Balaklava September 2013..

bruce90

...some photos I took a few weeks ago.

1...Site of Russian Bastion Number 4 in the Crimean War Sevastopol defences

2...The 'Valley of Death' viewed from Lord Raglans' position on Sapoune Ridge. Balaklava is

the right and the Light Brigade charged from right to left.

3...A view of the position of the Russian guns the Light Brigade charged in the middle

distance.The artillery and trenches etc. in the foreground are Russian positions from the

fighting on the Ridge in World War II

post-17375-141867625056_thumb.jpg

post-17375-141867625058_thumb.jpg

post-17375-141867625059_thumb.jpg

Did you go visit the 12" guns in the Maxim Gorky battery just north of Sevastopol??

Originally it had 4 guns in twin turrets, but it was rebuilt after WW2 with 2 turrets from the dreadnought Frunze (originally Poltava) and supposedly they remain in working condition - although supposedly last fired in 1958 - but they are still real WW1 dreadnought equipment :)

You can see them in google maps & they're on my bucket list!! :)

Edit: Dammit how do you attach an image here - does it still only take a URL??

Did you go visit the 12" guns in the Maxim Gorky battery just north of Sevastopol??

Originally it had 4 guns in twin turrets, but it was rebuilt after WW2 with 2 turrets from the dreadnought Frunze (originally Poltava) and supposedly they remain in working condition - although supposedly last fired in 1958 - but they are still real WW1 dreadnought equipment :)

You can see them in google maps & they're on my bucket list!! :)

Edit: Dammit how do you attach an image here - does it still only take a URL??

Sadly no. It was a daytrip off a ship and there wasn't enough time to see a great deal.

Stalin's Organist,

When I was a kid, the Guinness Book of World Records specifically recorded a shot by Dora against an ammo bunker at Severnaya Bay which penetrated I forget how many feet of earth and then reinforced concrete as the deepest such attack in history and what was then believed to be the only combat use of Dora. Excellent account you provided. Had seen a pic of the smashed Maxim Gorky turret but has somehow thought Dora did the deed. War artist Hans Liska (on same site as your link) did a watercolor(?), I believe, of that same smashed turret. The "After The Storm" article title totally threw me out of the gate.

bruce90,

Never mind the battlefield, did you have baklava while at Balaclava?! Was forever getting those two confused. Sadly, baklava makes poor headgear for night ops.

And of key importance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardigan_(sweater)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raglan_sleeve

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Regards,

John Kettler

• 4 weeks later...