BATTLE DRILL - A CM Tactics Blog

Thanks. I will contemplate making the effort (which BTW will entail trashing my existing copy and loading all the modules, upgrade, and relevant patches). Plus, Mavericks seems to have a problem recognizing BFC as a legitimate developer/vendor, and that requires time spent at the Helpdesk.

Why would you trash your existing copy for updating CM? My copy of CM went from 1.0 to 2.12 without reinstalling it once. I have to say I've even never did clear or move my mods while doing this.

The transition to Mavericks has been the smoothest of all three (or four?) I had to do so far. No regclean this time (although even that was not much of a hassle).

Good luck! :)

Good.

What comes next in the pipe now?

This tutorial is so cool I am thinking about printing it out and having it next to me while I play the game until I master all this stuff. :D

Hister, next up is the Platoon Attack Drill and then a scenario to practice estimate the situation, reconnaissance, and the platoon attack.

Bil

Why would you trash your existing copy for updating CM?

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=112698

I am surprised you forgot since I believe you participated in that thread.

My copy of CM went from 1.0 to 2.12 without reinstalling it once.

Good for you, and I say that sincerely. But keep in mind that not all of us are so fortunate.

The transition to Mavericks has been the smoothest of all three (or four?) I had to do so far. No regclean this time (although even that was not much of a hassle).

You've changed OS at least three times since BN came out a couple of years ago? There must be something I am missing here.

Good luck! :)

Thanks. I do appreciate the support I have received from time to time from fellow Mac users. It can be a lonely world out here at times.

Michael

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=112698

I am surprised you forgot since I believe you participated in that thread.

Ah, this. I forgot. Let's hope that reinstalling helps.

You've changed OS at least three times since BN came out a couple of years ago? There must be something I am missing here.

To 10.7, 10.8, 10.9 if I'm not mistaken. Technically not a different OS of course. :)

For 10.7 and 10.8 I had to do the regClean and reactivate. To 10.9 there was no problem.

Thanks Bill for taking the time to help people like me!

I've during the last 1,5 years picked up and put down CMBN several times. I really struggle to "get" how to succeed in this simulation/game. At one occasion I made a "leap" forward in my understanding on how to think. That knowledge came from the excellent Monster Combat Mission Normandy tutorial by The Games Pusher. Other AARs and the Armchair General presents Combat Mission Normandy Tactics Episode I-V also gave some pointers.

A couple of days ago I found your blog and I must say it's spot on for players like me. I need some (i.e. a lot of) guidance and too much generic text isn't really helpful as a start and only game mechanics even less. What I, and probably other players trying to "get it", need is the compact to-the-point advice and instructions connected to a certain situation. Reading your blog I found myself thinking that maybe this time I might be able to learn how to be successful.

Extra plus is your reference to real world combat, e.g. the usage of the Field Manual, I found the manual really helpful AFTER reading your texts, and added to the feeling that this is more a simulation of WWII than a game. Pointers regarding how to trigger usage of grenades was another great thing learned… The best part is that all explanations and examples are done in a way that is not "gamey" but seems very connected to real combat.

I've tried out the Infantry Tactical Problem four times now with different results, none a victory but still entertaining and I've learned a lot. I seem to always run out of time, but maybe next time…

I really like your concept of "unlocking" Combat Mission battles using a Toolbox and practices using a well defined and separated problem. Keep up the good work and thanks again!

Tojo

PS If only players succeeding in the various problems could post their solutions on Youtube… ;-)

Tojo, thanks for your post. It makes me very happy that people like yourself who struggle with understanding he game are able to glean some pointers from the blog.

As for the Tactical Problems, yes I do intend to post AARs of possible solutions for them and am open for others to provide their solutions as well. I would be happy to host those solution AARs on the blog.

Thanks again! Bil

Thanks Bil for taking the time to do these. I had read them all a couple of weeks ago and then you started adding to it. I have to figure out what I haven't read or just read it all over again.

Putting things in smaller chunks is better for someone like me.

I only have CMSF at this time but the tactics still apply. I just can't play the scenarios that you have created.

snipped from "The Patience to See"

"As a young lieutenant, my Squadron Commander in 1st Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry told me that the solution to nearly every tactical problem is to make your enemy fight in more than one direction at once."

Spoken like a true cavalry scout! This kind of patience is the hardest part of the game to master for me. Excellent training for Scott Coulson. Great advice for us! A worthwhile read; thank you for posting, Bil. Good luck and good gaming!

Great Article! This reminds me of our current Tilly Coop battle. We are at the point where we've reached the final phase line before attacking our ultimate objective. But we have had to fight to get there and are pushing off into unknown territory. We have about an hour of game time left, it sounds like enough time, but we are trying not to get a single man killed that doesn't have too, just as if we were there ourselves. Rapidly but carefully we must patrol forward along routes we want to attack. We assume it's no surprise the enemy know where we are...lord knows we've made enough noise with our fighting.

The BC has called an O group by the jump off point, While all the commanders proceed there for a palaver, recon teams and patrols have been dispatched along proposed attack routes to learn what they can. Information is the key to success here. Sometimes in combat mission with all these icons around and being able to climb up 300 feet in the air to look around its easy to get a false sense of confidence.

There are times when one rushes forward to take advantage of enemy confusion...this is not one of those times. When teaching room clearing in a past life, sometimes guys would rush in before everyone was ready. I would warn them not to rush too much, that they had the rest of their life to clear that room! Well, my rifle company has the rest of its life to take this objective.

Los

I've started a new section on the blog titled: Old Soldier Tales. I will try to capture any of the anecdotes I find humorous or interesting as I come across them, it would be a shame for these tales to be posted once and then forgotten.

First up is little anecdote from our very own Badgerdog about a little training accident.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Bil

I do like your icons (and other icons that other modders produce). I think however that many, if not all, icon sets do not cover all the cmbn or cmfi unit types, which leaves certain unit types with the default icon which does not always work so well.

Particularly it seems that the default CMBN scout unit often does not get covered and some sets do not cover engineers. Your set above seems to cover these two unit types, but does it cover everything (as far as you are aware)?

• 4 months later...

Hey Bil,

Just a quick note to say I'm loving this and I've now read it all at least twice as I'm waiting for my new computer to turn up so I can get back into gaming. I think that this is a fantastic resource and both novices and veterans alike should read this on a regular basis to review the basics in small unit tactics. I also just wanted to make sure that you are going to continue working on this as I'm keen to sink my teeth into the next parts.

Great job mate,

Johnsy