BATTLE DRILL - A CM Tactics Blog

Hello Bil:

A fantastic idea. A wish and a comment:

1. Any chance you could set the scenarios up for the original CMBN or CMFI. If I can follow your scenarios I thought it might help me rekindle my interest in the series. I would really like not have to buy more to try them.

2. I don't like QBs. I just like to play scenarios because of their historical nature. I am wondering if I can handle your training scenarios will the game scenarios still be too daunting in terms of complexity and workload? It seems scenarios are getting bigger in terms of number of units? And I also see in one of the AARs that we now have a 2-hour scenario.

Thanks,

Gerry

Hello Bil:

A fantastic idea. A wish and a comment:

1. Any chance you could set the scenarios up for the original CMBN or CMFI. If I can follow your scenarios I thought it might help me rekindle my interest in the series. I would really like not have to buy more to try them.

Gerry, as I said before they will work in base CMBN 2.10 when that patch gets released... I actually meant to have these work in at least 2.01.. I built them in the new BETA and for some reason, though there is nothing unique about them they will not open in the older version of CMBN (2.01). I think this has to do with the map changes that were made for 2.10. I have no plans right now to create these for CMFI.. though I am open to doing that down the road and do think it would be useful and that theater does offer some unique challenges.

2. I don't like QBs. I just like to play scenarios because of their historical nature. I am wondering if I can handle your training scenarios will the game scenarios still be too daunting in terms of complexity and workload? It seems scenarios are getting bigger in terms of number of units? And I also see in one of the AARs that we now have a 2-hour scenario.

Well what these will force you to do is think on the smaller unit level, squads and platoons, without getting overwhelmed by the number of units in the i.e. battalion you are commanding... you should be thinking big picture for the battalion command of course.. but down in the weeds if you use these techniques and take the battle one bite at a time then it should help reduce the overload you are feeling.

The time allotted for a battle really should not effect your thinking at all.. most of the time I think that is just an arbitrary number that sounded about right to the scenario designer. Most battles I have participated in, win or lose, rarely go over the 40 minute mark. There is rarely a reason, unless you have a stubborn opponent, to normally take a game to the end of the time limit.

Bil

Bill a quick request for this section.Some tips on infantry tactics in wooded areas.Always the bane of my gameplay,trying to clear out woods and getting decimated in the process :)

I have a lot of material i want to get through before I get into specific tactical challenges like fighting in wooded and urban terrain, etc. I will eventually get to these, probably as part of either a platoon or company level exercise.

Bil

Bill a quick request for this section.Some tips on infantry tactics in wooded areas.Always the bane of my gameplay,trying to clear out woods and getting decimated in the process :)

Woods are horrible terrain to fight in. Even worse than MOUT because the low visibility/LOS makes it so hard to build up fire superiority.

Hello Bil:

Nearly every scenario in the game is combined arms. And I am worried I will not be able to manage it.

I remember going through Jason's exercises for CMBB. I did fine until there was a combined arms one on the steppe. As soon as my attacking T-34s moved from the setup zone all three were KOed in one minute by German 76mm ATGs. It just seemed impossible.

Hoping that you will deal at some point with Armor fighting over open spaces like this. Or indeed with armor attacking in most situations. There have to be situations where the answer is not spot enemy ATGs and armor, call in artillery to destroy them, and repeat??

Gerry

Gerry, not to worry I will cover armor combat starting with the tank section and building from there. If you read the prep material before playing the scenarios then you should be fine, play it more than once if necessary until you master the material and feel comfortable.

The first armor scenario is the Tank Section Attack (tank section = a pair of tanks working together). You will build on that experience and knowledge with some tank platoon scenarios and eventually some combined arms.. we will stay platoon to platoon plus for quite a while learning the fundamentals.

If you find you are having trouble with them then post in this thread or comment in the blog and we'll sort you out.

Bil

Hello Bil:

Thanks for your answer and sorry for all the questions. Reading your AARs it seems your professional training really helps you in terms of using terrain? Sometimes I feel that I understand some tactics but implementing them on a 2-D environment like our monitor is difficult for me. I struggle very much to find locations with good LOS. Often for important units like HMGs in upper-floors when there is a lot of forest.

When I played the game one of the most unpleasant parts for me was trying to find good LOS. It just seemed to require an awful lot of work. But maybe it just takes a lot of work to find there? And the problem for me with that is when does a game become work rather than fun.

I am looking forward to your scenarios and material.

Gerry