Free Military Book for Kindle

Now and again, Kindle has free Stackpole Military books. I got Faces of Courage last month but the deal ended before I could post here. The latest one is about The Dutch Waffen SS on the Eastern Front. Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Eastern-Front-Experiences-ebook/dp/B00BZBJ91O/ref=sr_1_26?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1374274035&sr=1-26&keywords=stackpole+military

Check out your local library for tons of FREE e-books, and audio books. Most libraries have “e” sites where you can download them to your PC from your home, and copy them to your device. All you need is a library card #. My library requires you download a free program called “overdrive” to do the “e” transfers. I like the audio books best since it is SO convenient to just put it on my phone, and listen while I work, drive, run errands ect.. In this way one can multitask, and I go through about a book a week all FREE. The narrators for most of the books are fantastic! They often bring much life to the story sounding much more like actors than someone just reading a book to you. Some books even have sound FX, and multicast reading for each character. Most are with single narrators, but will do different voices for different characters. Check out audio books I think you might be pleasantly surprised in how it improves the story.

Check out your local library for tons of FREE e-books, and audio books. Most libraries have “e” sites where you can download them to your PC from your home, and copy them to your device. All you need is a library card #. My library requires you download a free program called “overdrive” to do the “e” transfers. I like the audio books best since it is SO convenient to just put it on my phone, and listen while I work, drive, run errands ect.. In this way one can multitask, and I go through about a book a week all FREE. The narrators for most of the books are fantastic! They often bring much life to the story sounding much more like actors than someone just reading a book to you. Some books even have sound FX, and multicast reading for each character. Most are with single narrators, but will do different voices for different characters. Check out audio books I think you might be pleasantly surprised in how it improves the story.

Excellent advice. I too use overdrive from my library and download books directly to my iPad for reading. However when I listen to Audio Books I often drop off to sleep..........

Thanks! Is there a way to know when they make a free kindle copy availiable?

Not that I know of. There was a fellow on the Wargamer forum who posted concerning the free books and that is how I came to know about them. I check every few days to see what is available. When I find others I will post.

Excellent advice. I too use overdrive from my library and download books directly to my iPad for reading. However when I listen to Audio Books I often drop off to sleep..........

Try listening when you are not ready to go to bed. I listen while I work, drive, exercise, do chores around the house ect...

My library has lot's of military books most of which I would never have time to read if I did not listen to them. Since I have been into audio books for the last few years I would say I have "read" over a hundred mostly military, and non fiction books about all sorts of stuff that sounds interesting. The great thing is if It isn’t that good I just stop listening and get another one free. Just a few that stand out that come to mind that the narrators gave watching a movie in your head feeling rather than someone reading a book to you:

“Generation Kill” Excelent narration! I felt like the I was there.

“Brother’s in Battle, best friends” (Babe Heferon, and Bill Garnure’s personal sides of the BOB story). Don Malarkey, and Maj. Dick Winter’s audio books were done very well too, and each gives more personal, and never heard stories. These are a must for any BOB fan.

“Killing Lincoln”, and “Killing Kennedy” read by Bill O’ Reily were awesome! O’ Reily’s reading adds to the story greatly. He did a great job with his voice tempo like a mystery unfolding.

Some great non fiction-

Any Steven King read by Frank Muller (one of the best narrators/book actors ever, but unfortunately died not long ago in Bike accident).

“Darth Sideus” Prequel to Star Wars that gives a great back story to Darth Vader’s mentor for anyone who grew up on it. Great reading, great story, and cool sound FX to create atmosphere.

”The Godfather”. Great multicast reading/acting. Even with The Don’s voice and everything.

I could go on, and on I have listened to so many great books I would never have time to read.

“Darth Sideus” Prequel to Star Wars that gives a great back story to Darth Vader’s mentor for anyone who grew up on it. Great reading, great story, and cool sound FX to create atmosphere.

I have a subscription to Audible Audio Books. I've listened to the unabridged Thrawn Trilogy which was very good; this also has sound effects.

Unfortunately I don't see a listing for "Darth Sideus". I also Google checked this and came up with no match. Would you be referring to "Darth Plagueis"?

boo sucks, they wont give the same free deal to a uk amazon customer account :(

shame, but thanks for the heads up anyway.

Aye they will, just ordered both titles now for free from UK Amazon. The link takes you to the US Amazon site and when you try to buy it tells you to go to UK Amazon where a quick search for the title gets you both books linked here for free....

Now I just have to find a way of getting them on my Kindle down here which may involve a long journey tommorrow!!!!:mad:

I have a subscription to Audible Audio Books. I've listened to the unabridged Thrawn Trilogy which was very good; this also has sound effects.

Unfortunately I don't see a listing for "Darth Sideus". I also Google checked this and came up with no match. Would you be referring to ""?

Yes, I'm sorry the book I was refering to is "Darth Plagueis". I was thinking Darth Sideus as it is about him too. The book is the whole back story from the third Anakin Skywalker movie where Senator Palpatine asks Anakin if he ever heard the story of Darth Plagueis the wise who allegedly learned to bring back the dead. The story is about Plagueis, and young Plapatine who becomes his apprentice, and eventually Darth Sideus. I’m not really into syfi, but this was a good story, and interesting sound FX worth the listen. Also, I was so surprised to learn there is a Star Wars encyclopedia online that has illustrations to show you what Plagueis (a mune) looks like.

I was carousing the list of books I have listened to, and here a few more recommendations if any are looking for some to listen on 4 hr rides:

In Fifty Years We’ll All be Chicks by Adam Carolla (Very funny)

American Sniper - The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History

Dog Company (Like BoB, but about Rangers from Point De Hauc mission. Lots of great stories, and the ballsiest thing I ever heard. Four Ranger’s make an entire fort surrender!)

Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt ( He narrates it adding much to this great story of poverty in the depression in Ireland. He’ll have you wanting to drink a pint of Guieness.)

Into the Fire by Dakota Meyer ( Medal of Honor winner in Afghanistan. You will see, and feel how things like PC ROE is total frustrating B.S!)

Swan Song by Robert R McCammon (without a doubt my favorite fiction book about the apocalypse. Much, much better than “The Stand” by Stephen King)

The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz ( The best, most amazing escape story from a Russian gulag you will ever read)

The Things they Carried (Very different book about Vietnam. Very poetic.)

The Men Who Stare at Goats by Jon Ronson ( So bizzar it’s great. People may not know it but Barney the Dinosaur played a roll in trying to break terrorist. They would lock a dude in a metal trailer, and blast “I love you, you love me” 24/7, and dudes would crack.)

Anyhow those should keep anyone busy for awhile. You got to love Mp3 technology.

Yes, I'm sorry the book I was refering to is "Darth Plagueis". I was thinking Darth Sideus as it is about him too. The book is the whole back story from the third Anakin Skywalker movie where Senator Palpatine asks Anakin if he ever heard the story of Darth Plagueis the wise who allegedly learned to bring back the dead. The story is about Plagueis, and young Plapatine who becomes his apprentice, and eventually Darth Sideus. I’m not really into syfi, but this was a good story, and interesting sound FX worth the listen. Also, I was so surprised to learn there is a Star Wars encyclopedia online that has illustrations to show you what Plagueis (a mune) looks like.

Awesome; This sounds like a very good listen. I do recall the interesting reference to Darth Plagueis. It's surprising that there isn't an audio book for "Darth Sideus".

Occasionally I like to combine the professional narration from Audible with the Kindle book using Whispersync. You can read and or listen through the book.