Sign in to follow this  
ChappyCanuck

Disappointed

My next problem. I started playing the Devon intro campaign. The first patrol section with movement went very well. I ceased fire and saved the game to automatically go to the shooting range (part 2). As soon as I click "Go" at the briefing stage, everything freezes and eventually I have to force quit CMBN. I tried the saved game over and over with same result. Next I deleted the save and started the campaign from the beginning...always the same result with the game freezing upon "Go" and then having to force quit. Ideas?

I assume what you're seeing is the 'LODs' ('level of detail'), which are textures of reduced size and quality that are swapped out for items (ground, vehicles, infantry, building, terrain, etc.) that are further from the camera. There is little that can be done for this since this is somewhat hard coded in the game (to preserve graphics memory and performance). Most of the 'nice' screenshots you see posted you will notice are often at ground-level and close up. The middle-tier '3D Texture Quality' and possibly '3D Model Quality' settings may allow for the longest draw distance, but it may be barely noticeable.

Regarding your current campaign freezing. Does it always freeze now when you click go (since you have restarted the Devon training campaign) or is it only freezing once you get to the second battle/training-mission ? If you try a QB, does it also have problems locking up when you click the 'red button' (go) ? I believe Command + Tab should allow you to switch applications, does this work or is the Mac actually locked up ? Did you install the 1.11 patch BEFORE installing the CMBN 2.0 Upgrade and the 2.01 patch ? I don't think it would necessarily make a difference here with the campaign issue, but you do want that patch installed.

I modified my posting while you were replying. Do you have the 1.11 patch installed ? When you 'lockup', does Command+Tab still work to switch applications ? If it does, can you switch to the Finder and then back to CMBN and still have it locked up ? Do you get any sort of crash log when this happens ?

It does not lock up when you click the red button, only the green "Go" button at the briefing stage. I tried another battle and it worked fine....just having issue with this Devon campaign part 2. Command + Tab does take me back to my desk top, but CMBN will eventually freeze up after about 30 seconds and I have to force quit CMBN.

I did not install the 1.11 patch before the 2.0 upgrade. Does this matter?

...and yes I do get a crash log

Yes, you WILL want to install the 1.11 patch. However it probably does NOT have a bearing on the campaign issue you're experiencing.

You will need to install the 1.11 patch and then reinstall the CMBN 2.0 Upgrade (you should NOT get a request to activate again) and then reinstall the 2.01 patch. You may want to check that the game operates properly after each specific install.

If you open a ticket in the Helpdesk and post your crash log it can be submitted as a bug and Phil (who responded earlier in the thread) can potentially look at it.

When you click the 'go' button within the briefings, do you hear anything (game sounds) before you click or is it silent (you may want to wait awhile before clicking to see if you hear some voices or vehicle sounds) ?

OK so I installed 1.0, then 1.11 patch, then upgrade 2.0, then 2.1 patch. Guess what? When I load up a battle, all units, buildings, hedges/fences are RED in colour. All battles have the same results. I played with the options settings, etc to no avail. I am about ready to send this game back....grrrrr

OK solved the RED issue with shaders off. Strange that it never happened before.

I still have the problem with the freezing on the 2nd mission of Devon Campaign. I waited for the sounds to kick in, then clicked the green "Go" button, and again it has frozen. I will send off the report

I have noticed that in one medium sized game, "Huzzar", that after a minute or two the game freezes, then exits to desktop (did this several times), whereas I was playing another medium sized game without issue. It leaves me scratching my head

I have noticed that in one medium sized game, "Huzzar", that after a minute or two the game freezes, then exits to desktop (did this several times), whereas I was playing another medium sized game without issue. It leaves me scratching my head

That does sound odd. I can't rid myself of the feeling that at least some part of the problem is conflict with some other bit of software in your system. Perhaps something you don't even know is there.

Michael

still awaiting answer from helpdesk

Chappy - please try turning Vsync ON, turn high priority process OFF, and turn shaders off. See if stability improves and let me know.

Update: this is almost certainly a long-running OSX driver bug. I'll work with ChappyCanuck on finding a workaround that works for him, but a bunch of game companies on Steam are reporting issues like this. We'll see what we can do.

Today I upgraded to OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.5, and so far Devon Pt 2 is now working which is a really good sign since it always froze before. When I have more time tonight I will experiment with "Huzzar" and some other battles to see if things have improved. Cheers

Awesome news. Let me know if anything comes up.

For anybody else having this trouble, there's a bug in recent HD3000 drivers on OSX that causes random crashes. It was fixed in 10.8.4, but any previous OSX versions that support the HD3000 will likely have this problem.

Sign in to follow this