Sign in to follow this  
para

GFX card

I tend to prefer Nvidia over AMD, but AMD does give you a bit more horsepower for the price. The only problem is that the AMD drivers sometimes seem to be more problematic, though that isn't always the case and I'm not specifically aware of any problems with the current drivers. I do like the driver options that Nvidia offers, which seem more extensive than AMD's.

In your price range (assuming 20% UK VAT) you can potentially find Nvidia GeForce GTX 760, GTX 670 and GTX 660 Ti. On the AMD Radeon side you can find some Radeon HD 7950's, HD 7870's and a few HD 7970's.

Some of the better manufacturers have been eVGA, ASUS, MSI, HIS, Gigabyte, Sapphire and Powercolor, though each has made video cards that don't warrant the price or have the reliability. There may be a few other brands in the UK/Europe retail channels that aren't often seen here too that may be good.

You will see cards all over the price range for the same video chip. The primary differences will be the amount of VRAM, the clock speed of the GPU (or memory), with a number of cards supporting higher default clock speeds and the heatsink quality ('reference' or significantly improved). One thing that you may want to watch out for is fan noise. You may want to check out the user reviews on the models you are interested in and see what sort of experiences users have with the video card. Once running a 3D game for a while some GPU fans may be quite noisy.

All of the above video cards should have GDDR5 memory, though some may be faster than others (comparing video cards with the same video chip). Video Memory Bandwidth will probably have a significant impact on games like CMBN, etc. However the hardware specs don't tell the complete story on performance.

I tend to prefer Nvidia over AMD, but AMD does give you a bit more horsepower for the price. The only problem is that the AMD drivers sometimes seem to be more problematic, though that isn't always the case and I'm not specifically aware of any problems with the current drivers. I do like the driver options that Nvidia offers, which seem more extensive than AMD's.

In your price range (assuming 20% UK VAT) you can potentially find Nvidia GeForce GTX 760, GTX 670 and GTX 660 Ti. On the AMD Radeon side you can find some Radeon HD 7950's, HD 7870's and a few HD 7970's.

Some of the better manufacturers have been eVGA, ASUS, MSI, HIS, Gigabyte, Sapphire and Powercolor, though each has made video cards that don't warrant the price or have the reliability. There may be a few other brands in the UK/Europe retail channels that aren't often seen here too that may be good.

You will see cards all over the price range for the same video chip. The primary differences will be the amount of VRAM, the clock speed of the GPU (or memory), with a number of cards supporting higher default clock speeds and the heatsink quality ('reference' or significantly improved). One thing that you may want to watch out for is fan noise. You may want to check out the user reviews on the models you are interested in and see what sort of experiences users have with the video card. Once running a 3D game for a while some GPU fans may be quite noisy.

All of the above video cards should have GDDR5 memory, though some may be faster than others (comparing video cards with the same video chip). Video Memory Bandwidth will probably have a significant impact on games like CMBN, etc. However the hardware specs don't tell the complete story on performance.

Cheers Schrullenhaft

I do not play games apart from CM. So i want it to be able to run CM very nicely. I will probably get Elite: Dangerous on release but that is sometime next year. So far now a card that will do CM justice will do me nicely.

This thread by a beta tester with the Market Garden module compares a GeForce GTX 670 with a Radeon HD 6870. It gives you a general idea of the quality difference between the two video cards and their drivers. The Radeons recommended in this thread are quite a bit faster than the HD 6870, but the visual quality will broadly be the same.

You will notice some differences in the actual content between the comparing screenshots. This is due to a bit of the randomness of in CMBN's foliage rendering (different tree trunks, shrub height, etc.).

I personally have used Newegg here in the US and the reviews on the site are usually informative in some manner. I'm not sure if Amazon UK has as many reviews as Newegg may have on computer hardware. I assume most models in the US will be present in the UK, though there still may be a bit of a price difference (beyond VAT).

I utilized the following Newegg search for video cards in the US$200 - US$300 price range. Some of the reviews here may be helpful in possibly making a selection with an UK retailer.

With these higher end video cards, I don't think you're going to see much of a difference between 2GB and 4GB of video memory. Some games MAY see a difference, but CMBN probably will not to my knowledge, even with a lot of high-res mods.

This thread by a beta tester with the Market Garden module compares a GeForce GTX 670 with a Radeon HD 6870. It gives you a general idea of the quality difference between the two video cards and their drivers. The Radeons recommended in this thread are quite a bit faster than the HD 6870, but the visual quality will broadly be the same.

You will notice some differences in the actual content between the comparing screenshots. This is due to a bit of the randomness of in CMBN's foliage rendering (different tree trunks, shrub height, etc.).

I personally have used Newegg here in the US and the reviews on the site are usually informative in some manner. I'm not sure if Amazon UK has as many reviews as Newegg may have on computer hardware. I assume most models in the US will be present in the UK, though there still may be a bit of a price difference (beyond VAT).

I utilized the following Newegg search for video cards in the US$200 - US$300 price range. Some of the reviews here may be helpful in possibly making a selection with an UK retailer.

With these higher end video cards, I don't think you're going to see much of a difference between 2GB and 4GB of video memory. Some games MAY see a difference, but CMBN probably will not to my knowledge, even with a lot of high-res mods.

Excellent info much appreciated..time to look at some of those reviews :)

The Gainward GeForce GTX 760 looks good to me. It is using what appears to be a 'reference' cooler of the 'blower' type (pushing air out of the back of the video card through the vents). These usually work fairly well (keeping warm air out of the case), but they do tend to get a bit noisy when the card warms up.

The Gainward is using the 'default' core clock and is NOT factory overclocked. You can 'overclock' the card yourself, depending on your tolerance for the fan noise and the video card's stability. Newer GeForces now have a 'Boost Clock' that automatically overclocks the GPU in certain situations.

Pay close attention to the power supply requirements (600 W). Often you can probably run the video card with a lower wattage power supply, but when the card starts working hard and/or you overclock it, it will pull more amps (current and therefor power). This can potentially cause instability in the system as the power draw stresses the power supply and weaker power supplies my cause lockups to the computer by fluctuating the voltage/amps.

The Gainward GeForce GTX 760 looks good to me. It is using what appears to be a 'reference' cooler of the 'blower' type (pushing air out of the back of the video card through the vents). These usually work fairly well (keeping warm air out of the case), but they do tend to get a bit noisy when the card warms up.

The Gainward is using the 'default' core clock and is NOT factory overclocked. You can 'overclock' the card yourself, depending on your tolerance for the fan noise and the video card's stability. Newer GeForces now have a 'Boost Clock' that automatically overclocks the GPU in certain situations.

Pay close attention to the power supply requirements (600 W). Often you can probably run the video card with a lower wattage power supply, but when the card starts working hard and/or you overclock it, it will pull more amps (current and therefor power). This can potentially cause instability in the system as the power draw stresses the power supply and weaker power supplies my cause lockups to the computer by fluctuating the voltage/amps.

Just realised, i know very little about this sort of stuff. Will give that one a miss i think. I appreciate this help Schrullenhaft. Right more searching :)

cheers for now

All sorts, with quite a bit of feedback from the beta testers and their setups. There is no real 'reference' card for the game as far as I'm aware. Phil has had to do a number of things to program the shaders for the various video cards out there. I don't know what the developers use on their computers.

Sign in to follow this