ALLIED - CMBN-Market Garden - BETA AAR (the better beta beater reader)

Nah, I know that his AA halftracks are neutered. As is he!!! ;)

All of these have already been addressed.

My benefits:

- the Piats shoot too far. Really. Extreme range should be about 1/2 what I'm using.

- His AA halftracks can't reload.

My drawbacks:

- my antitank teams take a Bren gunner with them. I had to "cut and paste" my sections to get the Piat guys separated out. It hurt my flexibility.

- Infantry chooses the HARDEST cover to move through, rather than the easiest. Some cool (and good) reasons for this, but the dial is twisted too far over. That makes my guys (who depend on leg speed) fatigue far too quickly.

An up to date build, taken at this "frozen moment", would see me in dire straits. However, an up to date build would not have gotten me to this "frozen moment". Well, I hope not.

A NEW TURN IS UP!!!

And verily, they cheered.

Turn 19:00 to 18:00

Overview

019overview01.jpg

Above, showing the fun stuff. Jaggie 241 is redboxed. My CS tank is yellow boxed. Center Piat man is green boxed. Town is blue boxed.

This is a positioning turn. We're wrestling for an advantage.

CS Tank

019crommie02.jpg

019crommie03.jpg

This turn was a dud. I didn't give 'em any area targets so they could be free to engage targets they spotted. Of course, you need to spot targets for that to work.

Next turn, a 15 second target order, then FAST to a better position. Hopefully he'll live. If he does, I'll pull him out and help to fight Jaggie 241. (Panzerfausts are my concern. I'll shove 'em close after some suppression and see what happens.)

DUNES

019dunes04.jpg

019dunes05.jpg

More....

Turn 19:00 to 18:00, cont.

Dunes, more:

019dunes06.jpg

The middle is getting fun. Bil is adding more strength and pulling in. That's a concentration. He is sooo easy to mold to my liking. I'd like my PIAT man to kill his Panther.

Regardless, now that his combat power is away from the town, I can move the CS tank over. If I can disable/kill Jaggie 241. That's my biggest PITA right now.

Windmill

019windmill07.jpg

No. 4 Platoon may just gain the windmill. My center push has a chance of derailing Bil's total plan. That windmill is a pivot he cannot ignore. The entire battle will rotate around it. Punny? Aye, but true.

Jaggie 241 is key.

Hunting Jeep

019jeep08.jpg

019jeep09.jpg

My plan is to drive right up to the backside of Jaggie 241, unload these three brutes, and have at it with man versus beast! I've got one demo and 6 grenades. And a pair o'brass ones. It will be GLORIOUS!

If Jaggie goes, then my backfield is free. With 18 minutes left, the battle is mine!

Mostly. In a skewed sort of outlook.

More...

19:00 to 18:00, cont...

TOWN

019town10.jpg

019town11.jpg

019town12.jpg

019town14.jpg

The town sees more of the same. Bil seems to like to soften things up a bit. Tactically speaking, that.

He kills my one guy and wounds another with a long round. Two men down. Not bad. I kill another halftrack gunner. I've got some guys hanging about providing buddy aid. Because that's what the white hats do.

My arty is dropping around, not too hard. Bil has ZERO infantry about. That doesn't bode well for any kind of town attack.

My defense has left the obvious targets mostly empty. Like that house. Guessing at targets isn't that fruitful. It takes a LOT of arty to cover all the hiding places.

My defense is still at about 85%. But when you add in their motivation, due to the adoring way they look up at me, it's more like 110%!!!

One last one...

019end15.jpg

This could start next turn with a bang, no?

Ken out.

I've got one final screenie...

Egads! The final screenie is the one above. Sigh.

The mid/endgame is working out the best I'd like. Well, I'd prefer for some of the PIAT hits to've destroyed what they hit. As well, that Glider pilot PIAT team getting hit and the one survivor running out was not the best. Given all that (and the forces involved), this is how I'd like the battle to be working. Check my previous posts.

Time will be the key...

I have infantry. I need to get the company around the Dunes into the fight. I want them to get the road intersections.

If my timing is right, then I will be able to do so. If I've started this push too soon, then Bil will have time to crush my men under his tracks.

Ken

EXACTLY! Or, the tactically nuanced battle chronologist meets the gamey edge hugger! ;)

If they didn't want me to win at the end, they wouldn't have put a clock there, would they?

I feel like I need to rush my men at some more tanks. It'll be good for them.

(And, yes, I owe you a turn.)

• 3 weeks later...

Your patience will soon be rewarded!

