aliens came, they snatched you up on that night long ago, and started their experiments.

Two minutes later, they decided that there was not intelligent life on this earth worth studying, re-deposited you in your corn field, and they ain't coming back!

:D

Well it doesn't change here in the UK winter or summer...

Sorry, I don't mean to be impolite, but frankly I am going to need a lot of convincing on that.

Same as in France..it travels E Se S SW W...

And in my part of the world during the summer it rises in the northeast, traverses through the south at noon, and then sets in the northwest.

thats why people want a South facing garden here in the UK. North facing gets no sun.

Well of course that is true for much of the day in summer and all day in winter, so yes there would be very good reason to put the garden on the south side. Just not quite the reason you are claiming. Just promise me if you will that next summer, say sometime during June, you will go outside to where you have a clear view of the horizon, take a compass and note precisely where the sun rises and sets. You may be surprised.

:)

Michael

Give it up Michael...

The aliens came, they snatched you up on that night long ago, and started their experiments.

Two minutes later, they decided that there was not intelligent life on this earth worth studying, re-deposited you in your corn field, and they ain't coming back!

So what you are saying is that I single-handedly saved humanity from what must have been a horrible fate. Surely I should be rewarded with untold riches and a never-ending stream of beautiful virgins, right? I think I will call up my senator and tell her you recommended that.

Michael

Only in winter. In the summer you are totally and absolutely wrong. Believe me. I have spent most of my life looking at the sky.

Michael

If I was one of the denizens of the thread that must not be named I would make a reply to the effect that knowing now that you have spent most of your life looking at the sky explains many of your posts over the years. However, as I am not one of the said denizens I shall make no such comment.

I look forward to seeing, next summer, the sun rising in the Northern half of the sky.

I hesitate to say this, but yes... Emrys is correct. A short explanation of the geometry of the Azimuth of Sunrise:

http://stevekluge.com/astronomy/riseazimuth.html

In brief, regardless of where you stand on the Earth, at the Equinoxes, Sunset and Sunrise occur due West and due East, respectively.

At the Summer Solstice, the sun's path through the sky (the ecliptic) is 23.5 degrees North of its path at the Equinoxes. So regardless of where you stand on the globe, the points at which the sun crosses the true horizon line are North of true East and West for one half of the year.

However, since the ecliptic becomes more tilted the further away from the equator you get, in more northern latitudes, high noon is always south of the median line, and the sun spends most of the time that it's actually visible in the southern half of the sky.