Operational Level Game Announcement

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I just wanted to give a heads-up and let you know that things are continuing to progress. Last I was told, Combat Operations is going to be premiered on realandsimulatedwars.com starting tomorrow (Monday) night, and we have prepared a small series of posts. Furthermore, our website buckeyebg.com went live yesterday! There isn't much to see at this moment as it is a major work in progress. I'm hoping it will look significantly better by tomorrow night, regardless we have web space now! For right now, my forum will be the best place for information but I am hoping that changes very soon as our website takes better shape. Last item, we currently appear to be on schedule for a Sept 1 kickoff for the kickstarter. More to come!

-Matt

Vergeltungswaffe, Yep, that's me talking to a brick wall over at GHQ! Kinda similar to a real GHQ!!! Actually I do think I have a few new forumites as a result, even though there has been no response...so that's good. I am also on WWPD.net, which is big site for guys playing Flames of War. I am going to be on other sites hitting it hard the next few days as well.

I'm glad you brought this up though. You and anyone else should feel free to chat me up on any/all sites you see me on to help generate some buzz. And by all means, please tell as many people about this project as you can!

By the way, Combat Operations with be "premiered" on realandsimulatedwars.com in about 4 hours!

-Matt

Edited by choppinlt

Thanks @Benpark...I thought i had edited the link, but apparently not!

@IanL, GHQ is a miniature gaming company. They make microarmor, or in other words 1/285 scale lead miniatures that are used for a variety of rule sets. I used to buy (and still have) a bunch of their stuff when I was a young lad.

I had some thoughts in another website forum to answer in my opinion the questions or comments quoted below: 

Until the link with cm is developed, this potential game is no better than the tiller games that people are using now.

Maybe you can explain what sets this apart from what others are doing now for Free with other programs?

Here are my thoughts in response to those type questions copied from that other website:

I have participated in 2 and organized 3 CMPzC Operations that combined JTS Panzer Campaigns with a CM title.

Matt does have an opportunity to create a better way than CMPzC. 
Even without the BFC direct link, there is potential that his Combat Operations game could be written to include several key features that would make it much better versus using John Tiller.

1. CO should include a simple internal headcount tracker to allow a single place to enter the post-CM battle results. (JTS requires external software or ol' pencil and paper).

2. The CO operational map will reflect actual dimensions that can go towards developing or adhoc selecting a CM battle map. It can export an overlay cropped specifically  to support the CM map editing. 2 adjoining CM maps being produced will have excellent to perfect match up at the edges.
(JTS has the hex system derived from the actual terrain and development of the CM battle map is then a liberal process with limitations on tactics and continuity across hexes).

EDIT: To clarify, the JTS hexes are those typical generic types: Forest hex, village in open hex, clear hex, rough hex. Difficult to then cross over to a CM map. An entire 1km x 1km hex made generic but in a way to make the overall Panzer Campaign maps somewhat pleasing to the eye and run THAT game's engine. Like a boardgame map I suppose...

2.a. CO Maps are editable and any WW2 battle area could be created in detail. (JTS maps are not editable. You can only crop out from what they have already made. I had to substitute an area of Crete to be Ortona in Italy!)

3. The specific CM OOB's can be optionally used in the CO scenarios so no adjustments are needed in initial creation or to apply losses.
(JTS requires some creative assumptions to create the unit to match CM and when you apply losses.)

4. CO could use the same air power or artillery combinations that CM uses. (JTS air power and artillery strength must be edited to match typical presence in a CM battle.)

5. CO tactical battle objectives could be available to match the CM objectives. Exit? Occupy? Destroy enemy units? (JTS has an assault system which does not match well to the creation of a CM battle.)

6. CO could have an internal AAR system to produce a battle report that could be available on the Buckeyebg.com website or posted elsewhere. (JTS is a lash up. Bubblegum and baling wire. The AAR is something that falls through the cracks right away because it DOES take effort. But if folks do not see the fun, then they are not inclined to participate and the popularity of this genre of "OP+Tac" doesn't go upwards....)

7. CO must have editable saved game files. (JTS does have great capability here but not perfect.)

Bottomline, I am pretty sure right now I am the most experienced person out there combining CM and JTS PzC and I see that there is definite potential here that CO COULD make the process better/easier/simpler for me or I would not back it up. 

Then if someday BFC can provide a direct link to create a battle...whoa Nelly!

Anyway, these criticisms or doubts are very natural and understandable. 2 years ago I shot some of the same general distrust or disbelief at Matt and only recently after 2 years of actually hands on using the CMPzC lash up with JTS Panzer Campaigns in great detail as the organizer handling all the aspects of the operation do I see the opportunity that exists here if the community supports the development of CO via kickstarter.

Edited by kohlenklau