AXIS - CMBN-Market Garden - BETA AAR

Are you enjoying the inclusion of the video vignettes?

I know you did not ask me :D but Yes I am enjoying them. Thanks for adding them and thanks for keeping them focused on the event at hand.

I do have a question for you. What are you using to create your clips? How do you get rid of the UI area on screen during capture or in post?

Hey Ian, happy to hear you are enjoying them.

I have been doing video editing for years and I use Adobe Premiere Pro to create these clips... I save out videos from several different viewpoints from the game using FRAPS and then I arrange them as desired to create a "story" and I then zoom into the portion of the video that I am interested in showing, thus cropping out all extraneous detail, like the UI.

Are you enjoying the inclusion of the video vignettes?

FWIW, I have enjoyed seeing them but they aren't essential to my following the narrative. If you found them to be excessively laborious to produce, I would not object to your dropping them. By the same token though, if it gets you off to make them, I am happy to have them aboard.

:)

Michael

Ken's force that was blocking 1/9 and started to break last turn ran for the gap in the hedgerow this turn... my Stummels pulled on line and joined the rest of 3/9 in interdicting this retreat.

9684142586_8a9bfbbf17_b.jpg

Ken must have had an entire platoon forward as that is what looks like was withdrawing.. call it what you will, but this was a rout with Ken's units running for their lives.

Here is a video of Ken's units running away. I jest, but this video shows almost the entire action, Ken's units trying to extricate themselves, my units firing and moving forward to the hedegrow, etc. A lot of fun.

9680904277_62c0cd4ce6_b.jpg

At the windmill, Ken's forward team was wiped out by my HMG team in the building. The second team that advanced with this dead team was not seen this turn.

9684142560_c1ee0a7f93_b.jpg

Bil,

Ah, the dreaded Drilling debouches! Too fun too resist! I remember the first time I encountered a pic of one and hadn't a clue as to what it was, never having read about it. Fortunately, Bellona Books took pity on me in my ignorance. For a price! Three meat choppers and a most unpleasant variety of woodpecker. May they last long enough to actually do something nasty!

War Movie lighting again, I see. There's a Twelve Step program for that..."came to admit we were powerless against War Movie lighting." Careful not to scorch the tulips!

nachinus,

I was pretty much convinced you were yanking our chain (more like chain factory) with Dr. Sancho Panzer, but your evidence is irrefutable, unless you're some evil cyber genius, which I highly doubt. But then if you were, how could we tell?! Well played, sir.

Regards,

John Kettler

Bil,

Love the vids (cracking good start on the antitank front), and I have to say I'm really impressed by the Moebelwagen animation. From what I've read and seen of the actual equipment, the unfolding animation seems to work as it should. Speaking of working, here's one in action at Arnhem. Apologies for the awful image quality.

While I love the shots of it and the Wirbelwind firing, I see no evidence of tank main gun level recoil forces at work in the tiny amount of firing footage available online. To the contrary, the Wirbelwind seems pretty much rock steady when shooting, as seen here in this vidlet. Too short to be a proper vid.

Turning now to the CW side of the house, I want to say the Crusader AA (2 x 20mm Polsten cannon) tank was called the Skink (a kind of small lizard). First read about it in Military Modeler ages ago. It not only looks cool firing, but sounds right for a 20mm. Granted, my "rightness" comment is based on the practically ubiquitous Oerlikon, so maybe I'm off a bit. Also, I recalled the Challenger as being an AFV in which the gun was pointed over the rear deck, so that the Challenger could shoot, then scoot. In doing fact checking, though, I found the Cromwell based Challenger was fully turreted, whereas the Valentine based Archer was a narrow traverse open topped TD which did indeed fire toward the rear. Who knows? I may actually learn something about British AFVs not supplied under Lend Lease!

Please advise as to engagement ranges for AFV kills you've inflicted. Am trying to determine whether the shots are from far enough out that German optics are mattering, or whether people think that's what's happening when it really isn't.

I have to say that Dutch terrain is very good for my CMBN induced claustrophobia. May require therapy because of those green walls! Mind, the Camembert and Calvados were great.

Regards,

John Kettler

Please advise as to engagement ranges for AFV kills you've inflicted. Am trying to determine whether the shots are from far enough out that German optics are mattering, or whether people think that's what's happening when it really isn't.

Range was short: Challenger was 530m, the last Cromwell might have been slightly longer but the other two were at around 300m.

I think the main difference in those engagements was that I had concealment while he did not. I don't think his tanks ever spotted mine.

Bil

The video snippets add a nice new twist to the AARs, Bil. I mentioned in the other thread that I hope others will adapt this feature when they make their own AARs. It makes the thread interactive and spices up the narrative nicely. Very cool, man.

Mord.

Albe Pavo, thank you. Are you enjoying the inclusion of the video vignettes? Do they help with your understanding of the narration? They are time consuming to create so I am trying to only use them for dramatic moments or to show off a cool feature.

Video vignettes are wonderful, they help understand and gives a "movie-like" feeling that is great!

Thank you for your wonderful job and many compliments for your wise aprroach to every battle! :)

The video snippets add a nice new twist to the AARs, Bil. I mentioned in the other thread that I hope others will adapt this feature when they make their own AARs. It makes the thread interactive and spices up the narrative nicely. Very cool, man.

Mord.

What? Are you implying that Ken is using videos as well? If so that's too funny as we never really discussed using them. ;) If not, what thread are you talking about?

Bil

What? Are you implying that Ken is using videos as well? If so that's too funny as we never really discussed using them. ;) If not, what thread are you talking about?

Bil

He hasn't been near as prolific as you. He only posted one. But it prompted me to comment in his thread.

Mord.

Bil, in one of your videos I've noticed a Hanomag gunner firing at enemy infantry. Has the vulnerability of halftrack gunners been changed/decreased in MG according to your experience so far?

Haven't noticed any difference to this point... but I suspect they are as vulnerable as ever... as they should be... not a lot protecting them from incoming fire.

Bil

I wanted to go over the current situation as it might be getting confused... currently at the hedgerows, Ken continues to extricate his force from the cross fire they found themselves in. Note in the bottom image that they were restricted to one narrow escape point.. and this was clearly in view of my 3/9 force that had long range coverage of this entire area.

1/9 is holding and advancing slowly as 3/9 makes a sweeping move around the right side to hit the enemy force in the flank.

At the Windmill, 1/10(-) is desperately trying to withstand the enemy advances as Pz Section 1 starts to move over the Dunes into the flank of Ken's Windmill Force.

9701962119_9d9071c2cc_b.jpg

As Pz Section 1 starts to advance into the Dunes the Panther spots several enemy infantry teams. The next couple turns will be interesting.. I am thankful that Ken no longer has any mobile AT assets for me to worry about, only PIATs as far as I know to this point.

9705196782_09112b3f45_b.jpg

At the windmill Ken keeps trying to push infantry teams towards the windmill.. I don't really understand why he continues to push them into the meat grinder.

Note in the bottom image where Ken has his mortar strike going in.. it has cost me about an infantry squad worth of troops so far, but I was able to extricate the Wirblewind from the impact zone.

9701962057_7db4549988_b.jpg

Bil,

Just got back from three 12 hour shifts for the weekend. Kept thinking about what I was missing here. Catching up now and enjoying all of it.

+1 to all comments about the small videos - they really add to your narrative...if that is possible as your narrative is superb.

Really enjoying the battle, and the terrain is quite appealing for those of us still slogging through bocage.

Half expected your troops to start hurling cows and small animals at Ken's boys as they were "Running Away......." Watch out for any wooden badgers he might leave behind near the windmill.

Heinrich505