CMx1 screen resolutions

I've never personally used the Nvidia driver scaling functions. It's possible that whatever 'refresh' the game needs (Alt-Tab'ing out and then remaximizing the game) to run at a normal speed is getting tripped up by the driver's scaling settings.

The easiest path (and I don't know how good this may look on your monitor) is to probably use the monitor's scaling functions instead:

OSD > Image Control > Custom Scaling > 'Fill to Aspect Ratio'.

This will result in black bars on the sides, but everything should supposedly be in the correct aspect ratio (not 'crushed', etc.). The CMx1 series only offered 4:3 aspect ratio resolutions and your display's vertical resolution ('1050') is a limiting factor here, with resolutions that have a corresponding vertical resolution of '1024' typically being offered for it.

I'm not sure if any Nvidia driver for Windows 10 64-bit will resolve this issue. The ones available from 'geforce.com' that are WHQL releases are: 352.84, 353.30, 353.62 and the latest one (which you are currently running) 355.60. I don't know if it would be worth your time to experiment to see if any of these would work. If you DO decide to experiment, I suggest performing 'custom' installs and selecting the 'clean install' check box in order to make sure your getting a good driver install.

• 4 years later...

I was wondering if anyone could sum up this thread for a windows 10 computer 1920x1080 or a 2K monitor possibly since the last post was in 2015.  I am spoiled with the latest CM games resolutions, but I thought I could do better than I'm doing now for what looks like a default 4:3 resolution.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated to breath some new life back in these original titles.

NOTE: Totally unrelated to the graphic resolution, the QB setup screens are much more useful in the original titles.  Why does CMx2 not give you mouse over basic info on the units you are looking at.  101 different German halftracks can be hard to memorize, especially if you are trying to memorize every little difference in the Russian T-55, T-62, T-72, T-...  My brain filled to capacity at age 48 and I have to erase data now to get anything new in.  I'm afraid I'm going to accidentally format the whole thing and have to start over.  With my luck I'd develop an interest in bird watching or something...

4 hours ago, Probus said:

Why does CMx2 not give you mouse over basic info on the units you are looking at. 

A much asked question since 2007 when CMSF1 was released.  There were some retrograde steps made from evolving CM1 to CM2, but presumably there were programming/resource limitations.

I forget what resolutions I used with CM1.  But the ones in-game should work.  After that you could play around with the video card controls (fairly easy if you have nVidia).

It depends on how much work you want to make of this, what video card you have and what your monitor's capabilities are. There are pretty much NO 16:9 / 16:10 widescreen resolutions available to the CM1 series. Monitors may either automatically stretch out the 4:3 resolutions (ruining the appearance of many things on screen by making them look wider than they are) or they may 'box' in the image by centering it on the display, resulting in black 'bars' to the left and right of the image. Whether your monitor stretches or centers the image will vary on the model and possibly settings that it may have. For monitors that don't center the image and preserve the aspect ratio there are things that you can possibly do with the video driver settings to have it center the image. In the past this was usually a feature in Nvidia drivers, but AMD may have similar capabilities now.