ALLIED - CMBN-Market Garden - BETA AAR (the better beta beater reader)

Are you running a build that includes targeting delays for tanks that don't have good elevation to their targets? It would be interesting to see this in action if you have demo charges and get right up 241's backside.

RE the shots that killed your tanks: looking at Bil's pictures I don't think there is anything untoward there. It's ancient news so I don't think it is a spoiler to say that the shot that killed your forward-most tank was a front hull penetration. The first tank died from a front turret shot (the turret was pointing forward).

Bah! How could the outcome be BETTER than Victory??? If I hadn't (cough, cough) allowed Bil to destroy my tanks, I wouldn't have been able to suck him into the trap which is my Town Center defense. Like Montgomery, I have pulled the German armor onto myself.

Carry on.

You haven't got that victory yet ;), but I am routing for you. I guess I have a soft spot for underdogs. Obvously, destroying some of Bil's tanks with your tanks would BETTER the chances of victory over him killing all of yours within the first 10 min.

I must say though that you have done a good job fighting on compensating for your armor losses. The 241 was simply bad pathfinding luck. "After you old chap". "No, you first I insist" so far gets the prize for the most humorous screen shot :)

Are you running a build that includes targeting delays for tanks that don't have good elevation to their targets? It would be interesting to see this in action if you have demo charges and get right up 241's backside.

RE the shots that killed your tanks: looking at Bil's pictures I don't think there is anything untoward there. It's ancient news so I don't think it is a spoiler to say that the shot that killed your forward-most tank was a front hull penetration. The first tank died from a front turret shot (the turret was pointing forward).

The bold: I honestly don't remember.

Yeah, Bil's tank shot: he's great at finding LOS locations that aren't easily seen. Plus vegetation makes it harder to assess. My guys were moving and buttoned up. He had German optics. Etc. It was a high risk, high payoff move. I lost. But I will prevail!

;)

I believe that being able to a priori read LOS from waypoints of an intended move path is ludicrous.

When you've got to leave your vehicles to their own devices (and those devices IRL would include being able to assess shooting and cover opportunities on-the-fly), for a minute, it's hardly unreasonable to be able to approximately assess shooting and cover opportunities while you're giving orders.

You haven't got that victory yet ;), but I am routing for you. I guess I have a soft spot for underdogs. Obvously, destroying some of Bil's tanks with your tanks would BETTER the chances of victory over him killing all of yours within the first 10 min.

I must say though that you have done a good job fighting on compensating for your armor losses. The 241 was simply bad pathfinding luck. "After you old chap". "No, you first I insist" so far gets the prize for the most humorous screen shot :)

Hope that (my bold bit) is a typo and not an omen ...:D

I have an image of Vinnart, wearing a t-shirt with "I support C3K" on it, running from bush to bush away from everyone in his neighborhood.

Thanks. :)

Well, considering your thread has over 20k more views than Bil's you might want to consider a concession stand for your supporters - a stand offering free beer and a free "I support C3K" tee. There will be plenty of time to worry about who pays for it after the game.

Debt? I cannot spend the lives of men yet to be born. Alas, my battle plans are limited to those resources at hand. (Extrude from that, what you will.) :)

I see Bil's moribund thread has gasped for another gulp of air. Perhaps his retinue of flunkies in his war room have sent me another missive. I shall check the printer...

Ken, I’m a Guinness man. If you win, you’re buying right? ;)

Years ago, I was in a pub in Dublin. (How many stories start like that?) Anyway, I remember being a prideful young man, confident in my imbibing abilities. That's what prompted me to keep ordering pint after pint of Guinness. I was looking at the top of number seven when I realized I had met my match. That was the night before the morning that I saw a real leprechaun. But that's for another time...

Turn 21:00 to 20:00

A flurry of photos.

(Again, I'll let the screenies do the talking. Ask if you have questions.)

Jaggie 241

20jaggie01.jpg

20jaggie02.jpg

20jaggie03.jpg

20jaggie04.jpg

My orders for next turn: I thought I'd taken a screenie, but I must've forgotten. Anyway, Bait Jeep will CHANGE its move, and loop around to the piat team. The piat team will load up, and they'll embark on a safari-like jaggie hunt. Ahhwoooo! Ahhwoooo!

It will be a spot of fun, right, men?

More...

21.00-20.00

More Town

20town21.jpg

20town22.jpg

20town23.jpg

20town24.jpg

The town fight is progressing well. Bil is ratcheting up his prep fire, but any move by his infantry is getting stymied. He's got 20 minutes to do something worthwhile. If he's got a platoon out by the Woodsman's Lodge (my left) then that's a valuable resource he'll be sorely in need of.

So far, this turn is one which is setting up a critical turning point. Again, a lot of potentials exist: Jaggie 241 may be hunting my gun line (my mortar mob); I may kill some of his armor (another try!); his infantry needs to gain a toehold and pry their way forward.

A few final pix...

21.00-20.00, finals

20final25.jpg

20final26.jpg

Moving No. 4 Platoon forward will do several things at once. It will pressure Bil near the Windmill. It will relieve pressure on the Piat Team hunting Lucky Panther. It will threaten the middle road intersections. It will delay the jaggie from hunting the CS tank, leaving a door ajar. It will enable No. 4 Platoon to regain their pride having been rebuffed from the windmill earlier. ;)

Ken out.