AXIS - CMBN-Market Garden - BETA AAR

On the Dunes...

...while my Panther had fun shooting up skedaddling Paras, Ken had one brave PIAT team that had the balls to fight back.

Watch this video of the fight on the Dunes to see how it ends.

9718196751_df6893bfd6_b.jpg

At the windmill Ken continued to push teams forwards. One team makes it to the hedges and is able to finally force my HMG team from the building.. no casualties however.

The other team hangs back in a support by fire position and gets more than it expected... here is a video of the action at the windmill.

The Wirblewind was in action this turn putting some pain on two teams, one of them the support by fire team advancing towards the windmill, that will be the team at the very end of the video above.

9721425788_87bce741e6_b.jpg

Ken is on the move with a large force of infantry from the town towards the windmill and my right. No sign of his remaining three tanks... but I expect to see one or two of them moving as well.. I am waiting for that actually.

9718196755_04fb864b2a_b.jpg

Ken obviously has not read my Blog, especially the Battle Drill section, React to Contact, and the Squad Attack Drills.

If he had, he would have known that advancing this team at the windmill around the hedges into a situation where it was outnumbered...

9719485331_c61091a538_b.jpg

...would end in its demise. The grenades were thrown by the HMG team which recovered and reoccupied the building this turn.

9719485319_a60f5bdcb9_b.jpg

I hope Ken is going to call a halt to throwing these terrific soldiers away now... this is part of the cost for attacking the windmill... he lost much more than what is seen in this image, probably the better part of a platoon.

9719485373_cc2cc10e3b_b.jpg

SITUATION

This image shows that Ken still has two distinct forces. #1 seems to be all infantry... #2 I know has at least 3 tanks (2 AA tanks and 1 support tank).

Force 1 is taking up strong positions in the woods... his force is made for that terrain while mine is not. I am crafting a new plan of action now, I'll share it later, but suffice it to say that I am going to shift my focus entirely now.

It's time I taught Ken how to attack. ;)

9719485347_325cf91a41_b.jpg

I agree..reminds me of some of the hardware in CMSF. Excellent.

Cripes, that WW is a real meat chopper. Now if it would only slew the turret a tad while it fires off a volley, that could get really ugly for the recipients.

Great videos by the way. Thanks for posting those, much more fun than just still shots.

Relatively quiet turn.. Ken continued to pull back, my Pz Section 1 did some sniping with main gun rounds at individual soldiers.

I expected Ken to throw some mortar fire at my Wirblewind this turn so I had plotted a reverse move.. and it was timely as Ken unloaded several mortar rounds right on its original location.

9732061305_8331219355_b.jpg

On the right I have two squads with their mounts and the Mobelwagen that have passed through the only available narrow path while Ken seems to be throwing more and more infantry into the woods in front of them. I don't think I'll be pushing anymore over to this side of the fields... but I am pushing one squad deep into the rear.. if nothing else to give Ken something to think about and perhaps make him push more into this area.

9735291482_53b8320051_b.jpg

Near the town it looks like Ken is not actually advancing towards the windmill but seems to be consolidating his units in this area, some moving back toward the town, others laterally.

9732061311_b11873bb02_b.jpg

So... I had an email exchange with Ken today and he mentioned that some people were upset that I was using the edge of the map to move to the other side of that field (the large hedgelined field on my extreme right). I wish those who were complaining about this would have come in here, I would have explained it to you.

Here is the explanation I sent to Ken, do with it as you will:

I chose to move down that narrow strip on the map edge because it was the ONLY way I was going to be able to get troops to other side of that huge field.. it is surrounded by hedges that can not be driven over or through.. the only opening being on your side (as you well know).. so I looked for a route and was surprised that the first halftrack actually drove the route I plotted.. I half expected it to balk and try to go around the hedge the long way. I also have no satchel charges with which to make paths through the hedges as I do not really like being stuck to a narrow lane like that.. I feel very vulnerable and am only thankful that you don't have any aircraft or I'd be toast. As far as I'm concerned this is no different than using a small road passing between two walls or hedge lined fields.

Bil

If it's tactically sensible to use terrain that is on the edge of the map.So be it.If the only other option is completely open terrain,i'll take the edge of the map.This game isn't an arcade game like COH with it's my techings better than your teching.It's about keeping your guys alive.If there's cover on the edge of the map,quite simply use it.

So... I had an email exchange with Ken today and he mentioned that some people were upset that I was using the edge of the map to move to the other side of that field (the large hedgelined field on my extreme right). I wish those who were complaining about this would have come in here

For the record there are more people who have posted in support of using the map as it is than there are those complaining (not backed up by actual statistics 'cause I care so little I did not actually count:-). And then there are a large group who are ignoring the whole discussion so they can enjoy the AAR :D

Of course Ken is having lots of fun with it, in his Ken will be Ken sort of way, but you can read all that later :D

I chose to move down that narrow strip on the map edge because it was the ONLY way I was going to be able to get troops to other side of that huge field

This is something I pointed out in Ken's thread.

I think there was only one guy who seemed to be much bothered by it, but that's all it takes to spark a controversy :)

There is no explanation necessary Bil about your routes. The whole anti edge argument is irrational as there will always be an edge. It is a unique part of the game that will never go away no different than the ropes of a boxing ring. I say again to those who can’t understand real life is real life. No game can ever be a complete substitute. Adapt to the unique game-fighting environment as it will never adapt to you. When Panther tanks can be upgraded to fly if enough tiberium is collected then I agree we have achieved “gamey”.

Believe me Bil there hasn’t been a lot of complaining on this in the other thread beyond the petty. Most of it has been friendly ball busting because the models are actually hanging over the edge in this case for the lack of space there.

Perhaps the world needs a companion to the bumper sticker “My kid is an Honor Student at Blah Blah Middle School”, and it could say “My son is an edge hugging bastard, and I’m dam proud of it!”. Sounds like the perfect gift for Dad for father’s day :)

Ken has officially ceased attacking now. He has pulled back and is taking up positions in the woods and it appears is collapsing on the town as well.

On the right I am pushing one halftrack with squad as far as Ken will let me drive it... so far no enemy units have been found this far in the rear. This is only a diversion.. my goal here is simply to hold Ken's attention.

9736484463_2ee77c5d50_b.jpg

My first objective is to capture the small farm that Ken captured early in the game. I will go after these smaller goals one at a time, and see what opportunities present themselves on the way to my main objective.

9736484479_8e9b61dbc2_b.jpg

Okay, so the Sdkfz 251/21 is broken... bug report filed.. but that means it is useless to me for the rest of this scenario. Damn.. too bad too as it has clear spots on four of Ken's units, shown in the treeline opposite are an HQ team, a Sniper Team, an LMG team, and a PIAT team.. this last fired at the 251/21 and missed short. Its a shame to be in that position with those spots and to not be able to do anything about it. Oh well. that's BETA testing for you ;)

9741230567_954fbab4b6_b.jpg

Ken is rushing about a platoon's worth of troops across the fields just short of the town.. wonder what he's up to with them. They are fired on by several of my units, including this 251/17 (2/9 Platoon HQ's mount), the Pz Section 1 Panther and a couple MGs. All that firepower and no casualties noted...

You need to watch this video of the rush across the fields... pay particular attention to the HMG team featured at the very end of the video... [wink wink]

9741230565_ab02fba4e8_b.jpg

This is something I pointed out in Ken's thread.

I think there was only one guy who seemed to be much bothered by it, but that's all it takes to spark a controversy :)

Yup, that was me. But I would have accepted this move since the map is shaped the way it is.

I made my point a bit more clear in the other thread so don't worry about controversy.