Upgrading Units Question

Several things seem to have changed in the AOC/AOD add-ons. Cavalry units cannot be upgraded by increases in motorization as they could be before. I see the logic there but I do miss being able to upgrade a few cavarly units to simulate conversion to mixed or motorized units as happened historically. Also subs cannot be upgraded beyond what they are initially built at. Again, I see the logic behind this but it does not allow for upgrades like the snorkel which greatly improved the boats survive-ability (it could recharge it's batteries while remaining submerged).

There also seems to be an issue where HQ and AA units cannot be upgraded for AA once they are upgraded once. Is this intentional or a bug?

In previous releases Cavalry units were essentially modded units from other unit types but in AoC/AoD they are their own individual unit type where as you've suspected motorization would not naturally apply.

For Subs, HQs and AA units I'd need to know which campaign you are specifically referring to as for example in the 1939 World At War campaign for AoD Subs are set to be upgraded to Level-3 and HQs and AA units can be upgraded to Level-3 as well.

Each campaign could potentially have a different max setting, and this could vary from campaign to campaign depending on the design goals of the campaign, and these can all be changed in the Editor as well.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

Thanks for the reply Hubert.

The problem is not that HQ's and AA units top out at let's say tech level 3 or so but that once they have been upgraded for AA they cannot be upgraded for it again even though the upper limit has moved to let's say 4. However, a unit which has never been upgraded and was produced at the same time as the other unit can be upgraded to the max tech level. These units are the same nationality and have no restraints on them regarding upgrading.

With subs it's even weirder. For instance, I can produce a sub at 1, 2, 3, or level 4 but once they are on the map they cannot be upgraded at all even if the max level is available is 5 and they were placed on the map at a tech level 2.

This is not a regular scenario but a mod that was imported from Breakthrough. This may be the root of the problem as the editor let's you import things which are not exactly same in AOD as they were in Breakthrough.

That is probably the issue as the units and some other data are not fully compatible with AoD and likely just an error in the Editor allowing you to import this.

I would say that anything unit related should not be imported but everything else should be fine.

Regular campaigns should not see this problem.