Sign in to follow this  
ChappyCanuck

Disappointed

I was so excited to receive CMBN for Mac - finally I could leave Bootcamp behind. I read the included document "Mac Performance Guide" and made the necessary adjustments. What I have is a clunky-looking, clunky operating game that looks like it is from the 1990's. To make matters worse, sometimes the game crashes and exits, or it will jump to the desktop screen in mid game. I am VERY disappointed at this purchase. Has any Mac users out there got this thing running? I have a MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB memory, Intel HD Graphics 3000, VRAM 384 MB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Macs do seem to have problems with graphics, mainly due to less than optimum graphics cards. However, a spot of tinkering with my iMac, along with some improvements within the game itself, have improved the situation. One thing that seemed to help slightly was to increase RAM from 4GB to 12GB. Another thing is to keep playing with the options until you hit on a combination that works best for you. Some suggestions you might try:

Vertical synchronization: Off

3D Model Quality: Fast

3D Texture Quality: Improved

Antialias/Multisampling: Off

High Priority Process: On

ATI Left Click Compatibility: Off

Like I say, try different things and combinations until something works. One thing that surprised me was that by turning down the 3D options, the image actually improved. Maybe not asking the graphics card to do more than it could made it easier to do as well as it could. I don't know...

BTW, be careful about running other apps in the background while you are playing CM, especially any that would be a drain on your CPU or graphics. Use Activity Monitor to see what is running and to check whether you have as much free memory as you think you have. Safari, for instance, is a big RAM hog and simply quitting it won't necessarily free up enough memory. You may need to restart your Mac.

Good luck and keep trying.

Michael

I was so excited to receive CMBN for Mac - finally I could leave Bootcamp behind. I read the included document "Mac Performance Guide" and made the necessary adjustments. What I have is a clunky-looking, clunky operating game that looks like it is from the 1990's. To make matters worse, sometimes the game crashes and exits, or it will jump to the desktop screen in mid game. I am VERY disappointed at this purchase. Has any Mac users out there got this thing running? I have a MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB memory, Intel HD Graphics 3000, VRAM 384 MB.

Hi - I'm the Mac programmer, among other things. We'll try to get you fixed up. As Michael mentions Mac video cards are generally not astoundingly fast, and Apple's drivers (the software that runs the cards) are generally quite poor. However, with some tinkering the game can look great and run well.

Your card in particular is not an incredibly powerful one, and Intel's older integrated cards tend to have less than stellar drivers across the board (Mac and Windows). In addition to trying Michael's suggestions, my questions at this point are: what version of OSX are you running? What version of CMBN are you running? Have you played / owned Combat Mission before?

A windows laptop with Intel HD graphics 3000 wouldn't do any good either.

To your credit, at least you did give your hardware specs.

ChappyCanuck,

Welcome aboard!

I, too, am a Mac guy, and I run full up CMBN/CW 2.01 (i.e., with paid upgrade 2.0 and free 2.01 patch). My system is an iMac Arlington 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo, 4 GB RAM and 256 MB ATI Radeon 4670. OS is OS X 10.6.8. Am not yet running Lion because of reported incompatibility issues with my iMac.

Unless, say, I have a charnel house of burning armor and attendant smoke to deal with (bogs a bit on turn processing because of the rendering load), the game works fine, but I don't have the splendid pics you see in the various AARs. I suspect this is something to do with RAM, but mostly to do with the lack of oomph in my graphics card. Unfortunately, my upgrade option for the latter is a) uncertain (may not be technically viable) and B) requires major/massive computer surgery.

Michael Emrys,

Have set up my Options per your suggestion, having had everything fully ginned up earlier in a test to see whether I could get the wonderful visuals so many here have. Didn't help at all.

Phil,

Good to see you here. Ever get the various anatomical impossibilities and other stuff sorted out in that item I sent you from CMBN?

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks Michael and Phil.

Phil - Yes I have played all of the 1st edition CM's...I'm running OSX 10.6.8...CMBN version 2.0

Okay. 10.6.8 had pretty stable drivers, so that's a good place to start. Redwolf's right that the 3000 isn't a powerhouse on any platform, but we can give it a shot. For all of Apple's faults as a procurer / curator of drivers, their relationship with Intel seems to be better than most OEMs', so you have a better shot of having newer drivers on OSX than on Windows. They may still be poor, but at least they'll be newer.

For starters (after trying Michael's suggestions, especially the one about having other programs running) I'd try, while in game, using Alt-R to turn shaders off. The shaders actually boost performance on many systems, but in your situation it may help to turn them off.

Phil: I turned the shadows and shaders off before. I just applied all of Michael's suggestions. It still seems very clunky visually. Something I noticed: when I place the cursor to the bottom left corner of the screen, it exits to my desktop. Is this normal?