My men have been putting the time to good use. Bayonets are sharp, grenades are at the ready, Jaggie 241 hunting jeeps are warmed up!

Soon, very soon, the hounds will be let loose once more!

Bil has confirmed that a turn is inbound before the Earth will have transited more than 1 degree of its celestial dance with our closest star.

Gird yourself for a cornucopia of screenshots! My plan will bear fruit! ;)

Ken out.

Like a well-oiled asian courtesan, I will allow Bil to grapple with me, only to slip out of his grasp before he can realize his dishonorable intentions! I will kick him in the midriff, steal his wallet from the nightstand and escape into the rickshaw clogged streets!

The end beckons...

Like a well-oiled asian courtesan, I will allow Bil to grapple with me, only to slip out of his grasp before he can realize his dishonorable intentions! I will kick him in the midriff, steal his wallet from the nightstand and escape into the rickshaw clogged streets!

The end beckons...

Somehow I think we can guess what you have been searching on the web in the interlude....

Windmilling

windmill09.jpg

Slightly left of the Windmill, my Piat guy and his Lucky Panther:

piatguy10.jpg

Finally. I'm about to gain the ONE thing that really mattered: the windmill.

A minor vignette to the right of the windmill: I'm advancing a Bren gunner as security just ahead of a crack sniper team.

vig16.jpg

Sure enough, there's a German in there. That's why the Bren gunner went first.

vig17.jpg

Ah. Nice. Next will be to clean out this vile nest!

More...

MORE!

Well, not really. Bil has asked for, and I agreed to, a ceasefire.

finis01.jpg

A true gentleman, Bil pulled his men away from the errant objectives.

finis02.jpg

Why did he ask for a ceasefire? He -claims- it's due to real life. Bah. I crushed his morale! I stated early on that this is not a battle of forces, but of wills! My enemy is not his minions, but it is he! ;)

In all seriousness, he played an outstanding game. Every move I took which I considered a gamble was not: he was already in position to counter it.

The beta issues favored me: long range piats (even if they were so weak), and his inability to reload his flak tracks, both favored me. I had minor issues, long since corrected by BFC.

If the game had continued much longer, my men would have been shredded. I needed a shield between my men and his armored firepower. The town gave me that, but could do so only for so long as my piat ammo held out. I was, however, firing them rather rapidly! On purpose, to slow him down.

Given the forces and positions, it would more properly be awarded as a victory to Bil.

The battle took quite a turn away from what I expected early on. Okay, my tank debacle was NOT a highlight. (High payoff, high risk. Ooops.) Afterwards, I adjusted to the circumstances and tried to leverage what I had.

Thank you, to Bil, for quite the game.

Thank you, the audience, for bearing with the delays and for not letting any spoilers spill. It's been fun, but I'm glad it's over.

Oh: I'm traveling. My wife begged me to let her run the last turn. She wanted to claim victory as hers, since our Thanksgiving and Christmas will not be consumed by my writing this up anymore. A bloodthirsty lass, she.

Now, I'm off to read Bil's AAR. :)

Cheers.

Ken out.

Given the forces and positions, it would more properly be awarded as a victory to Bil.

The battle took quite a turn away from what I expected early on. Okay, my tank debacle was NOT a highlight. (High payoff, high risk. Ooops.) Afterwards, I adjusted to the circumstances and tried to leverage what I had.

I disagree; I do think you deserve a draw based on the situation at the end. As you will now know having read Bil's AAR, his Panther was, well, a paper tiger :D. IMU (In my usage), Jaggies don't work that well against infantry because they don't have a lot of HE and their MG is somewhat limited. His Moebelwagen, on the other hand, assuming it were working correctly, would be a real threat.

But you do still have the CS tank, assuming you can avoid the Jaggie. And you also have a lot more infantry. So I'll call it a draw.

One of the biggest differences between this AAR and the last couple of Bil's AARs that I've seen is that you did a much better job picking your forces; I felt like in some of the other battles, the opponents had really lost before the opening turn. (I mean, possibly they could have won if they'd played a perfect game, but the deck seemed stacked against them from the beginning. You, on the other hand, were able to keep things competitive despite playing what I would not describe, particularly in the beginning :D, as a perfect game).

Even though you lost your MBTs pretty quickly and spectacularly, it seemed like you always had enough mortars and PIATs and mostly enough infantry to alter your strategy and put up a defense - I'm not sure that a turn went by where you weren't dropping mortars *somewhere.*

And of course it's not clear that you would have done much better with your tanks if you'd played more cautiously; fighting a Jaggie and a Panther is hard, even with a Firefly.

So, good job and excellent, entertaining AAR.