Operational Level Game Announcement

Great Glabro, that is what I am wanting to hear! That is what we are working on. Out of curiosity, what game system do you play on tabletop? I want to be as inclusive as possible to gamers whether they are computer, tabletop, or boardgamers. Part of the beauty (at least in my opinion) will be the ability to use all 3 formats...or just use the in-game battle resolution system to quickly resolve battles. Perhaps you will join the forum and we can continue further discussion there. The forum is listed in the first post, and I hope to see you there.

Thanks,

Matt

I've always thought a WWII game based on a Total War style of game where you have a map of Europe and manage settlements or regions like building coastal guns in Normandy region or tank factories in the Rhine region ect. and add events like air raids, bombing campaigns, infantry battles and then play it out in real time or turn based battle map would be a huge hit if done right. You could even have sea battle like Total War where battle ships go toe to toe or even UBoats attacking supply ships headed for Europe. And the air battle could be simulated but would be easier if they were auto-resolved using stats. The world map would have to be big to allow for strategic planning but not as big as HOI's campaign map. This could be done and someday will. I know some have tried but have done a poor job. Another possibility is using BF 1942 type of play for the real time battles. This way you can immerse the players as actually giving commands and driving a tank at the same time.

Well on the tabletop, "my" system is Chain of Command for WW2 platoon level. Bolt Action is popular everywhere, including here, and Flames of War for company scale, but I care less about them but will play if a scenario for these is organized. I am yet to find the higher command level game of my choice for WW2 but am thinking about something based on the Black Powder horse & musket set! The Battlegroup series (BG Normandy etc.) look very nice too.

Maybe I'll take you up on your forum invitstion when I'm back at the desktop!

My favou

• 2 months later...

Thanks to Matt for accepting my join request - guys, this project looks to have real legs, if you think you can offer a helpful opinion or have special knowledge/IT know-how, ask for access to the google group.

I'm pleasantly surprised that things are moving forward in a constructive way!

- Genosse

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The project is still under way, so no "Trons" here...at least yet. Since this project is being completed in our spare time, development is slow. Per my agreement with BFC I don't post very often here and keep most discussion confined to my forum dedicated to the project. If you are interested in the forum, feel free to go to the first post and review the pertinent information to join. I havn't turned anyone away yet!

While I am here, I will give a quick update: the latest is that we just had a meeting last week for finalizing the UI.  Most of the game design algorithms are completed, we just need to have the coding framework to the point where the algorithms can be thoroughly tested. And we are starting to discuss when the alpha version may be ready. Before anyone asks the answer is "too hard to tell right now". I will say that I would be surprised if it were any sooner than this summer.

I will end there for now, but feel free to come to the COO forum and browse the posted info, ask questions and/or collaborate!!!

-Matt

• 2 months later...

Hi Matt,

Copied from my google group post...

Thought I would swing by to see how things are going. I was a member of this group a long while back, July 2013, almost 2 years ago or so. Since then I have continued on with my own enjoyment of the CM hobby to include the so called CMPzC Operational system, a do it yourself concept first started by noob and then others and now myself doing some dabbling. In fact, along with another gentleman here in this thread I am thoroughly enjoying a CMPzC Sicily 43' Operation that is nearing completion after, gosh, maybe 18 months of play? I have also branched off to cook up my own CMPzC operation using CMBN-MG and PzC MG '44. It is in now going nicely in progress with about 8 players and we are on turn 2 of 6. I have 3 other CMPzC Operations in the works. CMPzC Nyakleves using CMRT and PzC Budapest '45, CMPzC Ortona Bloody Christmas using CMFI GL and PzC Salerno '43, and CMPzC Operation Hercules: Invasion Malta using CMFI GL and PzC Salerno '43. 
I went quickly through the posts here since 2013 and looked at the attachments. I will go back and do a second read/look. I can provide some honest feedback either here or via a private e-mail. 

Phil (kohlenklau)
Edited by kohlenklau

• 2 months later...

I was just wondering if this project is still alive? Haven't heard anything about it in a while here on the CM forums. If it is still kicking, how is progress?

AFAIK, yes. The last update was from June, the 30th. He talked about the interface of units' tiles

I will confirm the existence of this project! Development has been slow, but it has been happening. The information ironsturm talks about comes from my humble forum where I try to keep most conversation regarding the project. Feel free to join, the link is on the first page! I will give you a small tidbit of info; please check here and/or my forum regularly for likely updates within the next week. There hasn't been much to officially report yet, however there are several things that are happening.

Thanks for the quick update guys. I'll be sure to give the link a check. I'm excited for this project because I think adding some kind of operational level aspect to Combat Mission would do a lot of good for the game. It would add a lot of depth to battles, and would greatly increase replayability. Anyways I hope that things continue, even if its a bit slow :) Greatly looking forward to the possibilities! 

As promised I have some information to share: the time has come to pitch the idea to the general public via Kickstarter to produce this game. The TENTATIVE date is Sept 1 for the Kickstarter. In a few weeks we will be rolling out an advertising blitz on the internet, and we will need your help in getting the word out. Then we need to actually generate the funds with the Kickstarter campaign to make this a reality. We have assembled an impressive team with many talents, but we have come to a point where we need to generate enough money to get this game produced! This funding will go directly to paying for full-time developers cranking out the remaining game code for public release in approximately a year.

To give a brief update on the evolution of this project:

• the initial release will be for PC/Mac
  • will have multiplayer capability (we are shooting for up to 16 players that can participate in a given scenario)
  • the game name is now simply Combat Operations (though we still considering a different name) because...
  • the focus is no longer just Normandy. The base game will include scenarios from Normandy, Italy, and Eastern Front all in June 1944. Map areas, unit databases, and time scope will be expanded via DLC. Players can pick and choose if they want to focus on a particular front and time.
  • Combat Operations will be a complete standalone game, however as discussed earlier it will give OOB's to players for engagements that develop, and allow players to resolve the engagements manually with whatever game they want (like CMx2). Remember, this is Step One to reaching the goal of an operation layer interfacing with CM.

There is A LOT more information to share regarding the game features that can be found on the forum (see the link on the first post of this thread). A future goal will be to hit the mobile market as fast as possible so players can check game progress and/or have playing capability on your phone and/or tablet. More to come!!

Edited by choppinlt