ALLIED - CMBN-Market Garden - BETA AAR (the better beta beater reader)

I remember reading as a child an illustrated book about windmills, which showed how the sails on the vanes were arranged (some missing, some with a corner folded back, etc.) to make a type of semaphore code for the Resistance.

Edit:

Ha! Found the book -- here's the link for you windmill and polder grogs:

http://www.amazon.com/Of-Dikes-Windmills-Peter-Spier/dp/0385083874

How often the vanes/sails would be allowed to turn also depended on the function of the mill.

Milling grain, etc, could be done throughout the year, as long as there is grain. Oil from linseed and sunflowerseed was also pressed in mills and could be done throughout the year.

Because they were used fairly frequently these mills tended to have fairly short when they weren't in operation. When the mill was "in rest" the vanes would often be placed in the "short rest" position, with the vanes aligned vertically and horizontally.

Many mills located next to canals were used to pump water from a lower canal/ditch into a higher canal and finally into a river. These mills would typically be in operation after a period of rainfall to prevent the polders from flooding.

These mills had longer resting periods so the vanes were placed in the "long rest" position, with the vanes aligned diagonally. This to reduce the warping of the vanes.

Could of course also be done to the other kind of mill when necesary.

I guess in the screenshot the farmer wasn't expecting to be doing much milling in the near future.

Another couple neat mill-vane facts:

The vanes would always turn clockwise.

And when they were rested with the lower vane just passed the main structure it was to signal a wedding or other such joyous occasion. With the lower vane resting just in front of the structure was a sign of mourning.

Don't know what the actual resistance signals were or how universal it was, but windmills were indeed used as improvised semaphores during the war.

I demand mill vane mods now.

Now for a mea culpa. I shall prostrate myself before the altar of public obliquy.

You have noticed a little delay in the turns and reporting: This is totally my fault.

I have a day job. Something about keeping the lights on and food in the fridge. In order to prove my worth to society, I travel. I use a laptop on my travels. My Market Garden build is not working on my laptop...at the moment. Do not despair! It will be working, anon...

I have a work-around in the, uh, works. I should have turn up later this evening...

Now, this sucks. I know. My men know. You know. The auguries are inconclusive. I have emailed Bil and told him that I am willing to sacrifice a team in order to appease the god of turns. I await...

The good news? This delay will not benefit Bil. His fates are already written.

My BACKUP PLAN: Top Secret, NoForn, Wintel, etc.

I'm going to CALL THE WIFE and ASK her to DO the next turn! She has never played. She doesn't even know the differences between a PzIV ausf G and ausf J!!! What a newb. Anyway, if I can get her to do this, I will have gained TOTAL MORAL SUPREMECY over Bil.

That will be priceless.

How? If my WIFE can beat him, he will never regain his mojo. Admittedly, my plan is of such effervescent beauty, that all she needs to do is press the red button, but still... it'll be sweet.

It'll be fun having her run through the replay and try to describe what's happening.

If many men must die, so be it: the game must go on!!!

Or, should I wait until I resolve this minor technical issue? I need to know the mind of the masses.

The choice is easy: induce marital disharmony for the sake of the game, or await a technical resolution?

Vote here. Vote now. Vote often.

Ken

It'll be fun having her run through the replay and try to describe what's happening.

If many men must die, so be it: the game must go on!!!

Or, should I wait until I resolve this minor technical issue? I need to know the mind of the masses.

Oh, man, wait to fix your technical issues. Don't risk your marriage over this:D Unless of course it really will be fun, for your wife, to describe the replay. I picture lots of frustration and anger resulting from trying to tell you what is going on without the vocabulary to do it. It will be like computer tech support over the phone with a non techie. Not a happy place.

Okay Quentin, why is this thread not called Kill Bil 3? And where will Uma Thurman attack? Damn would that ever surprise Bil and be properly bloody.

Quick, can someone please mod the pilots into Uma-clones? Yellow jumpsuits and katanas IIRC. THAT should be distraction enough (for us, of course, Bil won't see them though).

Simple... I vote for plan MoJo - Ask your wife to press the red button (preferably when she is busy) .... for the sake of the game....and when she throws her stiletto at your computer :D ... she will acquire TOTAL MORAL SUPREMECY over Ken & Bil.... priceless, No ;)

Was there ever any doubt over which course of action I would choose?

The phonecall with the wife was tough. There was yelling, long angry silences, some sobbing and one particularly painful crying jag. But enough about my behavior.

The woman did a great job. I told her to describe what she saw. This is what I got: "I see a lot of little green circles. They're moving, but really slowly. Oh! I hear shooting. Hmm. I think you're going to be disappointed. "

She could not get more specific.

In the Command Phase, she adamantly refused to issue any orders. I feel I shouldn't sully her reputation by repeating what she said.

Overall, an excellent outcome. I will beat Bil blindfolded or my men will die trying!

I love this kind of chaos. My men's orders are sufficient for several minutes. Bil's feeble responses to my attack are of no matter.

While it is difficult to overestimate the trash value of your wife beating Bil, there is a potential serious downside. Suppose she finds she really likes it and now you are going to have to share access time to the sacred CM computer.

I think Bil would then claim victory in BF's name of having a new adherent.

Actually, you and Bil should have your wives do a HTH and write the AAR for it. It could be the first proxy war in the history of Combat Mission.

Wife 1: "My olive green thingy with the long barrel, shot at some square thingy with tracks, on the other side of the map. Judging by the German screaming coming from the square thingy with tracks, this was good."

Wife 2: "If I lose one more square thingy with tracks, C3K is sleeping on the couch."

Mord.

Your wife is a real trooper. I am sure she will appreciate the dozen tulips you ordered for her :)

"I see a lot of little gray circles. They're moving, but really fast. Oh! I hear shooting. Hmm. I think you're going to be disappointed." ;)

We celebrate this kind of chaos... Carry On!

Orders:

Scroll mouse wheel all way down.

Hold down right mouse button and drag mouse downwards. Release.

Whilst holding shift, place the mouse pointer in the top left of the screen, then click and drag to bottom right.

Release mouse button.

Press "m" key, then "I" key.

Left click mouse somewhere on the screen, preferably as far from the little green circles as possible.

Hit red button.

Eeeeasy.