Phil: I turned the shadows and shaders off before. I just applied all of Michael's suggestions. It still seems very clunky visually.

Has performance improved? Can you play small-to-medium-sized scenarios okay? We've got to set a baseline before we can try turning up settings to make things look better.

Speaking of better - when you say the graphics are clunky, do you mean in comparison to screenshots / videos you've seen?

Something I noticed: when I place the cursor to the bottom left corner of the screen, it exits to my desktop. Is this normal?

No. Also, I've never heard of this happening, and there's no reason that I can think of that it should. So! I'm guessing this isn't caused by the game itself. Is it crashing, or does the game simply switch to the desktop?

Performance seems about the same. Graphics: on close ups not too bad but as you move away it deteriorates rapidly....for example, as you look down a long road, the first couple tiles look great, and then it looks very basic after that.

It switches to the desktop for a few seconds...when I drag the cursor back it goes back into game mode. Very strange

I have a similar spec MacBook pro: same graphics setup, but running 10.8.4 0n a 2.8GHz i7. Don't know if that slightly higher spec makes a big difference, but Cmx2 will run happily on my machine. Not much help in itself I know, but it is worth persevering I think - you can get good playable games going.

On small maps I can have the settings mentioned above turned up quite high and still get playable frame rates. On bigger - and especially urban - maps I need to turn the settings down though.

But even at their best, my screens don't look quite like the high detail screen shots seen in some posts. But clunky? Guess it depends what you demand, but the CM gameplay is worth it I think.

Long introduction to my main point in answer to the cursor in the corner of the screen question: is that not a part of the MacBook System Preferences? (In the hot corners sub menu of Mission Control System Preferences.) I have the top right corner of my screen set up to bring the desktop back if I need to do something outside of CM whilst it is running (heresy, I know!).

Phil: I turned the shadows and shaders off before. I just applied all of Michael's suggestions. It still seems very clunky visually. Something I noticed: when I place the cursor to the bottom left corner of the screen, it exits to my desktop. Is this normal?

Performance seems about the same. Graphics: on close ups not too bad but as you move away it deteriorates rapidly....for example, as you look down a long road, the first couple tiles look great, and then it looks very basic after that.

Okay. This is (partly) controlled by the model quality settings. What do you have that set to now?

It switches to the desktop for a few seconds...when I drag the cursor back it goes back into game mode. Very strange

Agreed, it's very strange. You're running the game after a fresh reboot? Not that you necessarily have to do this, but it would help eliminate outside influences.

Edit: Sounds like PhilM may have the solution to this problem. Thanks PhilM! I would turn that off for a bit, if you can, and run the game. Also - is your Mac plugged in while you're playing? Power saving settings can kill performance, even on higher-end laptop cards.

That may be about as much as you can hope for on your machine. I was stuck with that for a long while, but with recent tweaks to the game by BFC it is slightly better now. You say you are in CMBN 2.0, so you do not have access to those latest tweaks I am thinking. The size and complexity of the map and the number of units on it have a huge effect on how smoothly the game runs. I suggest you start out with the smallest you can come up with and then increase gradually in size to find out where your breaking point is.

Michael

OK I guess I have to make do with graphics that look like the original CMBO :( That sucks in this day and age.

As for the cursor, I had no idea that could happen. I will see what I can do about turning that off.

Thanks for the comments!

OK I guess I have to make do with graphics that look like the original CMBO :( That sucks in this day and age.

True, it can be frustrating. I finally got mine up to a state that I am reasonably satisfied with, but I look at some of the screenshots and pine. On my machine it is vastly better than CMBO though.

Michael

Model quality is set to "fast" as per Michael's suggestion

I'd try turning it up to Balanced. The performance should be similar, but the distances at which things look good should be better.

To get the best graphics the game has to offer, you need reasonably modern hardware. An Intel card or older ATI card is not going to do the trick. That said, I've played the game on the absolute lowest supported spec - a Intel GMA 950, on a Mac with limited RAM - and it still looked pretty good. Not like CMBO. Let's at least try to stay away from hyperbole, it'll make the discussion more productive. :)

Edit: yes, the 2.01 patch may improve performance. Let us know how it goes.

Have just installed the 2.01 patch and applied "balanced". I opened the small training battle and it is working good. The graphics are still not what I would like, but so be it.

I will have to try it out later on a medium game and see what happens...will let everyone know

For me, the breaking point on graphics is the point where the frame rate is so slow even during an orders phase that it is almost impossible to precisely place the cursor. Fortunately, that seldom happens to me any more if I select a not too big battle. In other words, for other reasons I seldom want a force larger than a reinforced company anyway, and my machine seems able to handle that well enough. I admit though that there are times when I yearn to put a full battalion on the field, but it just isn't practical at the present moment.

Michael

Sign in to follow this