Please help me find ideas for military signs

I appreciate any help you can send my way.

I have a little modding project going on. Modding the CMFI GL milestones to be a variety of pointing towards a certain town/city and also military type signs.

I have a bunch of books and have gone through them and found a few nice ones. Here is one I have made based on period photos:

it-mile-sign5mainlandexample_zps1a0e07ee.png

I am asking for any inputs for cool signs that could be made. I have looked at some Tamiya and Verlinden decal sheets but I think I am stuck with a certain shape and size sign.

For example, I don't know a way yet to do the large rectangular Bastogne sign. Somebody else might and I am in touch with Tempest...

Bastogne+-+US+soldiers+sign.bmp

bastogne.jpg

If you find a photo of what might make a cool modded sign, please send it to me.

Obviously, we will not see signs that say, "George Co HQ this way ---->"

But I once read about a unit, maybe battalion or regimental HQ that said "Courage Forward"

Which was to say, a sign that pointed to the forward HQ of that unit.

Also, we would see signs for Field Hospitals or logistic units or CIV AFFAIRS

Thanks Mark.

By the way. I am gonna try and do file renaming to get greatcoats for FJ.

I think at the end of the war, even by Bulge, FJ were FJ in name only and the actual jump suits were less common, we could squeeze in some Luftwaffe eagle emblazened greatcoats.

But still with FJ helmets. I have some old Squadron Signal books...including German Fallschirmjager in Action. Remember that book series anyone? I think in fact my oldest personally purchased book is from 1978, "Waffen-SS in Action." I was 13 or 14 or so.

I will go see the paintings. Ron Volstad if I recall correctly.

Thanks Mark.

By the way. I am gonna try and do file renaming to get greatcoats for FJ.

I think at the end of the war, even by Bulge, FJ were FJ in name only and the actual jump suits were less common, we could squeeze in some Luftwaffe eagle emblazened greatcoats.

But still with FJ helmets.

Hey Phil, I actually started doing that. :)

I have some of those old Squadron books, btw. Not the one you're talking about, though.

I didn't upload that sign package. I made it for ImolestCats for his Bulge Our River Map and those signs go specially with his map.

This package I just made, I tried to make it more generic and apply to various parts of the Bulge. I could go crazy and make dozens of signs but then I remembered that I got lots of stuff to do. :)

Yes, I agree, I dabbled with that with the Stoumont #1 sign if you look closely.

It doesn't look like I want yet. YET!

I guess it just takes practice and trial and error and time to see what works.

It is on the to do list. ;)

If anyone wants to make their own signs, here is what I used.

1. paint.NET (free download) to do the art changes as a .pdn file before flattening the layers and saving as a .bmp file

2. notepad++ (free download) to adjust a text field in your mdr files so it matches your final .bmp file name.

3. I can send you my unflattened "masters" (I call them) .pdn files

4. I can send a few suggested fonts for the sign lettering or find your own

PM me if you are interested. I am not some magician sworn to secrecy on how I do things.

• 1 month later...

Erwin, I gave them some weathering...how do they look now?

shot9_zps47a753e8.jpg

For the next 6 posters....tonight only, Friday night special deal, absolutely free, tell me the town or towns and pick from a) single arrow to the left, B) single arrow to the right or c) double left or d) double right. Black font on white sign. weathered low medium or heavy.

Dang, too late to edit. I already saw something I had to change. Too much white around the black arrow shape. I had thought to do this before but got all focused on the weathering.

How does this new Walsdorf sign below look compared to the older one above?

This is Daisy, my M3 winter camo mod project in progress. I can't figure out where the parts to the headlights are on the bitmap image!

shot10_zpsfa4ef0b1.jpg