ALLIED - CMBN-Market Garden - BETA AAR (the better beta beater reader)

Obi-Wan,

Despite the brilliant AAR/DAR? allow me to remind you that neither winning this game nor killing Bil's tanks nor jousting at windmills was your stated goal. You were going to hunt down a certain doppelganger and Kill Bil... tick tock, c3k, tick tock!

I have not forgotten! Like a bad spicy burrito burning in my gut, my need to kill his commander will not let me rest!

Final Screenies.

20:00 to 19:00

19town26.jpg

19town27.jpg

Plans for 19->18 and beyond

1. Hunt the Dune Lucky Panther.

2. Envelop and take the Windmill.

3. Inundate the Woodsman's Lodge with 95mm goodness.

4. Use CS tank to backup the Town. (Jaggie 241 is in the way.)

5. Therefore, KILL Jaggie 241. Somehow.

6. Town, adjust defense as needed.

Ken out...

Re the CS: If I were you (and thank god I am not) I would unbutton it. That might improve its spotting significantly and it looks as if you are far enough away from anything with small arms that the risk to the TC is an acceptable tradeoff. Remember: Be offensive minded. Attack!

[snicker]

Michael

Aye. I thought of that but figured the first mg42 burst would leave my tank permanently incapacitated via tc being decapitated.

I also would not unbutton that tank, especially considering tanks usually go into a state of shock when their CO gets whacked... I am curious to see if you area fire the woodsman's hut or let the tank acquire its own targets (I would stay away from area fire in this situation).

CS Tank: there doesn't seem to be a cupola, just a single periscope, at least for the TC. The Brits used some funny openings for their crew vision systems. I thought survival with poorer spotting would be better than improved spotting and death. No area target for the tank. I want it to acquire targets of opportunity. After I see what's up, then I may assign area targets...

A mea culpa: My afv knowledge is weakest with regards to British tanks. (At least, among the major belligerents.) In fact, this was my first time using any of these vehicles, in any guise, ever. Did it show? ;) Not an excuse. I did push them BOLDLY forward. You get a feel for tank abilities and spotting behavior the more you use each specific model. Combined with my lack of familiarity with these tanks and tactics which stress exposure over safety (<-- UNDERSTATEMENT ALERT!), they did not do well. (Nor did I.) So, for now, I'm learning as I go. I NEVER experiment with units which I have in a game. (Not quite cricket, wouldn't you agree, Giap?) After the game, sure, then I'll explore characteristics which I found interesting. But I don't like to take a virtual time-out and fill my knowledge, Matrix-like, with information which I didn't have a minute earlier, game time.

We plunge in! Forward! Always press, and the enemy line will buckle. When he flees, the slaughter will be vast!

(In line with that philosophy I'm infiltrating a team at a time up the Dune Gully. Not impressive looking, but effective.)

Excellent battle.. totaly reminds me of the old ASL days.. although this is much better. Looking forward to the conclusion, and will this map be available for download? (not sure if that was already mentioned).

The map being used is a section from one of the master maps. So you'll be able to at least approximate it by finding the area and cropping a map out for yourself. Early posts in at least one of the two threads specify which master map was used.